“Convenient; nice staff; reasonably good food; too expensive for what it is”

Kasa Japanese Grill & Bar
Ranked #131 of 592 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well, I can see that plenty of other reviewers like Kasa; but I can't join their enthusiasm as much as I would like to. Something about Kasa has never clicked for me in the years that I have eaten there. I don't fault the food so I guess what holds me back is the fact that every time I visit I feel it is overpriced and I just don't get value.

The decor is lovely: see the photos from reviewers. It is a pretty place to take your date.

I have had sushi in the past and recall that it was pretty good. But not so good that I would rush there for it. And I do think that their sushi is on the heavier end of the cost scale. I attach a photo of the sushi menu so you can make your own judgment about the range and the pricing.

I also attach a photo of the main menu. Again, you can decide for yourself if this is what you want. The grilled items are fairly good. I have eaten most of the yakitori items and they are tasty. They are also really quite small. The bento box (I had chicken katsu) was pleasant: a reasonable, not big, portion of nicely prepared katsu (pleasantly dry and crisp, not at all oily), three portions of different Japanese salads, a quarter segment of orange; curiously, no rice. The tempura shrimp soba noodle soup was enjoyable - lively broth, lots of noodles, one tempura shrimp.

Now ... the big questions: was all this worth the cost ? did this feel like a $47 lunch? Not to me. This is Boulder, CO for goodness sake, not London or New York. I attach the bill so you can see how it got to $47 before tip. Sure, some people will say they don't need so many dishes and the cost would be lower. True. But these are not big portions.

If you want to spend $50 on a Japanese meal in Boulder and feel like you got something good for it the answer is simple: go to Amu in the evening (it doesn't do lunch). Amu is outstandingly good.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have been to countless Sushi Restuarants and Japanese restaurants.....many of which actually in Tokyo so I have a pretty high standard when it comes to Sushi. I was a bit skeptical of finding a "good sushi" place in the land-locked state of Colorado but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by kasa. It had beautifl decor inside and was much nicer than what I was expecting for a "College town". The owner is Japanese and his wife is Korean. Both are very friendly as are the rest of the staff. The restaurant has some great drink options for you to enjoy while you ponder your many dining options. The restaurant also has weekly specials which are a nice touch. I ended up getting a few appetizers and some sushi....both of which turned out to be fantastic. I was greatly surprised by the freshness and quality of both. Kudos to the Chefs for their great care and passion. I would definitely add the place to my "Top Ten" list of favorite Sushi restaurants. This is a great place to come for a dinner date or a nice relaxing dinner. This restaurant also has a great location on Pearl street and is walking distance from the rest of the Pearl Street bars and nightlife.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

The best environment of the many sushi restaurants on Boulder's Pearl Street Mall, Kasa features a sushi bar, cocktail bar, and tables and patio seating in a spacious location at the corner Pearl and 15th. Upon entering, you're usually greeted by a cheer from all the employees, from sushi chef to hostess and servers. The hostess gave excellent recommendations to the novice in our party. We enjoyed sashimi, and creative rolls - my favorite was the Kasa Girl. The menu also features yakitori, noodles and cooked fish dishes. The service was courteous, although sometimes a bit slow. We frequent many of Boulder's restaurants, but this is my new favorite for sushi.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is by far the best sushi I have ever had – EVER. I am a big sushi aficionado and I love to try new sushi places whenever I am out-of-town. I feel like I need to take back all my 4 or 5 star review of other sushi restaurants because this restaurant was on a whole new level. First, the people who work there are beyond friendly – they ALL greeted us with a warm “hello” and a cherry welcome and asked us if we wanted to sit at the table or at the sushi bar. We choose the sushi bar (and I am glad we did).
THE SERVICE –
Excellent! There was no delay in our order and the hostesses and host were super-attentive and very friendly. We promptly received our menus and our drinks. The sushi chefs were very gracious and they even asked us if we had any questions about the menu items (we didn’t). The sushi chef also grilled some fish for us with some special season just for us ‘to try”. It was awesome – the most succulent fish I have had in a long time.
THE FOOD –
Outstanding! Like all sushi restaurants, Kasa had a variety of sushi menu items that are unique to the restaurant. We order some typical sushi (rainbow roll, for example) and a few items off of their ‘specials’. The special items were AMAZING! The portion sizes were good and the fish was super-fresh. Some of their sushi came with shredded jicama or pickled radish – both of which were unique additions to the sushi that gave it an extra ‘bite’. The sauces that came with some of the items were also very tasty.
THE AMBIANCE –
Japanese umbrellas decorated the ceilings and part of the walls – which I thought was really neat. I have worked in a restaurant before and I know how to scrutinize cleanliness and I can say that this is probably the cleanest restaurant I have been to. The floors are well kept, the kitchen equipment is pristine and the tables are wiped down and immaculate.
OVERALL –
If I am every in Boulder again, I will be coming back to Kasa. The only down-side is that the prices are a bit high – but it’s typical for sushi and even more so because of its location (on Pearl Street).

Reviewed 29 September 2012

had the perfect lunch of sushi and tea here, while visiting Boulder. The food was scrumptious and the orange tea was delicious. My location on their outdoor patio while a pianist played close by made it even better. I highly recommend this place.