“Like sleeping outside” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Wayside Inn
Longmont, Colorado
“Like sleeping outside”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here on Labor Day weekend 2012 for 2 nights. They were charging $95/night for a room with 2 full beds, but we booked the room for $71/night online. In my opinion, the room was worth no more than $40/night, and that could still be considered a generous price. You can't even justify the price by pointing out that it's in Breckenridge, because it was still a few miles from town. Here are the the basic things I would expect from a low-end hotel (maybe a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn) that this hotel lacked: a phone in the room, a bar of soap, a tub (there was only a tiny shower), heat/AC controls in each room, a couple of plastic cups, a peek hole on the door, a chain on the door, some sort of information booklet about the hotel in each room, the ability to park directly in front of my room (you had to parallel park along the property), a working lock on the bathroom door, and a tight seal between the floor and the door. Here are are additional things I would expect at a similarly priced hotel (in the $85 $110/night range): a key card, a small bottle of shampoo and lotion, a microwave, a fridge, a coffee maker, a continental breakfast, and blinds on the window (not just a small curtain). I am not expecting the Hilton here, just some standard items for the price I paid. The gap under our door let in spiders and cold air. We told the manager, and she told us she would spray for the spiders (I had a dog and a small child with me, so no...and the problem was the gap...) or she would give me an old towel to put in front of the gap! Then she made excuses that the building is old and shifts. She let me check out another room ,but it still had a huge gap under the door, and the door didn't close at all until we turned the deadbolt. She did not turn on any heat at night, so my husband and I froze and fought over the down blanket the hotel provided (nice, but I would rather have had some heat). There was no fan in the room to drown out noise (except the bathroom fan, which sounded like a train), and you can hear EVERY conversation in other rooms. People walking above you sound like elephants. I asked her for a fan since I could not sleep, and she did provide that. Also, some people might like the owners' golden retriever walking around the property, but I think it's a terrible idea even though I love dogs. Some guests might be afraid of dogs, and the dog was following our dog around during his walk. The only positive things I can say are that the beds are fairly comfortable and there was a nice flat-screen TV.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here when we were renovating our house and decided to go away to Brecekenridge. This is not in the central of Brecekenridge but we enjoyed walking aroung the inn in the morning. The room is newly renovated but the bathroom is really tiny. Its clean which is very imporant for us. We were able to bring our pet too. For the price, this is a nice room for a good sleep and you could park in front of the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rsal_lrs
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here in March 2012 and was very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. After arriving in Breckenridge without previously booking any hotels I was able to find vacancy at the Wayside Inn. I found out that it was Spring Break and most other hotels were booked up or out of my price range. I paid $125 per night for two nights. The Inn provided free breakfast in the morning which was pretty good. I recommend this place for anyone looking to stay in Breckenridge without spending a lot of money on a hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tad D
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We were in Room 28, which I dont believe is one of the nicer rooms for the Wayside, we had a quick peak in a room in the front of the hotel which appeared to be much nicer. As other reviewers stated, the bed was comfy but the carpet and bathroom were pretty shabby. Location is fine, a few miles outside of town. The TV and cable was nice and unexpected, there is no dryer in the bathroom (and only a shower). I would recommend the Wayside for an inexpensive short stay in Breck.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

My 2 friends, boyfriend, and I stayed in March for Spring Break. We were a little concerned at first because it was such a great price, but when we arrived, the rooms were clean, beds were comfy and the view was AMAZING. Being a college student, prices were more important than the way it looked, but it was VERY cute and would highly recommend it to anyone else!! We loved it so much, my boyfriend and I are going back in December/January and we cannot wait! The only downside is that you can't control the heat so it does get a little stuffy at night, and the locks on the door aren't very good. I'm a huge worrier when it comes to my safety, but they served their purpose. Also, it's less than 2 miles away from downtown so you still have access to everything, but you don't have to pay outrageous prices to get the view.

Room Tip: First floor was a little noisy because it was where all traffic flowed to get to the second floor, b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed here over the recent President's weekend mainly because I refused to pay the premium prices for the slopeside resorts. I have been to Breckenridge multiple times and usually do stay on the mountain but most likely will not after staying at Wayside. It is a quaint Inn priced very reasonable. There is a free breakfast included that will get u started on the slopes. It is quiet and very clean rooms! This place is basic with no frills so stay somewhere else if you are expecting more than a quiet, comfortable room after a day on the slopes. I will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

For our latest trip to Breck we decided to try the Wayside Inn instead of our usual hotel, but had to cancel due to an illness in the family. I was surprised to find that we were charged the full price for 2 nights even though we cancelled the reservation 48 hrs prior to check-in; hotel stated they have a policy that the reservation must be cancelled 14-DAYS prior. I could understand a policy such as this with a condo from a private party, but this is a hotel (most reputable places require at most a 24 hr notice). To make matters worse this policy was not stated upfront when we made the reservation, and is not on their website, which is deceiving for new customers. When I contacted the manager Mr. Gleason regarding this, he proceeded to lecture me instead of addressing the issue, which I found offensive. I guess this is what we get for trying something different - won't make this mistake again. Buyer beware.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Breckenridge hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Breckenridge
Skiway Lodge
#5 of 23 in Breckenridge
The Bivvi Hostel
The Bivvi Hostel
#1 of 70 in Breckenridge

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!