“Very bad on deposits”

Millennium Harvest House
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
“Very bad on deposits”
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

I've stayed for 2 weeks in this hotel. They charged me like $1000 on deposits. When asking the staff, they would find out where things went wrong. At the end of the first week they unblocked the $ 1000 deposit and blocked $750 for the last week. I didn't ask anymore details about it, because I was tired of this situation. Second, internet is not free, but it wasn't working as it should. Rooms are very old. Pictures seems to be very nice, but in real outdated. I had to walk like 200 meters from the front desk to my room. Not all staff were friendly. Food in the restaurant is expensive. Pool is very small, but ok. The whole hotel looks like a building from the 70s.

Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Dennis L
Michael P, Assistant Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
We very much appreciate your feedback. Since it has been almost a full year since you stayed with us, it is understandable that your memory may not be totally accurate. We actually have two swimming pools; our indoor pool is a 25 meter (1/2 Olympic size) lap pool. Our outdoor pool is a little smaller, but not small. The adjacent outdoor hot tub can hold at least 15 adults comfortably (we have seen it hold more…) and there is ample patio area for lounging around the pool bar. You are correct that we have an older property. The main building was actually constructed in the ‘50’s. Although we are a bit vintage we work hard to keep the property clean, safe, and comfortable. I am truly sorry that you had trouble with your credit card. It sounds like you were using a debit card; they are notoriously troublesome with hotels and rental cars. We always recommend using a different method of payment when you are staying long term.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property. We hope to have the chance to refresh your memory the next time you are in Boulder.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Hotel rooms not what you asked for...Halls walls and elevators dirty.. The grounds were a mess could have been very pretty with the right supervision..All I could see is lazy people who didnt care what it looked like....Much less what travelers think...

Room Tip: You need to get the most expensive room if you want a balcony,or any room in the main hotel.Or else...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betty995
On behalf of the hotel management, I am very sorry that you had such a negative impression of our property. We always value constructive feedback and we work hard to make improvements wherever we can. People often describe our gardens and grounds as ‘beautiful,’ and ‘immaculate;’ this is the standard we work to maintain. On behalf of the hotel staff, I can tell you that they are some of the hardest working people I have ever encountered, and I am surprised to see them described as ‘lazy.’ You have our sincerest apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Whatever we did wrong, we hope you give us the chance to do it right the next time you visit.

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We booked this hotel because it was offering a group rate for the wedding we were to attend. The hotel is old..not that being old is bad, but it looked and smelled its age. The carpets were dirty - both in the room and in the hallways. I had to track down a maid twice; once to get coffee for the next morning, and then again for tissues.The second time she said to me, "You are having a hard time today, aren't you?" Like it was my problem, not hers. Ugh. There was no free WiFi..we had to pay $9.95 for 24-hrs. There was no refrigerator and no microwave. The lack of a refrigerator was a big deal to us. Walking to the lobby, one must walk outdoors past the back of the kitchen which had garbage piled high and smelled to the high heavens! I would never eat in their restaurant. The hotel had told the bride and groom that there would be a shuttle to the "Planet Bluegrass" wedding/reception venue, but when I inquired, was told that the shuttle would pick up people from there and bring them back to the hotel, but not take them to the wedding venue. I asked the clerk at the desk if we were expected to walk there...? The shuttle was the biggest reason I booked at The Millenium. We were charged $129.00 per night- that was no bargain! We would never stay there again and would warn people off if asked about it..

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Betty A
Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. I agree that it is unacceptable to find your hotel room unclean or not completely stocked. I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with your room and I assure you this is not the norm at the Millennium. As you pointed out, we do have an older property. We are the hotel of choice for so many wedding groups because despite the age of our property, our service is second to none and we offer all of the amenities you expect from a full service hotel. We also have a prime location in Boulder and room rates that are competitive with anyone else in the area. We do offer shuttle service for groups as well as individuals. I am sorry you were disappointed by the service for the wedding, but Planet Bluegrass is outside our normal range, and in this particular case we were constrained by what the wedding party arranged in advance and were unable to make extra trips to that location. It is unfortunate that you don’t feel we are worth returning to; we would welcome the chance to change your impression of our hotel.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I have travelled to many different countries and this has to be the worst hotel I have stayed in for the price that they were asking! It was run down and dirty. I have pictures that I will try to post. I had to clean the light switches - they were so disgusting to touch!

