“Great place to stay in Boulder”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Rockford, Illinois
“Great place to stay in Boulder”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the lovely St. Julien on a regular basis over the last 6 years as we have family in town. We just stayed there last week again. The property has been very well maintained over that whole time period. The entire staff from valet services, the front desk, house keeping, etc. work hard to make our stay feel like a home away from home. Everyone is friendly and tries to make our experience a great one. Their standard rooms are not huge but certainly acceptable for an urban location, and as noted the bathrooms are wonderful. We have enjoyed the music in the lobby, the pool and breakfast at Jill's. Our local grandchildren often accompany us in these activities and everyone makes them feel special. They enjoy it so much that they would like us to live at the St. Julien. We love being able to walk to so many great restaurants near the hotel and the lively activities on Pearl Street Mall.

1 Thank PMag01
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear PMag01,

Thank you for taking the time to share thoughts from your recent stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa; we certainly appreciate your continued patronage. I am so pleased you and your family have had such enjoyable experiences while in our care, and that our staff is able to make you feel special and at home. While you may not be able to live at St Julien, I am pleased you are able to consider our hotel a ‘home away from home.’ We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

St Julien Hotel & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am so upset by the nasty nature of the customer service manager named Jennifer. She is smug and rude and we will never book here again. I made reservations with her and she mentioned taking a full "deposit" since it was a busy Ironman weekend at the hotel. I said ok but we had an emergency situation arise and i needed to cancel with one weeks notice. She refused to return any of our two night $840 "deposit" and was smug and condescending. I know they can fill the room with a wait list and they are still Stealing our money and making double. I even would have taken a credit to use towards a future stay. Nothing. No apologies, no concessions, and we will never stay there again. Now I am dealing with (nice) Mastercard to try to dispute this charge. It is bad enough that we lost all this money but Jennifer should Not be dealing with customers. She is a terrible representation of the hotel and their policies are off putting and unreasonable. Ps... we stayed last year and the hotel is just ok. There are other really nice options in the area.

Room Tip: do not bother. rooms are average at best. customer service is offensive.
2 Thank Cindy S
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Cindy S,

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered as a result of a member of our staff; your concerns have been addressed directly with that individual. In regard to our cancellation policy, I’m sorry to hear you were displeased. Immediately upon booking a stay, our guests receive an email confirmation which details the cancellation policy. As is typical with most hotels, cancellation policies during time periods in which large events – such as Ironman Boulder – are taking place, are extended. In our case, the policy was two weeks and was stated on the reservation confirmation. We certainly understand emergencies arise, and will always do what we can to lessen any burden placed on our guests, if possible. We were able to resell one of the room nights you booked, and as such we were able to make an exception to our policy, and have fully refunded fees for one of the two nights you booked. Our apologies again for the inconveniences you encountered.

St Julien Hotel & Spa
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Disclaimer: stayed here for a wedding that took place elsewhere, so did not spend a lot of time on the property. That being said, the facilities were excellent, staff very helpful and friendly. Did not partake in any of the restaurants/room service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Howard K,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa. I am pleased you were able to stay with us while celebrating a wedding at a venue nearby. I do hope you save some time to enjoy some of our on-site amenities during your next stay.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took two rooms in July and were very disappointed with the stay. We arrived at 8 pm to find that the water would be turned off in the entire hotel from 9 pm to 3 am that night. As it was too late to find another hotel for the evening, we stayed. That meant no bathroom facilities — no showers and no toilet, although the hotel provided a few bottles of water to brush our teeth. In addition, the air conditioning was not working in both rooms. While we received a discount on the rooms, we were very disappointed in the stay and their customer service. The visit was not worthy of a luxury resort.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
2 Thank itsago
Dear Itsago,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your recent stay. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any and all dissatisfaction felt during your visit. Though our plumbing maintenance was urgent and not planned in advance, I am very sorry to hear how it impacted your stay. I will send you a direct message to gather your contact information as I would like to connect with you personally on this matter.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were excited to end our Colorado vacation with a night in Boulder at the St. Julien Hotel. We stepped off the elevator, went to take a peek in at the pool, and were promptly faced with a sign saying the hotel's water would be shut off from 9pm to 3am that night.

Our first reaction was that it couldn't possibly be the water for the entire hotel, it must just be the pool area, because surely they would have alerted us to that major inconvenience by phone or email before our arrival. Our fears were confirmed when staff behind the desk said that there would in fact be no water at all during that time. They said it was practically the middle of the night and we probably wouldn't even notice.

As a couple on vacation, 9pm is hardly the middle of the night. We had reservations at The Kitchen at 8pm and were planning to have an after dinner drink and enjoy our evening out. To come back to the hotel and have no water to shower, wash our faces, brush our teeth, or flush the toilet was most certainly an huge inconvenience. To pay nearly $300 a night for a hotel without running water was tough for us to swallow.

We seriously considered canceling our reservation, but ultimately decided we wanted to stay in downtown Boulder and would find a way to stomach the problem. We ended up filling our bathtub with water in advance and using an ice bucket to dump water into the toilet so that it was flushable and took turns pouring bottled water into each other's hands to wash our faces.

Though the grounds and the rooms were stunning, our experience was soured by the lack of effort to compensate for the imposed unpleasantness. I would have expected such a high-end hotel to go to more effort to keep guests informed about the problem and perhaps come up with a more sincere way of apologizing for the inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Shayna F,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience at St Julien Hotel & Spa. I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. I’d like to further discuss this matter with you, and will send you a direct message to set that up. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to connecting directly with you.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here during CU alumni weekend so it was very crowded but the people were fun. The room itself was very nice. You definitely felt like you were staying at an upscale resort. Bed was comfortable, the bathroom had a large tub to soak in and lots of little extras. The location is great as well. We were able to walk to great breakfast places each morning because we were so close to Pearl street.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Jeff_Ham15,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa. I am pleased our staff was able to provide you with an enjoyable and relaxing hotel atmosphere, as well as agreeable accommodations. I am also happy to hear that our central location enabled you to easily explore beautiful downtown Boulder. I do hope you return again soon, and I encourage you to try our on-site restaurant, Jill’s, during your next visit.

Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The last time we were at the St. Julien was for our son's CU graduation in 2007. We opted to return over Fathers Day weekend and found the property showing no signs of age and the staff attentive to all requests. Last minute reservations for the sunday holiday buffet-no problem. A massage that afternoon for my spouse-happy to arrange. Dinner recommendations were responsive to our preferences and the staff followed through and asked how we enjoyed. The spouse reported the Spa was excellent.
The room is spacious and it is obvious to my eye that the hard goods and finish have been well maintained and updated as needed,
The workout facility and pool are well equipped although the nearby rental bikes and running paths through Boulder made staying indoors a waste.
Highly recommended for quality of service at a reasonable price for the value one realizes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Mike G,

Thank you for reviewing your recent vacation experience at St Julien Hotel & Spa; I am pleased you felt inclined to return after your son’s graduation. We enjoy hosting return guests, as they are able to take notice of our ever-changing amenities and accommodations, and I am pleased you felt our updates were suitable. I am also very happy to hear our staff was able to accommodate any and all requests you and your spouse desired. I do hope you return again.