“GREAT Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
“GREAT Stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

While traveling through Colorado we decided to spend a night in Boulder so I called the Hotel Boulderado the day before heading to Boulder to make a reservation. I was immediately told that there was scaffolding around the hotel due to construction and I was impressed with their full disclosure. Check in was very easy - even though access was tight due to the construction, the valet took our car and told us he would deliver our luggage to our room. We checked in after standing in awe of the lobby and the historical uniqueness of the hotel. Our room was uniquely decorated, very clean and very comfortable. I have seen other reviews of this hotel that negatively reflect the décor, and darkness and to those people I suggest a cookie cutter brand name national hotel chain. BUT, if you are looking for unique, historical and charming then stay at Boulderado and enjoy great customer service, a great restaurant and bar and a great location. You can easily walk the few short blocks to the action and activities on Pearl Street. Our check out was as easy as our check in - a phone call to the front dest and our luggage was picked up, our car was brought around and our luggage was loaded for us - Spencer is just awesome and he and everyone there made our stay memorable ....great customer service and rich in history from a ride in the old time elevator to the décor throughout - be sure to look up when you're in the lobby, the stained glass ceiling is magnificent !!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lynn B, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Boulderado, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Wow, you're making us blush with this stellar five-star review! I'm delighted to see how much you appreciated our historic charm, the friendly staff, and central location. We hope to see you again at our hotel, but in the meantime you can keep up with our 1906 Otis elevator on Twtter as @BoulderadoOtis. Until next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Lompoc, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was in the middle of some facility work but access was slightly impaired and parking was a challenge but it was worth the troubles. Nice historical property that has been modernized without changing history. Room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The elevator is a hoot. Great location with easy walking access to downtown and UC Boulder.

Room Tip: Our room in the old section and on the west side had a loud air conditioner running 24 hours per day...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your five-star review! I'm delighted to see that even though you stayed with us during some renovations it didn't impact your overall impression of our property. The 1906 Otis elevator is such a hoot that he has his own Twitter account, and you can follow him @BoulderadoOtis.
Hoosierdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

When does quaintness spill over into kitsch? About the moment you walk through the doors into this surprisingly dark and rather tired and dreary hotel lobby. It looked like a set for a B-grade horror movie, to be honest. I had read somewhere that the rooms were all supposed to be individually decorated, but that must have been a loooooong time ago. We were in the "newer" (in 1945, maybe?) north building, which meant a lengthy hike through the labyrinthine staircases, a "skywalk" (or, as we dubbed it, the "alley-view walk"), and confusing and unmarked hallways. I was worried, because it seemed like the place was a firetrap, and the last thing you want in a hotel fire is to find yourself in a labyrinth. I was somewhat reassured to find a door not far from our room that led to an external stairway, but I seriously think that some good signage is way overdue for this place. The room was nothing to write home about, although the bed WAS comfortable. I can't say the same for the room temperature, however, as our thermostat went completely haywire on our second night there. I called the front desk, only to be told that "maintenance" had gone home but that a bellhop (poor guy) would be coming up to take a look. This youngster had NO CLUE what he was talking about, but did offer us a different room, which we declined as it was late, we were tired, and we didn't want to scurry around packing when we would just have to do it all over again in the morning. The lighting in the bathroom took about five minutes to come up to full strength. And the shower took a few minutes to get hot water. Don't bother hanging up your towels to indicate that you're willing to use them a second time - the maids will give you clean ones anyway. There was some sort of facade work going on while we were there, so we had to valet the car - not sure if this is SOP or not, but it hardly seems necessary in little old Boulder. The valet and door guys are one and the same, and they were pretty friendly and helpful. I think the best thing that this hotel has going for it is its location, one block off the Pearl Street Mall. And the room was perfectly, once we found the room. Obviously, I think this place is way over-rated and it's rather cliched charm didn't live up to expectations.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DlovesJ
Lynn B, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Boulderado, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Boulderado. It's true that all of our guest rooms are individually decorated so that no two rooms here are exactly the same. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the comfortable bed, convenient location, and our friendly and helpful staff during your stay. While our historic status appeals to many travelers, we're disappointed that our unique blend of historic charm and modern amenities missed the mark for you.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had about 45 guests, mostly from the east coast, to celebrate my mom's 100th birthday at Boulderado's mezzanine. The arrangements were thoughtfully and beautifully arranged with the excellent help of the Boulderado's Melissa Glickman. The food, the affair itself, the hotel accomodations and service were all seamlessly executed and out guests couldn't believe the welcoming they received from every corner. The charm of this icon of a building carried through to every aspect of the party.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lynn B, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Boulderado, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a great review! We had a blast celebrating your mother's birthday with you and all the guests. We hope to see you back at the Boulderado in the future.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you visit Boulder a stay at the Boulderado is a must. A great restaurant and two bars are available right in the lobby. In this stay I had one of the newer rooms in the new section and had a nice view of the surrounding neighborhood. Don't miss a ride in the antique elevator. We could walk to all the shops and restaurants along Pearl Street. CU is no too far away.

