“What a find!”

Alps Boulder Canyon Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Boulder B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Quirky former Elks (?) Lodge has been turned into a really neat Victorian inn. Very friendly, helpful staff; also friendly guests. Loved the music piped into the rooms (wall switch allowed for volume or to turn off), fireplaces, stained glass, taxidermy in common areas. Lodge style building was beautifully restored. Breakfast was also a real treat. Good hiking/biking along canyon trails, steps from the front door. One of the best values of any place in Colorado. Hard to believe Boulder is only a few minutes drive, as you feel you're in the middle of nowhere. By the way, for cell phone junkies, you are in the middle of nowhere - cells don't seem to work at all in the Canyon. No loss to me, but my husband was getting a little nervous. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there's a bad room in this place!
1  Thank glynispm2

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was a lucky find for me. I loved this place. Having come from the UK for a 2 week visit on business this was a very pleasant alternative to a standard hotel. With its Arts and Crafts movement decor and a fire blazing in the grate each morning for breakfast and in the evening after returning from town after dinner, I could not have asked for a better "home from home". The room I was staying in (Wallstreet) was to a high standard, with lovely features and great attention to detail. The furnishings throughout were clearly the result of a love of this special period of design.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

The room had stained glass windows and doors. We had a remote control for air conditioner. The tiffany lamps were nice. The bed was comfortable. Beautiful bedroom fireplace and furniture. The speaker music in the bedroom was nice. Breakfast was yummy it was french toast and quiche. Thank you. Rita Bennett and Steve Nordstrom

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank ilovetotravvel2
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Moving my freshman daughter to CU, I wanted a place close enough to help when needed, yet far enough not to helicopter. The Alps was just the place and then some. It is charming, relaxed, and a true reflection of its owners and staff. Breakfasts were delicious! As I ran each morning on the nearby trails during official breakfast time, staff kindly prepared a plate for me to enjoy upon my return. Whether you want to just hang out at the Inn enjoying the beautiful surroundings, or venture the short distance into town...the Alps Inn is the place! Only downside is the proximity to the road, I stayed in the front of the Inn and heard the sound of cars swooshing by...closing the windows helped, not a deal breaker. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I had an opportunity to see many of the rooms...all are very unique. There is something for everyone...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This Inn was disappointing enough to me that we found another place to stay after the first night. It should be charming but it falls short. The house is lovely but needs more care. There is junk stored on a section of the porch, the room smelled kind of dank to me, and the addition of spa tubs in the rooms (from years ago) was a mistake in my opinion as they take away from the asthetic appeal of the rooms. The traffic noise was loud and relentless until very late at night. There is a nice balcony and a nice sitting room on the second floor and some nice furnishings. The young lady who checked us in was very sweet and proffesional. The owners live in the house and their dog came running down the length of the porch snarling at me. I had to put my bicycle between us. I love dogs, and I didn't even bother to tell the owners. But, I thought it was crazy to have that happen. Overall I just wish I hadn't wasted any of my vacation time at this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skipper44
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and I have mixed feelings about our stay. First, the positives: We arrived well before check-in and were accommodated by the effervescent Maddy (Maddie?) who gave a quick tour of the lodge and to our room.
The beds were comfy and our room was in the back, second level and quiet. As another reviewer noted, though the inn is situated on a busy road, we still had the sense we were tucked away somewhere cozy, with the hummingbirds entertaining us. A steady supply of homemade cookies, juice, coffee and tea were available downstairs.
The bathroom is probably grounds to have our room (The Crissman) temporarily closed for repairs...there were rows of floor tiles missing, peeling and jutting off the floor by the shower - no tub -(covered up by 2 small hand towels). Additionally, the way the rooms were described on the website are misleading as it doesn't specify only some rooms (or none??) have a mini fridge, jetted tub (our room had neither) and there was certainly no sign of the "spa" alluded to in the information provided by the website. Since none of these amenities were of interest to us, we didn't care but I imagine a couple looking for a romantic w/e away would be upset. Perhaps there are still rooms with these perks available and can be requested upon reservation...I don't know.
There is a nice outdoor patio as well as the dining room where you can have breakfast which is served downstairs daily from 8-9:30 a.m. (so for us bed lovers, a long sleep-in was a no-go!). The food is a set menu and a bit inconsistent in freshness & quality...sometimes very good & sometimes seemed more than day-old and microwaved.
I explored the property outside and it is screaming for attention as it was hard to tell if projects were just starting up, abandoned mid-project or what....piles of bricks and general detritus all over the place, a fountain and outdoor garden pond that had water in them but weren't running etc.
The general vibe of the place was relaxed but very, very tired. It feels like the Alps had been a great success years ago, efforts were made to expand and then someone, or their funds, ran out of steam.
We were not sorry to have stayed here but there are so many ways this place could improve and be a truly amazing spot.
2 other quick notes: The driveway comes up on the road in a hurry, with no signage whatsoever and we drove past it, having to enter via the exit. There is also an ancient, lovable old dog living on the premises with free roaming privileges so if you have a fear of, or allergy to, dogs, or object to them in the dining room, you may want to consider this.

Room Tip: If you're looking for spa-like amenities in your room, you're best to specify this from the...
3  Thank NatureNut_12
Reviewed 7 August 2013

While situated on a busy canyon road, once you step it--it is blissfully quiet. Our room in the back was large, comfy and also very quiet--made for a good night's sleep. Breakfast was good--excellent coffee and the quiche was wonderful.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back