Even the bed area and towels were dirty!! AGGGGGG

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Michele E
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed for one night so we could attend an event that was held at the Harvest House. I felt like the $180 night (tax included) we paid for a King room was way too high for the overall quality of the hotel. The room was pretty nice but had a strong destinctive smell. I would guess it was whatever they used to cover up cigarettes in our "Non-Smoking Room". Either way, it didn't smell great. The bed was okay and the sleeping quarters were acceptable, the bathroom, not so much. For this kind of money we could have stayed at the Boulderado in true style.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DentownTraveller
Michael P, Assistant Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. I understand feeling like you did not get what you paid for if the room smelled like smoke. Smoking is not permitted in any of our guest rooms. Unfortunately it does happen on occasion, and when it does the room gets a deep cleaning afterwards to remove any traces of cigarette smoke. If we failed to do this fully before you stayed with us I am truly sorry. We would have preferred to know that you were uncomfortable so that we could have made it right for you while you were here. We really do believe that we offer a great value for the rates we charge. We offer a great location, unique restaurant and bars, beautifully landscaped grounds, and full service amenities. We hope that you give us another chance to prove to you that we are the best place to stay in Boulder.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This place was shockingly horrible. The prices were wayyy too steep for what you actually get. The rooms average $120 - $140 a night. I stopped through on my travels and found this place through http://Expedia.com, there was a deal for $80 a night. I got a room with a king and needed to just relax, looking forward to comfort. Walk into me room, and find a few main lights were out... used the shower in an extremely cramped bathroom without a fan which the steam from the shower set off the fire alarm just by opening the door, that was fun...there was an older box television with terrible quality, looked like it was raining in all the scenes of shows that were on, not to mention if I needed internet $9.99! watch a movie ranged from $8-$17.99. continental breakfast..HA!! Nope $15.00 per person for a buffet. I walked around the hotel to find a vending machine for a drink and at one point found a ton of glass in the middle of the floor, the next morning I left it was still there...not that its totally important, but you can definitely see where they focused on decoration, their restaurant is very nice and cozy, their courtyard is beautiful and full of water fountains etc. (should have slept out there), but take the slow elevators to your floor and you find creepy hallways blank and drab..no plants, pictures, just white walls with white doors, very cold, I thought I was in a horror movie..
Through my many travels this is the worst place I have ever stayed. I feel that if I paid $40.00 a night it all would be more understandable, You'd think with all the outstanding charges they have for everything they could remodel and improve. I believe comfort and amenities are important to ones stay in most cases. I was surprised I didn't have to throw a couple quarters in a machine to dispense toilet paper...Never ever again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennifer V
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We got this room on priceline for $75 for one night. It was our last night in Colorado and we wanted to be in Boulder for a night. The hotel is well located, a short drive to Pearl Street and right next to the University. Unfortunately for us there was a huge event going on that evening. Some sort of WWII Tiki ball. The whole outdoors of the hotel including the outdoor pool and hot tub were off limits to the rest of the guests. They put us in a room that looked out on the back of the hotel where the party would be going until 1 AM. We have a 4 year old and and 8 year old. I asked to change rooms and they did honor that request. Our new room was quiet but people in the room across from us were smoking both cigarettes and pot. I complained about the smell (our kids have asthma) and the clerk at the desk said he would call the people and complain but they weren't likely to listen to him. Really? There is a big no smoking sign on the door. If it's no smoking, make them listen! We didn't want to change rooms again so we put wet towels on the outside and inside of our door and opened the windows. The bathroom had hairs on the floor and the shower curtain was moldy, as well as dust all over the ceiling of the shower. We ordered a roll away bed but never got it. The beds (2 doubles) were comfortable but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: west wing and south wing are older rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family