Room Tip: New wing rooms are larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for the glowing five-star review! I'm delighted your stay with us made it convenient to visit CU and Pearl Street, and that you had a chance to ride our 1906 model Otis elevator. If you'd like to connect with him on Twitter, you can find him as @BoulderadoOtis. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for a wedding weekend with many other wedding guests. The hotel's quaint, covered-in-scaffolding charm quickly soured when they called us at 11:00am on our first morning, requesting we leave the room and check out since our reservation had only been for one night. After freaking out and some intense self reflection (Was I REALLY dumb enough to not book us a hotel room for the night of the wedding we traveled across the country to attend?) I dug up our confirmation email as proof that our reservation was indeed for two nights, and we were allowed to stay in our room.

When I tried to discuss this unpleasant experience with the staff at the front desk, they informed me that their records stated that I had called them the day before and changed my reservation from two to one nights. Crazy, right?! I had called them, but only to get my boyfriend's name added to the reservation so he could check in since he ended up arriving in Boulder before me. How this request was interpreted as "please change my stay to only one night" is beyond me, but the hotel staff acted like this entire thing was my fault for being an idiot, and generally ruined my day.

This deplorable lack of customer service and the obvious disconnects in the reservation process seem out of place with this hotel's reputation and historical charm. Hopefully they get it together.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MarsM202
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience this past weekend. We are very sorry about the inconvenience that occurred with your reservation. After speaking with our team members, it seems that when you called to add your boyfriend to the reservation, our desk agent mistakenly changed the length of stay to one night vs. the two nights originally reserved. When he checked in, the desk agent confirmed the one night length of stay and he signed off on the registration card as is standard practice with each new guest arrival – had it been caught at that moment, perhaps your stay would not have been so negatively impacted. Once the error was brought to our attention on Saturday morning, our team took full responsibility and extended the reservation for the additional night. Frankly, our team was “just shocked” after reading your review, since they seemed to feel you were very understanding and were in good spirits as soon as we corrected the error. Again, please accept our sincere apology for the error, and we are very sorry if we did or said anything that caused you to feel we treated you in any way other than professionally. That was not at all our intent and was not how our team felt the interaction had concluded. We are sorry that this event had such a negative impact on your overall experience. We hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at the annex of the Boulderado. The room had a complete loving room with a lot of space and a separate bedroom with a comfortable bed. The ambiance is a combination of quaint and nice. The lobby makes me feel like it once had gunslingers parading through it. This is my 3 rd visit and it was great.

It will be nice when their remodeling and roofing efforts are complete.

Stayed July 2014
John, thanks so much for the great review and for continuing to visit us time and time again! I'm so happy you enjoyed the comfy bed, all the space in the living room area, and the ambiance we are so proud of. We hope to see you again in the future!