“Ample and Economical Accomodation”

Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Redstone, Co
“Ample and Economical Accomodation”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Have stayed here several times over past 5 years. A bit aged, bed mattresses not very firm, fairly clean, quiet, fairly simple continental breakfast, easy to check in and out. Television and heating system somewhat dated. Access is fairly easy and its only 15 minute drive to Boulder, Longmont or Louisville. You have to drive to one of these towns to find a restaurant. Seems to be quite a few workers staying here now; had not noticed that in the past. For those just wanting a good nights sleep without anything fancy or a big hot breakfast, its a good value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ernieRedstone_CO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ames
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Good Value- We have stayed here twice now for a week each as it is close to our daughter's home and with rates very reasonable with the healthy breakfast every morning. The rooms are a bit dated and darkish but are roomy and clean and contain a small kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave. The beds are most comfortable and appointed.A very friendly and accommodating staff-Neil and Karen Armstrong innkeepers with a good house keeping staff. Left us with a large selection of Danish sugar cookies as a Christmas time treat! We were also permitted to have our dog as there are several dog friendly rooms on first floor at a reasonable daily rate. There are nearby trails and walks and shopping is easily reached by car just north of the property called Gun Barrel on the north side of Boulder. It would be a good place to stay if you wanted to do day trips to the mountains as its a short drive to Loveland and Fort Collins and areas West of Boulder!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have more window light. I don't remember seeing an elevator to second floor rooms?
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chetek, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We picked the boulder twin lakes inn because of the price. Awesome value. Hotel is a little outdated, however it's well kept and clean. The beds have been updated and were clean and comfortable. Rooms would be nice if staying longer term as they have kitchenettes. Also shared kitchen area if meeting with others. Inn keepers were friendly an accommodating.

• Stayed November 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We booked our family into the last room available that would take a dog the day after our home flooded. We knew we would need to be out of our home for a while, but had no idea how long that would be. Twin Lakes Inn couldn't have been more compassionate to our needs! They worked with us and made sure we could stay as long as needed..... that ended up being 35 days! We all felt very comfortable and quickly settled into our home away from home! Everything was clean, quiet, the beds were very comfortable and all in all quite nice considering we were designated a "pet" friendly room. Their friendliness surpassed that of any hotel, and we considered ourselves very lucky to have found a little oasis during a very disruptive time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Allyson S
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Found the Boulder Twin Lakes Inn here on Trip Advisor and it is an excellent bargain. The rooms are clean and spacious, the prices are hard to beat, the breakfast offerings hearty, and the staff very helpful. It my be on the outer edge of town, but its only 10 minutes from downtown.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I booked this "hotel" Inn from the reviews I read and the fact that it was $80 vs. $280 which is what the chain hotels were charging in Boulder. My son's house and property were destroyed by the 9/11 flood and I needed to find an affordable place to stay for a week or so. This Inn is a converted office building that was built in the 70-80's. Upon arrival, I was greeted, sorta, by the owner. He asked if I was checking in and then pointed to an instruction sheet on how to check in. He basically talked to me like I was a 8 year old saying, "you didn't read the instructions now did you?". I explained that I had been up since 3:30 a.m. which he then "walked" me through the process. He showed me a basket with envelopes that had names written on them and gave me mine. NOT a safe way to check in and certainly not at all welcoming. He had me sign an invoice type thing with detailed instructions on what to do and not to do. The key to the room was an old house key on a ring. He then pointed to another basket where I was to put my signed invoice! My room wasn't ready and I needed to change into my work clothes but, he did say I could go to my room, leave my bags and change clothes. Came back to my room later and it was cleaned. However, the room decor was very dated. Bathroom was just big enough to turn around in with tub and toilet. The bathroom sink. was in the bedroom right next to the kitchenette sink. There were 2 towel holders as well. One for the kitchenette and the other one for bathroom hand towels side by side. Furniture was a mish-mash of what they could find, I guess. Old style headboard and bedding, old over stuffed chair, fast food type table and chairs, dresser from days past, nothing matched...just very stuck in the 70's-80's. The "amenities" were 2 little tiny bars of soap the size of a quarter and one tiny bottle of shampoo/conditioner and one with lotion. One thing that really got me was the toilet plunger in the bathroom. Disgusting! The lamps..didn't match also didn't work. WiFi worked really well in the room. The hallways outside were lined with posters from past Olympians and as it turns out the owner and his wife were also, back in the 80's. Breakfast every morning was hard boiled eggs, little tiny pastries, dry cereal, fresh fruit. The owner would fastidiously wash the dishes and making sure all chairs were just in right place. Very OCD, I do believe. He was pleasant and engaged in conversations with other guests and myself, however. Housekeeping was hit and miss. My dishes did not get washed, coffee maker cleaned out and some days they would replace the plastic cups (only get 2 at a time), bars of soap not replaced.. After a few days, I realized that I was going to stay another week to help with the clean up of the flood. The owner did keep me in my room so that I didn't have to move to another one. Since HK didn't do much other then make the bed, I left a note requesting to have the sheets changed, needed 2 regular coffees every day, fix the lamps, wash my dishes, more soap,etc. etc. and a $10 tip. That evening, everything that I listed was taken care of. However, the rest of the week, got decaf, no cups, dishes and coffee maker left dirty. I needed to do my laundry which there were washer and dryers for guests use but, the vending machine to buy detergent was out of service. So, I had to go buy the smallest bottle I could find and ended of leaving it in my room because of the size. I attempted to use the hotel public computers but, were mostly off line and the printer wouldn't work. I asked the owner about that and he said that they were "so old and full of viruses". Not at all concerned, so it seems. Well, I was told by my bank that after I had logged on to find out that someone had installed a virus in his computers and was connected to a "device" out of the country which someone was attempting to hack my bank accounts. My bank's fraud department detected it and closed off my account from anymore online log ins! Found this out once I returned home! Not acceptable and should have NEVER happened. How could anyone have public computers without a virus protector? A strong message to the guests was "you are on your own and don't ask for anymore then what we are giving you and we're not doing anymore then we have to". I considered staying there again, putting up with all the quirkiness of the owner and rooms but, after the computer hacker trying to hack my bank accounts because the owner's ineptness at computers, I will not stay there again. .I have learned my lesson about staying in home owned hotels. Basically, this is you get what you pay for type place. Have a whole new appreciation for big chain hotels!

