“Amazing”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband and I went to Wasabi during our stay at Breck. This restraunt has a ton of windows overlooking downtown and the mountain range. Our food was incredible, drinks good, waitress very friendly. The guys behind the bar making sushi rolls are lightning fast. Everything we had there was delicious and prices were reasonable. More of a high end sushi place, but definitely worth every penny. Great vibe.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

There were 4 of us....and all 4 have experienced Japanese food around the world. This was the worst sushi and teriyaki chicken that we have ever experienced. The chicken looked like left over parts and pieces and it was tough and chewy....both the chicken ordered in the Boat as well as the dinner. One who ordered the chicken teriyaki dinner is not a picky eater but could only eat 25% of the chicken. The vegetables with the chicken teriyaki dinner were not fresh. As for the sushi, the fish was not fresh the rice was warm and fell apart, what else shall I say..... The suchi rolls are bad when they fall apart

Be aware....apparently it's on the menu but we didn't see it: they charge an automatic 20% gratuity for tables of 4 or more. That sealed the deal for us ever going back to this place.

Our waitress was nice but had limited control on our displeasure plus seemed overworked with 7-8 tables to handle.

We paid $191.00, for 4.....including the automatic 20% tip.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Have just had another great meal at Wasabi. We visit each year & always enjoy the food which is of good quality & good value for sushi. The restaurant is no frills but it is small & friendly. We have never noted the fishy odour that a recent reviewer mentioned. Our only slightly negative comment would be that the waitress takes your credit card away to sort out the bill rather than doing the transaction at your table.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I hate writing negative reviews but I have to be objective because based on my experience these other positive reviews are way out of whack. I never like writing negative and very seldom do but I think reading negative reviews are important because it will push the restaurant to improve their services/food.

First the good. The place is run by true Japanese owners which is typically always a good sign when you go to a Japanese restaurant. It looked like a husband/wife team. They were very friendly and the location is great right on Main Street downtown in one of the buildings so it was super convenient. They also take all credit cards including AMEX.

We read some positive reviews on Trip Advisor so we decided to try it as we were hungry for some sushi and Japanese food.

We went in for lunch and our decision not to order sushi stemmed from the fact that there was a strong fish odor in the place. And not what I'd call a pleasant smell. That made us decide to order the Chicken Teriyaki Bowl. I got the plain chicken teriyaki and my wife got the chicken teriyaki with vegetables bowl. We also ordered a Gyoza appetizer which was mediocre at best.

I asked the woman if she could put the chicken on the side. "No". Huh? I wasn't asking for anything special. Only that instead of putting the chicken on top they simply put it on a plate with the rice separated from the chicken. VERY strange that she said they couldn't do this. I'm not sure if everything is just pre-made and mixed but I'd assume so from her response.

We got our dishes and the chicken was VERY dry. It was so dry it was almost inedible. I'm not exaggerating. I bit in it and it was very difficult to even chew. I asked them for a knife (they had plastic forks but no knives). The owner said they didn't have any knives and he said if I wanted it cut to bring it up to him and he would have to cut it with his knife.

Someone mentioned a waitress here in another post but there is NO waitstaff at all. Which is totally fine. But I thought it was important to note.

Again, I hate posting negative reviews and almost NEVER have rated a place as "Poor" but would feel horrible if I didn't post a review based on our experience. I'm a business owner and I hate leaving negative feedback but I hope the owners will take this negative review and improve upon things.

1) I've been to a lot of sushi places that have fresh fish and none of them smelled bad like that in the restaurant so the owners need to do something about this smell

2) Chicken dish was very dry and very strange not to allow a customer to have the chicken on the side. If they are going to continue with such dry chicken at least have knives to cut it with.

No way I could recommend this place. Hopefully they improve things as the couple seemed very nice.

3  Thank saintba
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Sushi & staff were great.This is not a fancy sushi place-just a few tables and a sushi bar tucked inside a "mall" on Main Street. Food was fresh, nice Japanese beer selection, and nice service. I would return on a subsequent trip to Breckenridge on a more casual night.