“Waste of money”

Millennium Harvest House
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
“Waste of money”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Do you enjoy the slimy lack of self worth feeling you get when you leave a brothel or a casino after blowing a bunch of money and not getting anything for it? Than this place is for you. There is no fridge, no wi-fi (unless you pay for it), no breakfast, and the "coffee" in the rooms tastes like the mud off your boots on a rainy day. It is the lowest cheapest product available, and thats the Harvest House in a nutshell. If your expectations are to receive anything like even say what a Motel 6 provides, you can forget it. The main elevator was broken, the fan in our room was broken, and the hallways are dark, dirty and smell like a meth lab exploded. Rooms are nothing special, although we enjoyed looking at the service tray featuring $5 a piece bottles of water. The courtyard was pretty, but that's it. Don't blow $200 on a mattress-stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a brief review of your stay. To answer the question you posted in your review...No, I don't know the feeling one gets when leaving a brothel or a casino when blowing a bunch of money. So I may not know exactly how you felt. I do know that you are correct in that we have an elevator out of order at this time. One of our eight elevators is undergoing modernization as we continue to upgrade our facilities. Along with modernization of several mechanical items in the hotel we have also recently refreshed 100 of our 269 rooms. These rooms all have refridgerators, new expanded bathrooms, Keurig Coffee makers currently with Green Mountain Coffee. You also used the analogy that the hallways smelled like a meth lab exploded. Again, I have never experienced that or know what that may smell like. Is it anything like a fresh coat of paint as the hallways have new carpets, lighting and a fresh coat of paint in them. We are working hard to upgrade our facilities and will continue to do so in the days ahead. Perhaps if your travels bring you back into town you will see the hotel in a different light.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Nolanville, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After finding the hotel we booked had falsely advertised theirselves we moved down to this hotel. The staff was super friendly and they upgraded us to a room with a balcony in the tower. The room was very clean, great firm kind bed, awesome big bathroom. New paint and new carpet, updated furnishings. Beautiful property with a pool and hot tub. Indoor and outdoor pool. Indoor had lap swimming and 4 lanes with lane lines. Right next to the river and walking trails, tennis courts, friendly squirrels. Kuerig coffe machine in room and frig. Very pleased.

Room Tip: Although they are working on the hotel the guys did not start banging until after 9:30 am. If you wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy L
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you after a poor experience at another location. We are very pleased to offer some nice touches and upgrades in our rooms, such as 45 channels of HD TV with free movies and that's great that you were able to take advantage of our pools and hot tub. As you pointed out the being right next to the creek and creek path to stroll downtown is a huge plus. Thrilled to hear the squirrels were even friendly. We try to work on friendliness and guest service to all those that are on property whether they work here or reside in our trees on our 16 acre property. :-) Thanks again and we look forward to your return
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

For the price this place was a disappointment. The smell is unpleasant, the place is very outdated, and we got stuck in the elevator. When we called for help there was no answer. The grounds were the nicest aspect of the place. We enjoyed being on the bike path. Hopefully when the renovations are complete this hotel will be nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to jot down a few words about your stay with us in our beloved hotel. We are a 55 year old property and are in the process of getting a bit of attention and work done. Such as a modernization to several of our elevators. Thank you for pointing out the grounds. We are 16 acres of wonderful land right on the Boulder Creek Path. Our setting makes it ideal for outdoor weddings and events. It is truly something special and reality is that no other Full Service hotel in Metro Denver or the City of Boulder have what we have to offer in our Gardens. It truly makes us unique and majestic.

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely staff and great location. The hotel is old, dated and in dire need of the refurbishment it is undergoing. I was originally give n a room at the back of the hotel which felt very isolated. Security did not seem to be very tight as you could walk in without swiping your room key. I asked for another room and I was given one in the front section of the hotel which was busier.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. As you pointed out we were going through a refreshing of 100 of our guest rooms, which I am very happy to report is now complete! I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our staff and yes, we are in an ideal location of Boulder. Originally when our hotel was built in 1959, we were 4 separate buildings but in the 70's construction was done to connect three of the four annexes. That is why you may have felt like you were in the back of the hotel. It is actually just a wing of the building that is all connected. We also have an automatic security lock that requires a key for entrance after 9pm into our public spaces. Once again, I appreciate your kind words and high marks for the service you recieved from our staff.
Barneveld, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Millennium Harvest house in Boulder CO, while participating in the BolderBoulder 10k race. I figured that as it was the recommended hotel by the organizers it would be great. It was halfway between the start and finished lines. Perfect! Well, not so perfect.

