“Great Boulder experience”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Boulder experience”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I visited the hotel in the dead of winter and had a sunny balcony room overlooking the mountains and stream. It is located in close proximity to a supermarket and shopping area on one side, and a stream with a bike/skating/walking path on the other side. I had no problems or negative experiences with the hotel. Besides a slightly torn drapery, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but then I don't go to hotels to inspect the rooms. The bed was comfortable, the view wonderful and the staff that I encountered were all pleasant and professional. It is not a high end hotel, but it is not a budget place either. I felt that I got good value for the price. Given that this was my first trip to Boulder, I enjoyed staying in a place that wasn't a chain -- now if they could do something about the Colorado weather in January, it would have been perfect.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies will guarantee you a view of the mountains and stream. They are also sunny...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RudiB877

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Wray, Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel prior to attending the CU-USC football game. This hotel normally has a fun pre-game tailgate-type atmosphere with an outdoor big screen TV, drinks, burgers, and lots of alums from both schools mingling/partying prior to the game. The weather didn't allow this, and the inside bars did have some trouble handling the crowd. (Normally, the outside pre-game is awesome.) The hotel itself is a bit dated, although our room was clean, bed was comfortable, and amenities were fine. There was a lot of noise in the hallway, so we didn't get a great night's sleep. We had appetizers in the bar, which were good. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the morning. The hotel also has indoor/outdoor pools, tennis courts, and is right on the Boulder Creek path. If you want a fancy hotel, quiet expensive room, and high end amenities, try the St. Julien or the Boulderado. Otherwise, If you want to have some fun, stay in a great location, have a great pre-game party, and have a short walk to a CU football game, stay at the Harvest House.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Plainstravellors
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

The good news is that I have found the staff to be friendly and responsive. So far this appears to be the hotel's only redeeming value.

Needed to change rooms because heat did not work. Been waiting for more than an hour for 2nd room to heat up. Not sure that is going to happen.

Heat does not even make it into bathroom. Can chill a beer on the marble counter!!

Hallways are cold.

Went to lounge with hope of warming up. Lounge is freezing and attendant could not break change for a $50!! Really...at a bar??

This is the coldest hotel that I have stayed in the past 20 years of traveling!

Just a old hotel in need of some
serious updating.

• Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Oakland, CA
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I am quite shocked that the Millennium Harvest House is ranked 21 out of 21 hotels in Boulder. I have stayed twice at this property while attending Colorado Buffaloes football games and have been more than pleased.

Pros
* Easy 10 minute walk to Folsom Field along the Boulder Creek
* Beer, alcohol, and food options in the large back patio for pre-game tailgating
* Ample free parking
* Short walk to 29th Street which has a ton of shops and dining options
* 5 minute walk to Safeway for groceries and snacks
* Shuttle service that will take you around Boulder, including Pearl Street, for $10 (NOTE: Service ends at 10pm)

Cons
* Premise hasn't been renovated in a while
* No microwaves or fridges in the rooms
* Multiple wings of rooms that are not connected
* Sports bar has only a few TVs

As I continue to come back to Boulder for football games, I will definitely stay at the Millennium Harvest House again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank calgal99
colorado
Reviewed 13 December 2013

A nice warm room, a nice warm shower and a warm comfortable bed, what more can I ask for, it was great!!
I picked up some food from Tokyo Joes on the way over and after one bite decided not to eat it..something was just not right..so I ordered French fries from room service and they were awesome, you guys have the best French fries!!
Check in went super smooth, sweet receptionist and the guy that drives the shuttle around super nice, what a great deal, $10 all over Boulder.
I would not hesitate to stay here again, and I have heard great stories about there New Years Party they organize each year!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Well I tried several times to respond to their survey and I kept getting a message “Sending survey failed. Please try again.”

