“Nice Japanese Restaurant”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had business lunch with colleagues Japanese food quality was good but portions not too big. Food was quickly out and service was good. Nice and helpful staff. Good option for something different.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I say this is unique because the different fish they get in is not the unusual for the other sushi places in town. Some of the most unique fish are flown in from Tokyo and available for only a week or two. I think their specialty is having some more unusual fish that other place just do not bother with. I have had many different dishes here, from Japanese fried chicken to some of the noodle and sushi dishes. All are presented exceptionally well and are usually very good.
My only comment is why charge for soy sauce without gluten and the extra tea past two cups should still be free, I feel. How much tea can a person really drink...1 to 3 cups I'd think??
Their fried foods are never oily and that is a big plus.

The wait staff is friendly - Kim ( wife )is very sweet - most of all it is VERY CLEAN including the very modern bathrooms. I hate certain places in town that have very dirty bathrooms... makes you wonder about their kitchens.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Walking into Kasa gave us a wonderful impression. The decor was beautiful, but to pay for that they had to cut down on the portion sizes. My wife and I decided to order our usual to compare it with other local sushi restaurants. And although tasty, it was not so outstanding to justify the price. When I asked for a refill on my green tea, our waiter told me that they only give one and maybe I should wait until my cup was a little more empty. Needless to say, my cup did NOT runneth over.

1  Thank JamiePS
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well, I can see that plenty of other reviewers like Kasa; but I can't join their enthusiasm as much as I would like to. Something about Kasa has never clicked for me in the years that I have eaten there. I don't fault the food so I guess what holds me back is the fact that every time I visit I feel it is overpriced and I just don't get value.

The decor is lovely: see the photos from reviewers. It is a pretty place to take your date.

I have had sushi in the past and recall that it was pretty good. But not so good that I would rush there for it. And I do think that their sushi is on the heavier end of the cost scale. I attach a photo of the sushi menu so you can make your own judgment about the range and the pricing.

I also attach a photo of the main menu. Again, you can decide for yourself if this is what you want. The grilled items are fairly good. I have eaten most of the yakitori items and they are tasty. They are also really quite small. The bento box (I had chicken katsu) was pleasant: a reasonable, not big, portion of nicely prepared katsu (pleasantly dry and crisp, not at all oily), three portions of different Japanese salads, a quarter segment of orange; curiously, no rice. The tempura shrimp soba noodle soup was enjoyable - lively broth, lots of noodles, one tempura shrimp.

Now ... the big questions: was all this worth the cost ? did this feel like a $47 lunch? Not to me. This is Boulder, CO for goodness sake, not London or New York. I attach the bill so you can see how it got to $47 before tip. Sure, some people will say they don't need so many dishes and the cost would be lower. True. But these are not big portions.

If you want to spend $50 on a Japanese meal in Boulder and feel like you got something good for it the answer is simple: go to Amu in the evening (it doesn't do lunch). Amu is outstandingly good.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have been to countless Sushi Restuarants and Japanese restaurants.....many of which actually in Tokyo so I have a pretty high standard when it comes to Sushi. I was a bit skeptical of finding a "good sushi" place in the land-locked state of Colorado but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by kasa. It had beautifl decor inside and was much nicer than what I was expecting for a "College town". The owner is Japanese and his wife is Korean. Both are very friendly as are the rest of the staff. The restaurant has some great drink options for you to enjoy while you ponder your many dining options. The restaurant also has weekly specials which are a nice touch. I ended up getting a few appetizers and some sushi....both of which turned out to be fantastic. I was greatly surprised by the freshness and quality of both. Kudos to the Chefs for their great care and passion. I would definitely add the place to my "Top Ten" list of favorite Sushi restaurants. This is a great place to come for a dinner date or a nice relaxing dinner. This restaurant also has a great location on Pearl street and is walking distance from the rest of the Pearl Street bars and nightlife.