First off, the lobby was very nice and updated. When I got to my room, I have to say I was a little shocked. For starters, the room was huge. I'm guessing the room measured a good 20 feet wide and 25 feet long. This was the size of a studio apartment. There was a king bed, chair with foot stool, cabinet with the TV on it and a desk. A ton of open space. The only light connected to the light switch was a very dim CFL bulb above the door. Hardly enough to light most of the room. At first I thought the window was open. No, it was closed, but it was mostly all single pane glass in an old aluminum frame. The materace was thin, but firm. The curtain had a cigarette burn hole in it. The shower had holes in the sides where at one time you could see that a drying line was attached. The grab handle in the tub was loose with a screw falling out. There was no screen on the drain. Most of the fixtures in the room seemed to be from the 70's or early 80's. And $10/day for internet (that made me laugh for what it was costing me to stay there).

I should have gone down and complained, but what were they going to do? Move me to another worn out room? For between $169 and $189 per night, this was a rip off! I honestly wouldn't have paid more than $85/night for a room like this. There didn't appear to be a restaurant onsite. The front desk did not point out the direction to the pool (if there was one) or if there was a restaurant. The room was clean, and housekeeping did do a great job.

I'm sure in it's day, Millennium Harvest House Boulder was a great hotel. But it needs a lot of work. If you plan on staying here, plan on spending a lot and getting very little in return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rob G
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at The Millennium Harvest House Boulder. What a great race the Boulder Bolder is and a very busy weekend for our community honoring our fallen troops on Memorial Day. We are very proud and pleased that such a world reknown race has honored us with being the host hotel for all the international elite athletes and for the race staff themselves. I am curious if you took advantage of the Pasta Dinner we put on for all racers and guests or the post race free party that went on in our beautiful gardens with live music and lawn games. What a festive weekend it was. I am sorry that you did not notice our restaurant, Thyme on the Creek. It is connected to our main lobby and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as Cedars lounge which is also conneced to our lobby. And it is a shame you did not take advantage of out outdoor Hot tub or cool down after the race in our pool. Both of these are located in our sporting wing next to 7 of our 15 tennis courts and adjacent to our outdoor pavilion and gazebo & pool bars. Please reach out to me on your next visit and I would be happy to give you a tour of our property and all the wonderful facilities and amenities that we offer our guests.
Virginia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've stayed at Millennium (and its predecessor) many times over the past 20 years. Sadly, this will likely be the last for a while. Stayed several nights first in the older wing and then a few nights in the sports wing. While the service offered by the front desk, maintenance, and housekeeping crews were wonderful, the facility and overall quality of stay have finally reached a point where other lodging options are advised. Hot water was inconsistent and vacillated from cold to hot (be careful in the shower); water would not drain from the tub; hole-y blankets; damp room conditions in the older wing; window and door would not close tightly; noisy plumbing; and chirping smoke alarms. Perhaps the current renovation will improve facility conditions, but until then I'm looking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your review and stay with us here at The Millennium Harvest House in Boulder. I am pleased to hear that the services offered by our staff were wonderful. Proper hiring and Training is a key element to our philosophy. I am sorry to read about the inconsistant and vacilated water from hot to cold and other facility related issues you have written about. Our team here is dedicated to change from the "older" Harvest House to a new and improved version along with our facility upgrades we have undergone new management in the hotel as well. While it would be great to wave a magic wand over our beloved hotel and fix all the older issues we are deligently working to bring things up to and exceed our guests expectations. One such item is that we are in the process of putting a new high efficiency water boiler in one of our towers to address the very concern to mention in your review. So we are confidant that that our current renovations and refreshes around the hotel will be very leasing to you upon your next visit with us. Once again, thank you for your words and we look forward to seeing you again.
Malden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've never written a bad review before, but in this case I think it's important for people to know what they're in for if they stay at this hotel. So many things were wrong and improperly managed that at times it seemed like we were in a sitcom.

Day 1: We arrive at midnight after a long day of travel. We'd paid for a superior room, which will give us a lovely view of the mountains. We're thrilled to hear that our room has just been remodeled. However, when we get to the room there is a hole in the ceiling, with water and plaster dripping down on the arm chair. We're moved to another room. By the way, both rooms smell like smoke.

