“Reminds me of a worn out shoe”

DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Hilton Diamond Services passed this to me as a new property....oh boy was I shocked! I was looking for properties that allowed me to bring my dogs. I checked in after a 15 minute wait about 6 pm on a Friday nite (the wait was because only one person was on duty)and had ALREADY payed half of the 2 nights upfront when I made the reservation and was told it was non-refundable.The manager asked me what did Hilton Diamond tell me what the pet fee was ? I raised my eyes in disbelief and said $30 dollars.I got the impression as if he was going to charge me some ridiculous number. It was strange but I was charged more per night by a few dollars than what my reservation and half paid for was done over the phone a week before over the phone.I let it go and asked where the carts were to bring my luggage up .The person on duty told me it would be a awhile as they preferred to keep the carts locked up and he was the only one on duty and had other people to take care of first!So we went up to the room after 2 elevators and maze hallways which had that 70s feeling. I opened the door tot he room and was totally disappointed.I went back through the maze and 2 elevators and back to the front desk .I told the person on duty the room was unacceptable as it had worn carpet and an awful smell and loud view of the roof tops of lower floors. He said well that Is an upgraded room for Diamond Members with pets, I said "really? Why dont we go up and take a look at it?" He said i am the only person here and can not leave the front desk ...I said is there a hotel manager on duty ....he said "I AM THE MANAGER" ....I said its Labor Day weekend in Breckenridge at a Hilton property and your the only one working ? He said there is not much I can do for you. I said let me call Hilton Diamond ans see what they want to do as spend over 100 nights a year in there properties and I am not spending all weekend in that room...also how would you like the survey to go that I ma sure I am going to get? He said hang up I think .I might have another room for you .

Room Tip: Better go look at it first
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank John L
Whitney T, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for your experience at our hotel. We are extremely proud of the many upgrades made to the property over the last 12 months and look forward to completing our third phase of renovations beginning in the spring of 2013. We recently changed our Pet Fee which is why our agent asked what the reservations department quoted to you so that we could make sure you were not charged a price that you did not agree to during the reservation process. We apologize if this was not properly communicated. Thank you for your feedback as we continually look to improve ourselves and our guest’s experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I won't ever stay here again. I paid over $200 per room for Labor Day weekend and the "air conditioning" is a box fan in the window. Hey guys how about some built-in ventilation with thermostatic control. We didn't get a good night's sleep at all! Plus we got there late in the day and didn't notice how poorly the screen fit in the window and we got bug bites. It took a couple calls to the front desk before maintenance showed up to fix the screen. Nice guy but he can't overcome a bad design. The front desk only had one overworked person, no concierge, no help. The staff was nice but management needs to put more people there. On the website they say they are within walking distance of town but some people don't consider seven-tenths of a mile walking distance. If you do down to town it's quite an uphill walk so you have to wait for the complementary shuttle (good if it's not too busy).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe_S_Caja

We deeply apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations through out your stay. With our hotel located at 9,600 feet above sea level in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, we generally do not need air conditioning. We do provide portable air conditioning units in the rare cases where the room is too warm. I apologize that this was not communicated to you. We do appreciate your feedback and would like to ensure you that the proper actions have been taken to provide a more pleasant stay for our guests in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

They indicate that they will renovate rooms this fall. That should help as the rooms and bathrooms are in need of updating. They offer shuttle service into the town which is a nice benefit. Front desk was very cordial and helpful. The hotel design/layout is somewhat strange and limited elevators do not serve both towers. I am not sure what they were thinking (or smoking) when they designed the property. Over all a good stay once you learn the tricks about getting around the property.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are alike. The first room looked nothing like the photos on the website. We change to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

this hotel is nice and was great for our needs (we spent most of our time in Leadville). We had never traveled to Colorado and were surprised to find that most hotels do not have AC. this would have been ok, a fan was provided, but when we returned to our room to sleep, the room was a bit warm. The staff was very pleasant and friendly, especially Trey the bartender in the restaurant. I was impressed by the enclosed and secure garage parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank road-warri0r10
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The young lady at the check-in desk was very friendly and professional. The porter was very helpful and pleasant. The room was large, clean, and recently renovated. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice balcony. The pool was crowded with families, but the jacuzzi was very relaxing. The breakfast service on our first morning was excellent with a very attentive and cheerful waitress who kept our coffee cups full which we truly appreciated. The breakfast service on the second morning was not very good with lots of customers and few wait staff. We had to seek out our waitress to check on our slow service, and she was not happy with us for doing that and was surly when we asked for a refill of our coffee cup, and that left us with a poor impression of the restaurant. The garage filled up quickly at night, but we found one open spot after a wait. It was nice to have garage parking. We were thankful that our room was close to the elevator and stairs as there are long hallways. We declined to pay the pricey fee for Internet access in our room. This hotel would be higher on our recommended list if it It would offer free wireless Internet access as so many other hotels and condos in the area provide.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark1952
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding. We had a king standard room on the 8th floor but the room was very small. Not anything like the photos on line. The elevators were not at all convenient as you have to walk through the hotel to the first elevator and if on the upper floors you change elevators which also requires a walk through the hotel again to get to. The bed was very comfortable. No air conditioning and the windows open only a tiny bit so you are forced to have a noisy fan on at night. All in all should have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge for a long weekend as I had a wedding to attend. I must say this hotel was 100% up to Hilton standards. Upon walking through the doors of this beautiful hotel, we were greeted by the bellman/concierge, who directed up to the front desk. The front desk personnel was super friendly, professional, cheery and helpful. My pre-assigned room was not available as we check in around 1 PM, so they moved us to another room. They explained altitude sickness and what to do if our room gets "stuffy" (no a/c).

The room itself was awesome. We had a non-traditional room as it was as the end of a hallway, I guess some would consider it a corner room. The room was spacious, uber clean, and the beds were comfy (fresh white duvets). The bathroom was a bit small, but clean and a great shower head.

Our room did get stuffy the first night so as advised we placed the box fan in the window. I was slightly annoyed at first because I like it really quiet when I sleep, but shortly there after my mindset changed because it was SO NICE to sleep with fresh, cool mountain air. It was a nice change from a/c.

The location is grand as well. It was located next to a ski resort/lift, on the side of a mountain and a short walk from main street (5 minutes tops). If you don't want to walk to main street, they have an on-demand shuttle that will take you there. The drive (I forget his name) was very friendly and knowledgeable. They offered a very nice buffet breakfast (one that is actually worth the money) with fresh eggs, bacon, a variety of breads, muffins, cereals, etc... VERY NICE!

I've traveled to 53 countries and stayed in thousands of hotels over the past 12 years so I don't review lightly. Over all I would rate this hotel a 10. There was not a single things wrong with this hotel. Staff, room, location, food, customer service, etc... AWESOME!

If you have questions, hit me up.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends