“I love the Briar Rose”

Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Boulder B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2009

The Briar Rose is lovely and peaceful with a sweet staff, and a wonderful meditation room.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2009

The Briar Rose is a nice enough B&B but nothing really special in terms of service or amenities. It does, however, have a number of special aspects.

Unlike most B&B's, the Briar Rose is not run primarily by the owner - instead it is more a "community", apparently staffed mostly by present or former students from Naropa University, across the street. Naropa provides a "Buddhist Inspired Contemplative Education" and you can participate in meditation at the Briar Rose if you wish. While these folks are very sweet and caring, being innkeepers is not their forte.

The room itself (The Windom) was clean, a decent size, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom adequate. But, when I turned on the AC I discovered that the power cord was damaged and getting quite hot. I reported the problem as I left for shopping. When I returned the AC had been turned back on and I was told, essentially, not to worry about it. Sorry - I don't think so. As an engineer and home owner I know that cord is a hazard and needs to be replaced. Perhaps a more experienced staff would recognize the danger.

Location - while the photos and words on the Briar Rose's web site would have you believe "Our gardens offer a private retreat", the reality is that the gardens front on a very busy, 4 lane road. When you arrive, you cannot even park in front because there is no parking lane. The traffic noise is significant. Without the AC we kept the windows open and our room was very noisy through most of the night . The location is convenient to Pearl Street (I think it's about a 0.7 mile walk to the east end of the mall).

Breakfast - Breakfast was fine, but nothing you might not make for yourself at home. I've certainly had both better and worse at other B&B's.

Value - The room rate seems a bit steep for what you actually get, compared to other B&B's. However, if you like becoming part of the community, go for it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
BRBB, owner at Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2009

I would like to respond to this review to make it clear that we dealt with this guest's concern promptly and appropriately. We appreciated
this guest alerting us to his concern related to the AC in the room. We took his concern very seriously, our staff member contacted me immediately. I consulted with our master electrician (who wired that building) immediately upon hearing of his concern, and while the guest was out we plugged the AC back into the wall and monitored it to see how hot it got. It got warm, but not hot enough to be of concern; certainly not
hot enough to be a fire danger. Our electrician said it was not dangerous. He said that the warmth was caused by the outlet being old
(not a damaged cord), so that the connection was not optimal, but that there was no electrical danger. He said that it might be a good idea to
replace the outlet, which we will do, but that it was not urgent. While I appreciate the guest's concern, and his appropriate response based on
his concern, we dealt with the situation immediately and appropriately.

I would also like to point out that the guest's description of our location is inaccurate: Arapahoe Ave. is a two-lane street in the downtown area. (It becomes four lanes two blocks east of the B&B.) The street is too narrow to allow parking, but there is ample parking on the cross street (22nd St.), as well as in our two small parking lots (with
7 spaces altogether.) People's experience of noise is very individual. Some of our rooms are exceptionally quiet, and this specific room is the room of choice for a number of repeat guests.

Gary Hardin
Owner, Briar Rose B&B

Reviewed 13 May 2009

The difference between the hotels I usually stay at for business, and the Briar Rose is obvious = they take care of you at the Briar Rose. From the moment you arrive you begin to relax with their gentile tea service, the wonderful breakfasts are a highlight, kind and caring staff all the way to providing airport directions when you check out.

A standout among Bed & Breadfast style accomadations and highly recommended by repeat guests!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This bed and breakfast combined wonderful organic cuisine with a peaceful
private setting, for people looking to get away from a hectic schedule. It is
conveniently located close to Boulder's shops and restaurants and close
enough to the mountains to enable easy access to every type of activity. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone looking for a place to
relax in peace and harmony.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2009

This truly is a wonderful B&B, and I hope to return for leisure again someday. The staff was very calming and attentive. As has been said so many times before, the teas are exquisite (consider the fact that I typically hate tea) and the cookies melt in your mouth. The rooms are nicely sized and clean. I opted not to have a TV, which made it feel that much more relaxing. I stayed in the room with the large deck. It was a bit cold to enjoy while I was there, but would be great to enjoy during warmer weather. I loved the way the unoccupied rooms were left open and unlocked so you could see where you might want to stay for your next visit. The guest computer area was a technological treat in an otherwise calming, quiet atmosphere. I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My brother, who lives in Boulder, suggested this B&B along with several others. We made our choice off the internet.

We felt immediately at home. The teas are outstanding and we were thrilled to have such a variety to chose from. The cookies are a killer - always available and so delicious!

The staff have a wonderfully attentive and "present" demeanor. Not overbearing, but just lovely and connected.

The dining room is sunny and charming, but we chose to eat on the back porch, just off the kitchen. It was like being in my grandmother's house. And it was fun to see breakfast being made through the window and the open door. Not often an experience you get when traveling, and we were at the beginning of almost a month of travel across the US.

I would also mention the soap, shampoo and body lotion. Thoughtful, excellent products. And the WiFi worked perfectly. In addtion, the collection of books in the main room is wide-ranging. Made me want to just sit and read for days.

We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed in Boulder to spend quality time as a family visiting our son (23) who studies in Boulder. We had the most wonderful time at the Briar Rose where we felt immediately at home. The young very attentive staff was always there to help and address any requirement we might have. Rooms are clean and cosy. The lobby and dining room invite you to stay, sit talk (if you like to other guest) have a coup of tea or one of the great home made cookies. The vegetarien breakfast is absolutly great and gives you an execellent base for the day. I was even supplied with gluten free bread. During the day you can use the dining room to work on your laptop or use one of the available PCs. WLan is available for free throughout the B&B.
The owners are likewise very friendly, approachable and attentive to the needs of their guest. For those interested there are two Zen meditation sessions per day, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. We had an absolutely memorable stay and are looking forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple