“not as advertised”
Review of The Wayside Inn

The Wayside Inn
Reviewed 3 January 2013

stuck here for 4 nights between christmas and new years. may have new furniture but not remodeled. paint peeling, mildewed shower curtain, and old noisy heater. no bathtub just a small standup shower. not 2 minutes to town as advertised. it is a minimum of 10 minutes to downtown breckenridge from this MOTEL. apris ski snacks are leftovers from breakfast that are colder and harder than in the morning. all of the good reviews must be by family and friends. this is the cheapest place in breckenridge for a reason. you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: do not stay here if you want a good nights sleep
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We were booked for one night but decided to stay for two nights. The owners were so helpful and accommodating in helping us extend our visit. The room was spotless. The beds and bedding are wonderful - I told people "I slept at-home good!" while at the Wayside. The bathroom is small and there is just a shower - but who cares? I'm not in Breckenridge to spend time in the bathroom. There are some gaps around the doors, but again, in my mind this isn't a big deal. I live in an old house and I'm used to gaps everywhere. If it bothers you, put a towel or something down to block it. I actually used it to my advantage and put my 1/2 and 1/2 down by the door to keep it cool for my coffee the next morning! :) The front desk was always manned and in fact, they were actually there later than advertised! Everyone was so friendly. Finally, dear OB - the darling resident doggie. OB is the most docile and friendly dog this side of the ole Mississip. I appreciated the charm of having him around (missing my dogs!) - he would always greet us upon our return to the motel and definitely brings the guests together.

I absolutely love the main lodge and the huge fireplace - a nice way to warm up! Comfy couches, a stack of games in the corner, and friendly people make it an inviting place to be. The spiced cider in the lobby is a treat. I also like the way they have various sundry items and food items for sale if you need them. The breakfast in the morning is good - and the coffee is actually percolated! We will definitely be back to The Wayside Inn!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night & found the staff friendly and the room clean. It's been recently updated, with great big flat screens and tons of cable channels.

The beds were comfy, and the heaters (which were a little scary looking) definitely kept the room as warm as we needed. Bathroom was a little cramped, and the door didn't shut without locking it (annoying). That front door is the only complaint, thank goodness for the monster heater because there was at least 1/2 inch gap between the door and the floor.

Otherwise a great stay and excellent price for being so close to Breckenridge. Bus stop is only a short walk, so the access to the slopes & town really made it a great deal.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Upon seeing the Wayside Inn, we almost turned around. Initial impression was minimal, but we decided to check it our regardless.

Management was great and their pup, OB, was very friendly. Rooms were quaint and cozy, beds comfortable and clean. Breakfast was simple and filling while the location is convenient and close to downtown. The hot tub was an added plus, as were the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets.

We loved it and we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kait A
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The unpleasant experience began when I was unable to contact the front desk for 9+ hours. That night I arrived to have one of the managers explain "have you ever heard of shoulder season?" and that if I wasn't there soon that she was going to bed. Upon check-in I was spoken to with a rude condescending undertone. I was informed that they had the right to kick me out anytime ( FIVE TIMES )... I paid in-full (cash) which clearly was a mistake and proceeded to my room where I found my room temperature to be 55 degrees. I assumed that this was due to my thermostat being set at its lowest position. I later found that it was simply due to the fact that the heater wasn't functional. I also found that I had developed a rash from touching something in the room (I assume it was the dirty sheets?). When I spoke to the other manager the next day to explain that there wasn't any heat and that I had to sleep in thermals and a mummy sleeping bag and to mention the weird rash I had developed he became borderline psychotic, telling me that I was whining and that he new I was going to be trouble and that he wanted me out of the unit right away. He then told me not to say another word and told me he was going to give me a $15 discount from the $65 nightly rate for the heat incident. I feel that this was honestly the most unprofessional customer service I have ever experienced "ever"! I was so shocked at the way this man spoke to me that I will be submitting a formal complaint to the proper authorities of the city of Breckenridge later this month.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank IVISIT1
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Staff was VERY friendly, Dog friendly. Nice fireplace and front office. Beds very comfy. Rooms old and small (could use updating) but if you just need a place to stay, it is a great value for the location!! No breakfast but coffee in the lobby

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here on Labor Day weekend 2012 for 2 nights. They were charging $95/night for a room with 2 full beds, but we booked the room for $71/night online. In my opinion, the room was worth no more than $40/night, and that could still be considered a generous price. You can't even justify the price by pointing out that it's in Breckenridge, because it was still a few miles from town. Here are the the basic things I would expect from a low-end hotel (maybe a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn) that this hotel lacked: a phone in the room, a bar of soap, a tub (there was only a tiny shower), heat/AC controls in each room, a couple of plastic cups, a peek hole on the door, a chain on the door, some sort of information booklet about the hotel in each room, the ability to park directly in front of my room (you had to parallel park along the property), a working lock on the bathroom door, and a tight seal between the floor and the door. Here are are additional things I would expect at a similarly priced hotel (in the $85 $110/night range): a key card, a small bottle of shampoo and lotion, a microwave, a fridge, a coffee maker, a continental breakfast, and blinds on the window (not just a small curtain). I am not expecting the Hilton here, just some standard items for the price I paid. The gap under our door let in spiders and cold air. We told the manager, and she told us she would spray for the spiders (I had a dog and a small child with me, so no...and the problem was the gap...) or she would give me an old towel to put in front of the gap! Then she made excuses that the building is old and shifts. She let me check out another room ,but it still had a huge gap under the door, and the door didn't close at all until we turned the deadbolt. She did not turn on any heat at night, so my husband and I froze and fought over the down blanket the hotel provided (nice, but I would rather have had some heat). There was no fan in the room to drown out noise (except the bathroom fan, which sounded like a train), and you can hear EVERY conversation in other rooms. People walking above you sound like elephants. I asked her for a fan since I could not sleep, and she did provide that. Also, some people might like the owners' golden retriever walking around the property, but I think it's a terrible idea even though I love dogs. Some guests might be afraid of dogs, and the dog was following our dog around during his walk. The only positive things I can say are that the beds are fairly comfortable and there was a nice flat-screen TV.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Breckenridge
The Village Hotel
#47 of 69 in Breckenridge
Tyra Lookout Condominiums
Tyra Lookout Condominiums
#45 of 69 in Breckenridge

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!