Room Tip: Have no expectations of what you expect when you stay in a hotel. This was more like staying in a b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank divetravlr
BineshPrasad, Owner at Boulder Twin Lakes Inn, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. My heart goes out to you and your son whose house was devastated by the flood. I only met you for couple days of your stay and listened to your story many times and you had exhausted your self beyond belief as a mother. Most of the guests and photos of the Inn will prove the renovations we have done and at what stage our Inn is from the 80's and 90's. We make changes to the Inn every year Our computers had no viruses , but were older operating versions of windows and sometimes did not communicate with the printer. We have new windows 7 dell computers and printer and they all work well . We have and will always have virus protection in all our computers. All the best to you and your son,
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 29 September 2013

What a wonderful find here in Boulder! My children live close by to the Inn, I live in the city of Boulder but needed a few days of rest after spending weeks dealing with Flood recovery issues in my home. From the moment I stepped in the lobby of the Inn I felt welcome, comfortable and immediately sensed the Inn to be my home away from home! The room that I stayed in was a non smoking room and pet friendly. It was clean and beyond my expectations of a room where pets were! No odors, or any signs of pets were present. The room was very large in comparison to other hotel rooms that I've stayed at in prior Inns. The staff was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. In the morning they serve a very nice breakfast that the guests enjoy at their leisure. I was surprised to see the fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, pastries, orange juice and many other breakfast items to choose from. There's a laundry room right off the lobby, computers for the guests to use and even a hot tub. In the room there's a kitchenette with a microwave, mini fridge and sink, dishes, etc. The mattresses were so comfortable. I have only positive comments to make regarding Boulder Twin Lakes Inn. Affordable and everything I needed to have a restful, comfortable stay. I felt very safe and secure too. I recommend this Inn A+++. -Laura C.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo