“Dumpster Heaven”

Millennium Harvest House
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 28 June 2014

After a day of water rafting and horseback riding, my friend and I were happy to finally get to the hotel to relax. When we pulled up we found the parking easily. We grabbed all of our stuff out of the car. It wasn't until we approached the front door where we were greeted with an overflowing trash can and a huge blue dumpster with graffiti all over it which smelled absolutely horrid. We went inside and the women at the front desk checked us in then told us we should either put all of our stuff back in the car and drive around the building. We elected to walk instead. BAD idea! We walked past the blue dumpster in addition to I don't know how many others. The scent was putrid! We walk into the "back door" that we were told to walk through. There was dirt all over the place. The rugs in the entrance way, elevator, the halls, and the room were disgusting! As we walked past a few tumbleweeds of dust, we knew they were not vacuumed in months. We got into the room and there was dust in every nook and cranny in addition to pubic hairs left in the bathroom.

We called the front desk to exchange the room as it was unacceptable. We were told we needed to pay $30 extra per night because we had to upgrade if we wanted another room (sleep in filth or pay). We agreed and moved our room to the main building. We were told by staff that the reason for the problems stated above was because the hotel was old. We got to the room and set our luggage down after it passed our inspection. However, we were not told it would be a "TV free" zone. Since we have not experienced this in our travels and this was not communicated, we called to verify. They told us we could walk past the dumpsters again to another room or they would deduct the $30 per night. Overall, the experience sucked. I would never stay at this hotel again. The advice I would give management is 1) CLEAN, 2) perform spot checks to ensure responsibilities are being fulfilled, 3) train staff in customer service, 4) make the entry more appealing (the trash needs to be removed ASAP), 5) if the customer needs to walk far to their room offer to help with their luggage, and 6) eliminate excuses ("the hotel is old" will not win over a customer).

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Random0987
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. If I may, I'd like to address some of your concerns. There is in fact a blue dumpster on the side of our building as this is what the roofers are using as we are excited to report that we are either repairing or replacing the roof on our hotel. it is an incredible process how the team removes the old roof and hauls up the supplies for the new roof. In any case, we are very happy to report that is just one of the many upgrades to our hotel. And yes, we do have 7 "TV Free Zone" rooms. We get an increasing number of guest over the past few years that want nothing to do with a TV or the potential "noise pollution machine" as some have called it. Typically our staff notifies a guest if they are being moved into one of those select rooms and typically we only move people into those rooms if we are otherwise sold out. Which could be very possible as we have been the last few days. I do apologize if you were not informed as our staff historicaly does a very good job in communicating wiht our guests. Lastly, when The Harvest House was originally built it wa 4 separate buildings. Back in the 70's the hotel went through a major renovation where they connected all of the wings. Hence why there is a distance to travel at times to our different wings but they are all reachable via hallways through the hotel and no need to go outside if one did not want to. I see that you've traveled all the way from Boulder to stay with us. I would ask that next time you are in town just swing by and see all the wonderful changes that we've made.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel is in a good location. The room I was in needs upgrading as the fittings look no different from the fittings I found in hotels when I first visited the States 35 years ago. The room was clean. The gym is in very poor condition with several machines in a broken state and very limited facilities which were even more limited by the broken machines. There was an alarm clock in my room of a cheap and nasty variety and notable for the fact that it did not work. The outside facilities are pleasant but till they invest in it, perhaps best to avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been upgraded!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I can understand why you feel our beloved hotel looks or feels a little tired. Our new management team here is focused in working out and reviving our 55 year our property. You mentioned our in house gym having some broken equiptment. I'm happy to say some new equiptment is on its way an should be in place by the end of the week. You also menationed alarm clocks in the rooms. Likewise as we refresh and refurbish our rooms (Just completed 100 of them) we are replacing the alarm clocks with new clocks complete with charging pads for cell phones. So not only are we getting the building into shape but many of the smaller pieces that all add up to make a positive difference for our guest experience.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My family stayed here one night and it was supposed to be two nights. If our choice for the second night was our car we would have done that rather than stay a second night at this hotel. Couldn't sleep thinking something creepy was going to crawl on me. There were food trays lining the hallway. My brother in law grabbed the headboard to balance himself to out his shoes on and he found a nasty jalapeño pepper. The carpet was somewhat moist in spots, not sure why. This hotel doesn't look like the pictures online at all. This was by far the worst hotel I ever stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your JULY 2013 stay. I can assure you, a year later, we are a very different hotel then when you stayed with us almost a year ago. I would encourage you next time you are in town to wing by and see all the wonderful changes we've made to our hotel.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder and was a bit disappointed. First, the good: the hotel rooms were spacious and clean. The pool was good. The location is excellent. You can take a walk right out of the parking lot along the Boulder Creek Path to downtown Boulder where there are numerous shopping, drinking and dining locales that are quite excellent. Unfortunately, the Harvest House is badly in need of renovations. The rooms are tired and the bathroom is incredibly tiny and in need of updating. I will say that the staff is very nice and responsive. For example, my shower had almost no pressure the first morning even though the sink faucet was like a fire hose so I complained at the desk in the morning as I left for my meeting. When I returned at 5 PM, the shower head had been replaced and the shower was at least operational. I should note that I had read some of the less than enthusiastic reviews of others before traveling to Boulder, but as a federal employee, this was one of the few Boulder hotels that I could afford with no out-of-pocket expenses and was the hotel chosen by our meeting hosts. They did accommodate our group with a very nice buffet breakfast in the mornings which was very much appreciated. They also had a breakfast coffee bar that was quite handy. I think that this hotel could be a very nice hotel if they had substantial updating to the guest rooms.

