“Top notch hotel”

St Julien Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 4 October 2010

There is no equal in Boulder...the St Julien outclasses all the rest of the places to stay in town. The facility itself is lovely, beautifully maintained and designed to resemble a classic Rocky Mountain lodge. Add top notch service and a great downtown location to the formula and you have the perfect place to stay when visiting Boulder.

The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. We had a balcony room facing the Flatiron mountains and the view was worth the extra cost. The rooms have all of the expected amenities and the bathrooms are spectacular.

The restaurants and bars in the hotel have seating areas inside and also offer patio dining. The public spaces are tastefully designed and decorated and the gardens make for a pleasurable backdrop when enjoying meals or drinks outside. The hotel is located just a block or two from the outdoor Pearl Street Mall which provides shopping, dining and entertainment par excellance.

It was also a pleasure to find such a well trained staff. Everyone seemed intent on making the guests feel welcome and helping however they could to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St Julien Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 4 October 2010

I travel a lot on and this hotel exceeded our expectations in every level. Impeccable room design, great spa, perfect location. The restaurant on site Jlill's is excellent as well. If you wan tan upscale experience in Boulder, this is where you should stay,

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MBNewYork_NY
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Only one night while on business, but hotel staff was tops. Beautiful hotel in downtown Boulder.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I've never written a review of a hotel before and I hope that I can accurately describe my visit at The St. Julien in Boulder, CO.

Having only been to Boulder once, and that was just for a few hours, there was something about the charm and energy of the city that made me want to return when I had some leisure time to explore. When I visited for a day (while returning from Estes Park a month earlier) I had walked by one of the vintage hotels near the Pearl Street mall area and almost made a reservation there. However, having stayed at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO just a few weeks earlier, I was ready for something a bit newer. I then came to this site and found the St. Julien, checked out their website and decided to gamble on a site-unseen hotel. I'm not one to trust hotel photos and I will say that they are accurate, if not understated. I did not make my reservations online, but I did check the rates. I then called one evening and I experienced a high level of personalized service and made the reservation over the phone. I was surprised that I was speaking directly to a front desk person and not a back-room reservations agent. It was never a sales pitch, although I did opt for the upgraded Spa package...which I used. In a nutshell, not being a Spa person, the facilities and the service was first rate. I also knew I would be staying over a holiday weekend and was not expecting any bargain-basement deals.

Simply stated, in case you don't want to read further, my expectations were exceeded and the St. Julien delivered an experience that mirrored the best of the upscale Boulder lifestyle.

From the moment I drove up to the entrance and the method in which I was greeted to the time I checked out, it seems that this hotel prides itself on personalized service. Being a solo traveler, I depended on the staff to guide me to various restaurants, areas and sights and every recommendation was exactly what I was looking for. One great touch was the "loaner" bicycles that can be used to ride around the city or the designated bike paths and the details of the bike paths delivered by the staff. Yes, Boulder is a very bicycle-friendly city and this hotel is located just a few blocks to the entrance of great canyon and city paths.

I happened to be there over a holiday weekend and was told that the Friday Evening parties were something I needed to attend. The weather was perfect and the live band had the locals and guests on the outdoor dance floor for hours. I'm guessing there were a few hundred folks at the open party. The attitude of every employee I encountered was superlative and everything I experienced from having a late night dinner at the bar, using the spa to the Concierge services far exceeded my expectations.

I paid for a top of the line room and although I arrived in the evening and didn't see the balcony's backdrop, in the morning, when I saw the view of the Flat Iron Mountains, I was taken aback. Yes, the room was pricey and definitely not a bargain, but for what I was seeking in a getaway trip, it was exactly what I was looking for. This hotel may not be for the bargain hunter, but those looking for a well located, full service experience will want to consider the St. Julien.

If you've ever traveled to higher altitude cities, you already know that consuming water is a necessity due to the dry climate. It was a pleasure to see a constantly well stocked supply of bottled water without price tags. Yes, free bottled water! (It's funny how the small touches make such a large impression!).