I at least wanted to forward my comments somewhere:

There was no frig or microwave in the room. I had to put beverages in the ice bucket to keep cold – and was unable to save left-overs or to reheat them. I’ve stayed at way-cheaper hotels that provided these. The TV was NOT a flatscreen and had limited channels. There were no available outlets for my chargers, so I had to use the outlets in the bathroom. The shower head was so forceful that it hurt my head to wash my hair – I am not exaggerating, go try it Room #419! I went to the lounge twice to order a meal to take back to my room. The selection was limited and I thought the price was a bit steep for the quality – and I had to wait quite a while, even for a salad. There was no table and chair in the room at which to eat my meals. And due to my comment above, I don’t understand why you ask someone to take the time to complete a survey if the website is going to fail to forward you the survey. Otherwise, the room was clean and nice and comfortable. I love the light over the headboard. I will probably stay there again if I am unable to get home from work due to weather – but mostly because it is only a few blocks from my job and my company pays for my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My corporate travel desk placed me in the Harvest House for 10 nights in Nov 2013. My spidey sense was tingling when I heard the name, as all I could think of was the Harvest House lunch counters attached to Woolworth's. Then I read that the TA reviews that placed it as 22nd out of 22 hotels in Boulder.

First off, I would like to say that I did not encounter one unfriendly employee the whole time I was there. Even the maid left thank you notes for my tip each day. Secondly, the hotel's biggest fault is that it is not brand new. Yes, it is older, but they are doing renovations and trying to improve.

The elevators were quick. The mirrored walls were always clean, but the brass details were scratched and mottled. And certain buttons did not light up when pressed. I thought it was a metaphor for the hotel; we do what we can, but we are not a spring chicken anymore.

My room, on the fifth floor of the main tower, appeared to have been refreshed in the past couple of years. The bed was comfortable, with an array of five pillows from soft to very firm. The room was clean, smelled fresh, and the furniture was in good shape. The window needed some cleaning from the outside. The TV was an older model with a tube, but worked well and offered a decent lineup of channels. The heater was in good shape and was not abnormally loud.

The bathroom was not huge, but adequate. The shower was clean, and the shower head could be adjusted from gentle rain to fire hose. (I like fire hose.) The vent fan failed my toilet paper test: take one square of paper and hold it up to the fan. It if sticks, air is moving well. In this case, the paper fell to the ground. So the fan does nothing. The vanity was quartz, looked new and offered plenty of space.

My room rate included breakfast. My first trip to the breakfast buffet, (not offered everyday), was disappointing. Very basic and sad. I was there shortly after opening and I opened the pan with the bacon and I knew that meat had spent the day on that buffet before. Maybe twice. I went back the next day to take pictures, but it was much better looking. The buffet was still not exciting, but things looked much fresher. Other mornings I ordered from the menu and the food was fine.

The HH has two bars and a restaurant. However, this is the slow season and at night, they only run one bar and serve dinner there. All three outlets are undergoing renovations. I had dinner in the bar three nights and the food was really pretty good. The menu was not huge, but had some variety.

I used the guest laundry. The machines were modern, clean and not overpriced. The laundry was in the "Sporting Wing", which is a good hike from the main wing, and the general shabby appearance of that wing is probably where the poor reviews are coming from.

I told Dan, the bartender, that the hotel seemed to suffer from an identity crisis. The large lobby, the bellmen, the (abandoned) shoe shine chair, two bars and a full service restaurant show that the hotel wants to be a grand property. But the worn and torn cushion on the sofa in the lobby, the mottled brass in the elevator, the relegation of food and beverage to one small bar at night, show that the grandeur has faded. The main tower looks like a hotel, the "Sporting Wing" looks like a motel.

The Harvest House has a great location and attractive grounds. The staff is friendly and professional. The prices seem reasonable (except the buffet at ~$15.) They make a better than average Manhattan. And they are trying to improve the facilities. It will be interesting to see if they do a proper facelift.

Room Tip: avoid the Sporting Wing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business