“Very Average Stay in Boulder”

Millennium Harvest House
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
“Very Average Stay in Boulder”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder and was a bit disappointed. First, the good: the hotel rooms were spacious and clean. The pool was good. The location is excellent. You can take a walk right out of the parking lot along the Boulder Creek Path to downtown Boulder where there are numerous shopping, drinking and dining locales that are quite excellent. Unfortunately, the Harvest House is badly in need of renovations. The rooms are tired and the bathroom is incredibly tiny and in need of updating. I will say that the staff is very nice and responsive. For example, my shower had almost no pressure the first morning even though the sink faucet was like a fire hose so I complained at the desk in the morning as I left for my meeting. When I returned at 5 PM, the shower head had been replaced and the shower was at least operational. I should note that I had read some of the less than enthusiastic reviews of others before traveling to Boulder, but as a federal employee, this was one of the few Boulder hotels that I could afford with no out-of-pocket expenses and was the hotel chosen by our meeting hosts. They did accommodate our group with a very nice buffet breakfast in the mornings which was very much appreciated. They also had a breakfast coffee bar that was quite handy. I think that this hotel could be a very nice hotel if they had substantial updating to the guest rooms.

The restaurant was also a problem. We went there the first night and even though we were just about the only ones in the restaurant at 7 PM, we had to wait an extraordinary amount of time for our food to arrive. On the other hand, the main bar is apparently under renovation, so they had a bar off of the lobby and the two women bartenders were excellent at serving us when we ventured in, which was several times during the ten day trip. The front desk personnel was also very helpful in suggesting activities for the weekend. So all in all, service was good, hotel itself not so much. I can only rate the Harvest House average at best until significant renovations are made.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a brief review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found our rooms spacious and clean. They truly are spacious ranging from 350 to 1,168 square feet! And you are correct in pointing out that our location is excellent. As you know we are situated on the Boulder Creek path and are a block away from the University, plenty of dining options and the 29th Street Mall. You also pointed out that "the hotel could be very nice if they had substantial updating to the guest rooms". I am pleased to say that we just completed a 100 room upgrade where we enlarged our bathrooms, installed refridgerators, upgraded to Keurig Coffee Makers, installed new carpet, put in new large flat screens HD tvs, new hi speed wifi access and the list just continues to go on. So as you can see we are certainly putting in some much needed time, effort and money into our beloved hotel. These changes along with our guest service will certainly make our hotel one you will be pleased to return to.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Herlev, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. The room and bathroom was nice and clean and the service at the hotel was excellent.

No doubt, the interior of the hotel needs an update, and it was annoying that the outdoor pool wasn't open yet. But for a short stay like ours it was ok.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taing the time to write a review of our hotel. I see that you stayed for a wedding. We are a very popular location for such events with our Outdoor Pavillion and 16 acres of land and plenty of parking for guests. Spring / summer events in our gardens is an absolute pleasure. I would like to thank you for pointing out the service being excellent during your stay and that you also found us to be clean. Our beloved hotel does have a fews years under its belt and we are working hard to implement many upgrades to the Harvest House but cleanliness and great guest service is something we can provide you with now. You mentioned the pool not being open. Sorry that our outdoor pool was not open during your stay. There was a delay as we were/are still dealing with many effects from the flood that occurred last fall and needed to wait until the spring to address some of the outoor issues we had. It is currently open. The outdoor hottub has been open for months and the indoor pool well we just close that for maintenance once a year but is also always open.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Do you enjoy the slimy lack of self worth feeling you get when you leave a brothel or a casino after blowing a bunch of money and not getting anything for it? Than this place is for you. There is no fridge, no wi-fi (unless you pay for it), no breakfast, and the "coffee" in the rooms tastes like the mud off your boots on a rainy day. It is the lowest cheapest product available, and thats the Harvest House in a nutshell. If your expectations are to receive anything like even say what a Motel 6 provides, you can forget it. The main elevator was broken, the fan in our room was broken, and the hallways are dark, dirty and smell like a meth lab exploded. Rooms are nothing special, although we enjoyed looking at the service tray featuring $5 a piece bottles of water. The courtyard was pretty, but that's it. Don't blow $200 on a mattress-stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a brief review of your stay. To answer the question you posted in your review...No, I don't know the feeling one gets when leaving a brothel or a casino when blowing a bunch of money. So I may not know exactly how you felt. I do know that you are correct in that we have an elevator out of order at this time. One of our eight elevators is undergoing modernization as we continue to upgrade our facilities. Along with modernization of several mechanical items in the hotel we have also recently refreshed 100 of our 269 rooms. These rooms all have refridgerators, new expanded bathrooms, Keurig Coffee makers currently with Green Mountain Coffee. You also used the analogy that the hallways smelled like a meth lab exploded. Again, I have never experienced that or know what that may smell like. Is it anything like a fresh coat of paint as the hallways have new carpets, lighting and a fresh coat of paint in them. We are working hard to upgrade our facilities and will continue to do so in the days ahead. Perhaps if your travels bring you back into town you will see the hotel in a different light.

