“Great experience”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 13 June 2013

By accident we found this hotel and it was fantastic. In fact the front desk lady went beyond to accommodate us and a client that we needed to meet with at the hotel. during out stay it was snowing and this hotel had a wonderful bar/restaurant area as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Allan S

Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I visited Boulder recently and spent about a week at the Rodeway Inn. We selected it based on other reviews, and because it seems to be less expensive, especially with a senior discount.

The overall impression is that the property must have been in its hay day 30 or so years ago. Everything looks and feels “old.” There is plenty of deferred maintenance, but a crew was painting the outside during our stay. Also, there is an odor of decades of cigarette smoke throughout, even though this is nominally a “No Smoking” hotel. In places this was supplemented by the smell of spilled beer. The carpets and drapes need to be changed before these problems will be resolved. I did not see smokers inside, or smell fresh cigarette smoke, and folks seemed to go outside the front door, or out by the pool to smoke. The only fresh smoke smelled was that of marijuana, and on a relatively regular basis. (Marijuana has recently been legalized under Colorado law, but smoking it in a non-smoking environment still violates at least the hotel’s stated policies.)

Good Stuff: Our room was clean, with a small fridge and microwave, and there were plenty of towels. The pool was appropriate for lap swimming, and had a hot spa adjacent to it. Pool towels were available at the front desk without any hassles. The continental breakfast included with the room was a pleasant surprise: There was a crock pot of freshly made oatmeal (not the little sugary packets,) and freshly cut up watermelon or cantaloupe every day. Also, there was an assortment of sweet rolls, coffee, tea, and juices. When I asked on a Monday if there were more of the bagels I had enjoyed on Saturday, I was told those were only available on the weekend!

Bad stuff: During part of our stay, the hotel had a large contingent of high school or college athletes for some sort of sports camp at Colorado University nearby. While most were well behaved, some groups tended to congregate in the hallways talking loudly and partying room to room well into the early morning hours. Management did not control it well enough.

Again, the deferred maintenance was everywhere and where upgrades had been made, they were not completely thought through. For example, in our room, the toilet seat would not stay up because the bathroom had been upgraded with a tiled sink and counter that extended over the toilet, but was installed too low to allow the lid to go all the way back. Thus, although the lid stayed up, the seat did not go back far enough and would fall back onto the toilet. There were missing electrical socket plates, and in one elevator, the padded rest bar on the rear was not completely screwed down causing it to move when it was used as intended.
Finally, the location was convenient with a Sprouts and shopping areas close by. The hotel is located near major intersections and bus stops. Transportation was easy. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Acquitter
Reviewed 23 May 2013

we stayed there last summer and it was "okay". It's very fancy and victorian looking in the lobby, but the rooms are mediocre rooms, just like a small motel room. It could use updating and sprucing up. the outside of the hotel is very poor and seedy looking. the reviews are always mixed but we didn't mind our stay there last summer. the price is cheap and the points for our free nights on the choice privileges membership are very low so my husband can't be persuaded to go anywhere else when we visit boulder.
BUT, we stayed there last week for one night and we were both disappointed. I expected the outside to still look seedy and it did but the room was worse than last years. The musty smell hit me as soon as I walked in and then we realized the air conditioner was not working and just blowing out warm air. We told the desk and they said it would be looked at. we left the hotel for several hours and upon returning found it still blowing out warm smelly air. You can't open a window and it was late and we were tired so spent an uncomfortable night in a warm, smelly room. I told the desk in the morning and he made a note of it but too late for us cause we were leaving. Trust me, I don't complain much. I don't care if the person at the desk isn't friendly, or if the water pressure isn't great, or if the door sticks, etc. I just want a clean, comfortable room.
Oh, and one more thing. Housekeeping only put one bar of their tiny soap in the bathroom for us so it had to go between taking showers and using at the sink. I wouldn't even have mentioned that, but now I am!

Room Tip: cross your fingers?
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank irene3r
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The beds are decent, and the rooms are quiet, but man, does this place need attention. It's not very clean, the rooms are quite dated, the breakfast is marginal, and it's just generally in disrepair. The "business center" computer in the lobby (with a CRT monitor) has been out of order for weeks. Breakfast was marginal; even the OJ tasted like it had been watered to 1/2 strength. And if you really need the Web for business or family contact while you're here, forget it. Worst wifi I've had in a hotel for years. Location is good if you're visiting a kid in the dorms, lousy otherwise. And it's no bargain, either. Elsewhere for me, in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank marcolius
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for several weekends while I attend training across the street. I absolutely love this place. The staff is so pleasant, the rooms are great for the price, and the best part is the nostalgia. The hotel seems like it has been frozen in time. From the decor in the lobby to the disco lights in the bar. It is such a treat to visit. I wont stay anywhere else in Boulder, I enjoy it that much!

Room Tip: 4th floor is loud with the traffic. Try to get a 2nd level room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The staff was fantastic, very helpful, friendly and fun.
The free breakfast wasn't that good, but it was free. One small computer for public use. Attached lounge had pool tables! Close to the university and main roads, made for easy traveling with the snow!
They upgraded me to a larger room when mine wasn't ready without even asking!
The hotel was older, but the price was right and it was a good value for the cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Tina L, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you for your comments, they will be shared with the staff. We are looking forward to the upcoming summer season with all of the festivals and activities in Boulder. Please join us again!

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Other reviews will tell you that the place is old and out dated. That is very true, but after all do you think that a placed called "Rodeway Inn" would be a 5 star hotel? Rodeway has been known as the chain of motels that is low price and / or low in decor. I stayed there because of the price and location to where I needed to be. I wanted a place in which I could park my car close, have a clean bathroom, have clean sheets on a bed. That is what I got. I did not go there hoping to get a wonderful breakfast, as to me a Continental Breakfast means that your lucky if you get one and if you do you won't like like. And yes the breakfast was bad, but there is a McDonald very close or as I did I took some fruit in a cooler and sat in my room watching the Rocky Mountains, now that was a great breakfast. So the bottom line is that if you are looking for a place that you can make work this could be the place, if the price is right. First do try to find other place, but later this maybe the only place that fits the budget. Oh, and the WiFi is very slow, but what can you do.

I rated this place "poor" because I feel that you should know what you are getting into. It not the best and it's not "The Ritz-Carlton".

Room Tip: Call ahead to see for any special rate or if you would like a room facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business