“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My roommate and I came to many terrible realizations while staying in our room. The first thing we noticed was that despite the fact we had a "non-smoking" room the room reeked of cigarettes. Next, we layed on our beds and they sunk in like taco shells. The sheets were clearly covered in stains and they generally smelled awful. The pillows are as thin as a piece of paper. The wallpaper is peeling off the walls and is covered in stains. When I got under the covers my roommate pointed out that the freaking box spring had blood stains on it... we checked his and yup blood stains. I then noticed the corner floor next to my bed was so dirty it looked like it had never been vacuumed and I found a pile of cut zip ties. This prompted my roommate to get out his flashlight to check under the beds. Under my bed we found a bunch of broken pencils, more cut zips ties, fake earings, dusty misplaced socks and random trash. Under his bed we found a piece of dusty cardboard, a pile mcdonalds french fries and napkins, random trash and lastly, no joke, a ladies running shoe that looked as though it had been sitting there for years based on the amount of dust it was covered in. This hotel is joke and we were the punchline. The bathroom sink was stained with calcium build up, the floor was cover in hair and the shower drain was clogged. On top of all this all the hallways in the hotel have the exact same painting on the wall over and over again giving you the feeling you are walking through a hannah-barbarah cartoon. The hotel smells like cat piss mixed with an old persons house who never cleans. Whatever you, avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank boulderbrokerinnno

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked this hotel online while traveling. Not too unhappy with the unique charm, it has an old look with cubbies behind the check in and antiques scattered throughout. All rooms are non smoking and the room they sent us to reeked of smoke. More than just one night's worth. Asked to be switched and we were. Still on the third floor but room nicer and better smelling. The entire 3rd floor had a smell of cat spray, urine and who knows what else. One night was all we could take and were glad to check out. Breakfast on a Sunday morning was minimal, the only hot item being oatmeal in a crock pot. Didn't think the staff was very friendly either.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, make sure you don't get the third floor. It reeks.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel is generally trashy and very outdated. The air conditioner did not work and they didn't try to fix it. Even after 3 days of asking. Stairway was full of old construction debris. Hope you like orange juice and a danish for breakfast. That's about all you'll get.

2  Thank Bill W
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was a mediocre hotel at best, as it is old and dirty, but was in a good location so I would have given it an average rating if not for the fact that I left my cell phone charger in the bathroom of my room, but realized this on the drive home, so I called and told them this. I gave the specific room number, and I had checked out a few hours previously, so how hard was it to check with the staff? I was told I had to call back the next day, to see if they had turned it in. Of course, they did not. I called again and was told they would check into it and call me back, but of course, no call. I'm sure the cleaning crew makes some income on selling these on ebay, and never bothers to turn them in. Bummer :(

3  Thank mtnrunner262
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We booked this hotel for three nights a couple of weeks ago. The positive is that the hotel has charm and is inexpensive. It's not another cookie cutter chain hotel. The negatives are that this place is in bad need of an update.

The first night at the hotel we noticed that the phone did not work. Not a huge deal. Late that night our daughter decided to take a shower. The shower did not work - a much bigger deal. I went down in the morning and complained (I couldn't call). They fixed the shower (not the phone) while we were out and at least they comped the room for the night.

The third night, the toilet broke. I went to use the printer downstairs and all copies came out crooked. I wasn't surprised. We couldn't wait to leave. We booked a room for the rest of our stay at the Days Inn. A little further away, but it was clean, had all the amenities and everything worked.

1  Thank Jack P
Reviewed 16 August 2013

“If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” That’s what grandma said. So, OK, they have lots of towels in the bathroom and there are fitted sheets on the bed, always a good thing. Oh, and the one bar of soap we were offered was easy to get out of the package. But grandma is no longer with us, so I’ll tell you the not nice stuff.

Do not stay at this hotel! It’s dangerous. There are huge fire hazards in the stairwells. There are rolls of carpet and bits of construction material to stumble over. Oh, and the mercury-laden compact fluorescent lights are not protected, so if they break, guess what you’ll be breathing as you try to escape the building.

If there’s no fire, there are other things to deal with. It doesn’t seem as if the carpets have ever been cleaned, so there’s a general stink. Indeed, the first room we were offered smelled as though someone had died in there last week. The (really very nice) desk clerk said, “oh, someone else said the same thing about the room next door.” A clue?

The room we ended up in had an amazingly small window (it didn’t open) so the place was very dark and dingy, not helped by the dreary 1960s décor. The air conditioning unit was painfully noisy and didn’t seem to change the temperature much.

If you live through the night, the free breakfast will not restore you, nor will the fact that the hotel people apparently got a bulk deal on one particular French painting. It’s on every wall everywhere, randomly interspersed with pictures of famous sports people. Odd. Very odd.

Tonight, we’re at a Hampton Inn, where it’ll be all 5 star. What a relief!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlbionPacific
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I went to school at CU in the 80's, and back in the day, The Broker (now run by Roadway Inn) was a great place. The problem is that nothing much has changed since then. Dark wood paneled walls, an old TV that had bad reception, very intermittent Wi-Fi (on any device), aloud window A/C unit that did not work (so a loud fan setting had to be used at night to at least circulate the air), and a jacuzzi with jets that did not work were just a few of the things that can be improved. Roadway will not let you use your Choice # when booking through a third party, so do not expect credit through Choice Privileges for staying there. The continental breakfast was minimal and it was odd that Styrofoam plates, bowls and cups were used... especially being in Boulder. I booked early enough that the price of $65/night was good. But looking at what they are usually asking to stay there, I definitely would have been upset if I had to pay any more than that. I am not hard to please, but I was definitely disappointed by this "Roadway Inn". I'll give it an Average rating, but don't expect much from this hotel except an excellent location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank G Andrew E