While I don't consider myself a demanding guest, the staff could not have been more accommodating and professional and the location to Downtown Boulder was great...just a few minute walk to numerous restaurants and retail stores. One one occasion, when heading out for a late breakfast, I stopped by the Concierge to ask about a specific restaurant and asked if there would be any problem getting a place at the bar to eat (it was, after all, a holiday weekend). Without hesitation, she called the restaurant and had them hold me a place. I'm glad she did as it was the only seat in the house!

I never felt that the staff was working for tips and when tips were offered, they were very gracious without making you feel that you had to tip at ever corner. In this category of hotel, that was an unexpected pleasure.

In my opinion, this hotel seems to be what Boulder is all about: Modern, Young, Hip, Fun and yes, Green. With that said, and as stated previously, the lobby and outdoors area can be rowdy at times. But, unless you want to go to bed before 10pm on a weekend, it will not be a problem. Yes, depending on the room location, you may be able to hear the band playing on designated evenings. For me, this was not a problem as I was enjoying the party atmosphere. At other times, the lobby can be a great place to read or have a drink and the surroundings are modern and gorgeous.

The criticisms I have are minor. One is something that I share with many other hotels and that's with the in-room TV system. These days, just about every hotel has flat screen TVs, but don't offer HDTV channels. While I'm not staying in this type of hotel to watch TV, it would be nice to have at least the local channels in HDTV.

The wireless Internet could use some improvement. But, it was free.

When I arrived it was after sundown and it seemed that the driveway entrance could have been lit better. There was an illuminated canopy entrance though.

The only other thing I can add is that I was there for four days prior to the fire and left (as scheduled) on the morning of the second day of the fire. When the fire started (you could see the smoke as this hotel is located near the base of the mountain range), the news channels were delivering wall-to-wall coverage. Since I was scheduled to depart the next morning, I considered checking out a day early and staying near the airport in Denver. I asked a few hotel Staff Members is this is something that I should be concerned about and was told that if it became a dangerous situation that the guests would be notified and assisted.

While (obviously) the hotel staff had no control over the fire and the ensuing smoke, I felt comfortable, (although a bit troubled about a fire in the mountain range) that if it would have headed this way, the guests would be attended to in a timely manner.

As I write this (long-winded) review, my thoughts are with the people of Boulder that the fire is extinguished and that the city promptly returns to the great, fun place it was as recently as last week.

Will I return to the St. Julien?

Yes and I will recommend it to my friends!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QualityIsBetter
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My family and I spent 3 nights here recently. This a wonderful hotel with comfortable, modern, bright and spacious rooms located in the heart of Boulder only a block away from the Pearl Street pedestrian mall which has great restaurants and shops.

It is across the road from the Canyon Trail which extends along Canyon Creek into the mountains and south through the town.Great for walking or biking. The hotel provides bicycles and helmets free of charge.

There is a beautiful pool which although located indoors is not overheated and does not have the odour of pool chemicals.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.

This a great place to stay if you want to explore the nearby wonders of the Rocky Mountains but are not the camping type and like to be pampered.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We've stayed at this marvelous hotel since it opened five years ago. I have always said that they have the potential to surpass The Broadmoor as one of Colorado's best hotel.

Saying that, our recent stay has made me downgrade this charmer from a 4.9* to a couple of minor points down. Why, looks like maintenance is lacking. Nothing in the way of the rooms (except our room had a carpet stain!) but the base boards are scuffed in places and the hallway carpeting, in places, looks frayed and/or needing a deep cleaning. On the other hand, the spa is truly a remarkable facility. Hope they take care of this minor problems, because 5* hotels always manage to do so.....

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The St. Julien exceeded my expectations as soon as I pulled up to the entrance. It was a my first time to Boulder for a business trip, and I was very lucky to have such a good experience in a short time. My corner room was spacious and modern, with a sizable bathroom and floor to ceiling window views. The attention to detail from hotel staff was evident in how they communicated food and drink options, as well as the hotel spa and entertainment options. The breakfast was really yummy and hotel bar/lounge had great cocktails. A quick tour of the spa was lovely and tempting, although I did not have time for a treatment. I would stay here again for pleasure in a second.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business