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Nolanville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

After finding the hotel we booked had falsely advertised theirselves we moved down to this hotel. The staff was super friendly and they upgraded us to a room with a balcony in the tower. The room was very clean, great firm kind bed, awesome big bathroom. New paint and new carpet, updated furnishings. Beautiful property with a pool and hot tub. Indoor and outdoor pool. Indoor had lap swimming and 4 lanes with lane lines. Right next to the river and walking trails, tennis courts, friendly squirrels. Kuerig coffe machine in room and frig. Very pleased.

Room Tip: Although they are working on the hotel the guys did not start banging until after 9:30 am. If you wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy L
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you after a poor experience at another location. We are very pleased to offer some nice touches and upgrades in our rooms, such as 45 channels of HD TV with free movies and that's great that you were able to take advantage of our pools and hot tub. As you pointed out the being right next to the creek and creek path to stroll downtown is a huge plus. Thrilled to hear the squirrels were even friendly. We try to work on friendliness and guest service to all those that are on property whether they work here or reside in our trees on our 16 acre property. :-) Thanks again and we look forward to your return
Methuen, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

For the price this place was a disappointment. The smell is unpleasant, the place is very outdated, and we got stuck in the elevator. When we called for help there was no answer. The grounds were the nicest aspect of the place. We enjoyed being on the bike path. Hopefully when the renovations are complete this hotel will be nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to jot down a few words about your stay with us in our beloved hotel. We are a 55 year old property and are in the process of getting a bit of attention and work done. Such as a modernization to several of our elevators. Thank you for pointing out the grounds. We are 16 acres of wonderful land right on the Boulder Creek Path. Our setting makes it ideal for outdoor weddings and events. It is truly something special and reality is that no other Full Service hotel in Metro Denver or the City of Boulder have what we have to offer in our Gardens. It truly makes us unique and majestic.
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely staff and great location. The hotel is old, dated and in dire need of the refurbishment it is undergoing. I was originally give n a room at the back of the hotel which felt very isolated. Security did not seem to be very tight as you could walk in without swiping your room key. I asked for another room and I was given one in the front section of the hotel which was busier.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. As you pointed out we were going through a refreshing of 100 of our guest rooms, which I am very happy to report is now complete! I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our staff and yes, we are in an ideal location of Boulder. Originally when our hotel was built in 1959, we were 4 separate buildings but in the 70's construction was done to connect three of the four annexes. That is why you may have felt like you were in the back of the hotel. It is actually just a wing of the building that is all connected. We also have an automatic security lock that requires a key for entrance after 9pm into our public spaces. Once again, I appreciate your kind words and high marks for the service you recieved from our staff.
Barneveld, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Millennium Harvest house in Boulder CO, while participating in the BolderBoulder 10k race. I figured that as it was the recommended hotel by the organizers it would be great. It was halfway between the start and finished lines. Perfect! Well, not so perfect.

First off, the lobby was very nice and updated. When I got to my room, I have to say I was a little shocked. For starters, the room was huge. I'm guessing the room measured a good 20 feet wide and 25 feet long. This was the size of a studio apartment. There was a king bed, chair with foot stool, cabinet with the TV on it and a desk. A ton of open space. The only light connected to the light switch was a very dim CFL bulb above the door. Hardly enough to light most of the room. At first I thought the window was open. No, it was closed, but it was mostly all single pane glass in an old aluminum frame. The materace was thin, but firm. The curtain had a cigarette burn hole in it. The shower had holes in the sides where at one time you could see that a drying line was attached. The grab handle in the tub was loose with a screw falling out. There was no screen on the drain. Most of the fixtures in the room seemed to be from the 70's or early 80's. And $10/day for internet (that made me laugh for what it was costing me to stay there).

I should have gone down and complained, but what were they going to do? Move me to another worn out room? For between $169 and $189 per night, this was a rip off! I honestly wouldn't have paid more than $85/night for a room like this. There didn't appear to be a restaurant onsite. The front desk did not point out the direction to the pool (if there was one) or if there was a restaurant. The room was clean, and housekeeping did do a great job.

I'm sure in it's day, Millennium Harvest House Boulder was a great hotel. But it needs a lot of work. If you plan on staying here, plan on spending a lot and getting very little in return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rob G
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at The Millennium Harvest House Boulder. What a great race the Boulder Bolder is and a very busy weekend for our community honoring our fallen troops on Memorial Day. We are very proud and pleased that such a world reknown race has honored us with being the host hotel for all the international elite athletes and for the race staff themselves. I am curious if you took advantage of the Pasta Dinner we put on for all racers and guests or the post race free party that went on in our beautiful gardens with live music and lawn games. What a festive weekend it was. I am sorry that you did not notice our restaurant, Thyme on the Creek. It is connected to our main lobby and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as Cedars lounge which is also conneced to our lobby. And it is a shame you did not take advantage of out outdoor Hot tub or cool down after the race in our pool. Both of these are located in our sporting wing next to 7 of our 15 tennis courts and adjacent to our outdoor pavilion and gazebo & pool bars. Please reach out to me on your next visit and I would be happy to give you a tour of our property and all the wonderful facilities and amenities that we offer our guests.