“Don't Stay At This Apparent Self-Service Only Hotel”

Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband, my mother and her fiance stayed here for one night after the three of them came to Boulder to visit me while I was attending classes at UC-Boulder. I had researched the hotel using past reviews from other TripAdvisor users. I knew that it was a ways from town, was an old office building and there were not elevators. I was completely fine with all that. (I did rate location as poor because, while I wasn't BOTHERED by the drive, it is poorly located.) We arrived at the hotel around 9 or so on a Friday evening after going to a late dinner. There was no hotel employee to be found. We found our name on an envelope at the front desk containing a key and room number. We took our luggage to the room and opened the door to what can only be described as a sauna. It was mid/late July and the room was easily over 80 degrees. Not exactly the relaxing environment we desired in a hotel room. We cranked up the air but it didn't really get cool until the next morning when we were getting ready to check out. You would think they could have turned on the air before they left our keys at the front desk for the weekend. It was a big room but the bathroom was tiny, a shower, toilet and barely enough room to shut the door. There were only two towels in the bathroom for a room with two queen size beds. On one of several trips to the dirty-floored laundry area, I looked for the "extra towels" in the seemingly appropriately labeled cupboards but to no avail. The only thing I found were extra washcloths which is what my husband I resorted to drying ourselves with after our showers the next morning. On all those trips through the hotel, not once did I ever see a single hotel employee. The next morning, my mom and her fiance awoke early to take a walk in the area, still, no hotel employee was anywhere to be found. It was also past the point of the continental breakfast and the room wasn't even unlocked. By the time we checked, we were able to find somebody who was vacuuming to help us check out. Never again will we stay at this establishment and we will tell anybody who will listen to avoid it as well. The price wasn't bad but it was astronomical when you consider we paid for an uncomfortable bed in a hot room where we had to get our own necessities. We would have been better off sleeping in our cars.

Room Tip: The best option for a good room: any room at any other hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Diamond_Debutante
BineshPrasad, Owner at Boulder Twin Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

I am sorry you had this experience and surprised you did not complain to us about this or write this review right after your stay so we could investigate your complain.. We are always a phone call away no matter where we are. We have regular maintenance on our HVAC units and they perform well. Normally we turn air conditioners on for all late check ins. Again I am sorry for this.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I stayed at the Twin Lakes in April 2011, and I will stay there again. The staff is friendly, helpful, and the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. It's away from the main area of Boulder, but you'll be glad that you stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sketavong
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Located in a residential area, a bit far from the center, we were happy our GPS has been able to take us there in the dark. The hotel is seemingly converted office building. The price was right and hotels closer to the city center were all booked. It is most definitely not Super8 even. The room was quite large with the sink in the room. There was a desk, a fridge, all in the room like a studio apartment in New York. It was clean, and we have no complaints, but somehow unusual. Since we arrived late, the key was waiting for us in an envelope, and in the morning we have deposited signed bill in an envelope and dropped on the desk. We have not encountered a receptionist throughout our 1 night stay. Overall, we were satisfied but a bit mystified.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sbmvr
Reviewed 1 November 2011

i reached at midnight and the keys were kept in the front desk. what i like: the service is prompt and good. The inn keepers are always there whenever you need to call 'em. They provide complementary breakfast and it was also nice. the rooms are clean. They have a kitchen which the guests can use. And there are two bookshelves, and a computer with internet connection which the guests can use.Wifi was also there. Overall it was a nice experience staying there.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank deepak p
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in mid October while on vacation. It was reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. The room was designed as if I were staying at someone's home. My husband and I loved it.It was definitely a more unique experience than when I have stayed at a chain hotel and I liked the coziness of the room alot. It is in a residential area with a beautiful walking trail in either direction and quiet at night because you arent on a main road listening to cars drive by.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S T
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This place was hard to find at night. The room had a crazy set-up. There was a kitchen counter and cabinets. A kitchen sink and right beside it on the counter was a small bathroom sink because there wasn’t one in the bathroom. The breakfast was mediocre. The hot water for tea was lukewarm and had to be warmed in the microwave. No one was attending the breakfast room and there was a kitchen sink piled high with dirty dishes. Thank goodness we were only going to stay there one night before going on our tour of Colorado.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Juniemoon
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I stayed here in late September for a business trip. I was encouraged by the positive reviews on trip advisor, and I was not disappointed. Hotel staff is friendly, rooms are clean, and hotel is quiet. A few minor complaints: 1) Don't be fooled by the bucolic pics on the website homepage; this hotel is not in the most scenic area. It's basically a renovated office building in a residential area. That being said, there's a lovely park and jogging trail nearby. 2) The front desk is almost never manned. There is a phone number you can call, however, and staff are always in the building and very responsive. 3) It's a bit of a schlep to downtown boulder (~10 minute drive), so if you want to be in the center of the action, this probably isn't the place for you.

That being said, I had a lovely 2-night stay here, and would stay here again, especially for the price.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business