The restaurant was also a problem. We went there the first night and even though we were just about the only ones in the restaurant at 7 PM, we had to wait an extraordinary amount of time for our food to arrive. On the other hand, the main bar is apparently under renovation, so they had a bar off of the lobby and the two women bartenders were excellent at serving us when we ventured in, which was several times during the ten day trip. The front desk personnel was also very helpful in suggesting activities for the weekend. So all in all, service was good, hotel itself not so much. I can only rate the Harvest House average at best until significant renovations are made.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a brief review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found our rooms spacious and clean. They truly are spacious ranging from 350 to 1,168 square feet! And you are correct in pointing out that our location is excellent. As you know we are situated on the Boulder Creek path and are a block away from the University, plenty of dining options and the 29th Street Mall. You also pointed out that "the hotel could be very nice if they had substantial updating to the guest rooms". I am pleased to say that we just completed a 100 room upgrade where we enlarged our bathrooms, installed refridgerators, upgraded to Keurig Coffee Makers, installed new carpet, put in new large flat screens HD tvs, new hi speed wifi access and the list just continues to go on. So as you can see we are certainly putting in some much needed time, effort and money into our beloved hotel. These changes along with our guest service will certainly make our hotel one you will be pleased to return to.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. The room and bathroom was nice and clean and the service at the hotel was excellent.

No doubt, the interior of the hotel needs an update, and it was annoying that the outdoor pool wasn't open yet. But for a short stay like ours it was ok.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taing the time to write a review of our hotel. I see that you stayed for a wedding. We are a very popular location for such events with our Outdoor Pavillion and 16 acres of land and plenty of parking for guests. Spring / summer events in our gardens is an absolute pleasure. I would like to thank you for pointing out the service being excellent during your stay and that you also found us to be clean. Our beloved hotel does have a fews years under its belt and we are working hard to implement many upgrades to the Harvest House but cleanliness and great guest service is something we can provide you with now. You mentioned the pool not being open. Sorry that our outdoor pool was not open during your stay. There was a delay as we were/are still dealing with many effects from the flood that occurred last fall and needed to wait until the spring to address some of the outoor issues we had. It is currently open. The outdoor hottub has been open for months and the indoor pool well we just close that for maintenance once a year but is also always open.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Do you enjoy the slimy lack of self worth feeling you get when you leave a brothel or a casino after blowing a bunch of money and not getting anything for it? Than this place is for you. There is no fridge, no wi-fi (unless you pay for it), no breakfast, and the "coffee" in the rooms tastes like the mud off your boots on a rainy day. It is the lowest cheapest product available, and thats the Harvest House in a nutshell. If your expectations are to receive anything like even say what a Motel 6 provides, you can forget it. The main elevator was broken, the fan in our room was broken, and the hallways are dark, dirty and smell like a meth lab exploded. Rooms are nothing special, although we enjoyed looking at the service tray featuring $5 a piece bottles of water. The courtyard was pretty, but that's it. Don't blow $200 on a mattress-stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a brief review of your stay. To answer the question you posted in your review...No, I don't know the feeling one gets when leaving a brothel or a casino when blowing a bunch of money. So I may not know exactly how you felt. I do know that you are correct in that we have an elevator out of order at this time. One of our eight elevators is undergoing modernization as we continue to upgrade our facilities. Along with modernization of several mechanical items in the hotel we have also recently refreshed 100 of our 269 rooms. These rooms all have refridgerators, new expanded bathrooms, Keurig Coffee makers currently with Green Mountain Coffee. You also used the analogy that the hallways smelled like a meth lab exploded. Again, I have never experienced that or know what that may smell like. Is it anything like a fresh coat of paint as the hallways have new carpets, lighting and a fresh coat of paint in them. We are working hard to upgrade our facilities and will continue to do so in the days ahead. Perhaps if your travels bring you back into town you will see the hotel in a different light.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

After finding the hotel we booked had falsely advertised theirselves we moved down to this hotel. The staff was super friendly and they upgraded us to a room with a balcony in the tower. The room was very clean, great firm kind bed, awesome big bathroom. New paint and new carpet, updated furnishings. Beautiful property with a pool and hot tub. Indoor and outdoor pool. Indoor had lap swimming and 4 lanes with lane lines. Right next to the river and walking trails, tennis courts, friendly squirrels. Kuerig coffe machine in room and frig. Very pleased.

Room Tip: Although they are working on the hotel the guys did not start banging until after 9:30 am. If you wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy L
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you after a poor experience at another location. We are very pleased to offer some nice touches and upgrades in our rooms, such as 45 channels of HD TV with free movies and that's great that you were able to take advantage of our pools and hot tub. As you pointed out the being right next to the creek and creek path to stroll downtown is a huge plus. Thrilled to hear the squirrels were even friendly. We try to work on friendliness and guest service to all those that are on property whether they work here or reside in our trees on our 16 acre property. :-) Thanks again and we look forward to your return