Day 2: We wake up to discover that the outlet between the beds isn't functioning. However, when we try to call the front desk to report the problem we discover that they haven't turned our phone on, so we have to go downstairs to report the problem. They come up to fix the outlet, but then we discover the clock doesn't work and so they return to fix that.

With that settled, when I try to close the sliding door to the bathroom it comes right off the tracks in my hand. I wedge it back into the slots and make a mental note to ask them to fix it later.

When we return in the afternoon the TV doesn't work. They send a person up to check on it, but he disappears never to return. After about an hour I speak with a person at the front desk who says that he went to check on the main cable connection for the tower, but now they can't find him. He's not answering his phone.

Day 3: Sill no TV. That's when I discover there's no hot water. In fact, none of the "superior" rooms have TV or hot water. After some wrangling I get temporary access to a dingy low-end room that has hot water just so that I can wash up.

In the afternoon I run into a contractor in the elevator who says they've been working on the roof but can't figure out what the pitch is so they're not sure what direction the water is flowing. That explains the leaks.

I go to the ice machine. It doesn't work. After some hunting around I find one on another floor that does.

Day 4: It's 3:00 and the cleaning staff still hasn't gotten to our room. I call the front desk. The phone rings and rings and rings. When someone finally picks up, they hang up before I get a chance to say anything, so I call back and after many rings they finally answer. They say that they have until 4:00 to clean rooms, but they'll send someone.

I call room service and it goes straight to voice mail. They say to leave a message and they'll call back. Thirty minutes passes with no return call and so I head down to the front desk.

I talk with Jessica at the front desk. I say that at this point I am incredibly frustrated, that we stayed in this hotel specifically because it could provide room service.

She says that we need to be patient because they've run into a string of problems. I say that I can understand that they have encountered problems, but the fact of the matter is that I have NEVER stayed in a place were so many things don't function, and I've traveled a lot.

She says, "but you need to look at this from the perspective of the employees." Up until then I have tried to keep my cool, but at this point I've had it -- the customers are paying for service that they are not receiving, not the employees! With each of the earlier conversations I have tried to be empathetic, and the staff has been gracious up until now -- great at diffusing frustration. This response doesn't cut it. In a curt tone, she then says, "what do you want me to do?" I say, "I want to talk to the manager." She says, "I am the manager." I say, "then I want to talk with your boss." She says "he's not in until Sunday" (it's Friday).

So I get the information to write a letter of complaint and then head out to the dining room, where I ask if I can order room service and mention that my voice mail message hadn't been returned. She says, "I'm sorry nobody got back to you, I'm the only one here." I feel for her, but I also think that a hotel that provides room service should have enough people working in the dining room to field calls.

Back in the room the food arrives and we settle in to watch our now-functioning TV.

That's when we see the mouse run across the top of the dresser and onto the floor. I call downstairs and the custodian comes up with a broom and a box, with the idea that he will scare it from one end of the dresser and I will scoop it up into the box on the other side. That doesn't work and I ask if he has something like D-Con they could put in the room. He brings up a mouse trap and tells me to call him if I hear something snap.

Long story short. The $200+/night superior rooms have AMAZING views of the mountains. Almost everybody on staff is polite and patient. NOTHING works as it is supposed to. And Jessica the manager doesn't know how to deal with customer complaints.

Room Tip: There are no reliable rooms on this property, given the problem with vermin.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank gmdenatale
I am sorry to see that your 1st review that you've written for Trip Advisor and your first bad review happened to be a poor one about our property. I must say I was quite disappointed and very surprised to read the words in your review. We have inherited a landmark property here in Boulder with 16 acres of gardens, 15 tennis courts, an outdoor pool and hot tub, indoor lap pool. Easiest access from DIA and Denver into the city of Boulder with tons of ample parking. With that being said we are also working dilegently to upgrade our facilities and providing a great place to stay while in Boulder, being only feet away from the University. One such project as you mentioned is replacing the roof on several of our buildings and repairing or patching the other roofs that do not get anew, this time around. Another exciting project we just undertook was to replace all TVs in our rooms to flat screen HD televisions. That may not seem like much to many but it was exciting for us to be able to move up from the older tube TVs of yesterday. Along with the TV change we made the decision to include cable with HD movie channels in the room so that guests dont have to pay for in room movies but to enjoy our new Room Service menu which features freshly hand tossed pizzas in your room after a long day of work or play in Boulder. Change doesn't come along instantaneously and I was/am appalled to read the words of your review but rest assure we will use them to make us better tomorrow than we are today. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience.