“Great place for skiiers looking for a value stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wayside Inn

The Wayside Inn
“Great place for skiiers looking for a value stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

Tom, the owner, is a great guy and takes care of his people. The rooms are serviceable, nothing you would want to spend a lot of time in but great for a place to stay when you are on a budget. The morning breakfast is fabulous!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

The Wayside had very clean rooms, super friendly and helpful owners/management, and a decent continental pre-ski breakfast in front of a real fire (a rarity in Summit County). It is an older, basic motel, not a fancy hotel. Very few frills, for instance they don't give out shampoo, but the linens are very clean, the TVs are big... better than many similarly aged motels I have stayed in. Definitely need a car to get to mountain and town, but overall a good way to do Breck on a budget. Only complaint is that the door was so drafty that it was caked with ice on the inside in the below zero weather. We stopped up the drafts with extra towels! Good thing the towels were lovely and thik!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Mesquite, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

stuck here for 4 nights between christmas and new years. may have new furniture but not remodeled. paint peeling, mildewed shower curtain, and old noisy heater. no bathtub just a small standup shower. not 2 minutes to town as advertised. it is a minimum of 10 minutes to downtown breckenridge from this MOTEL. apris ski snacks are leftovers from breakfast that are colder and harder than in the morning. all of the good reviews must be by family and friends. this is the cheapest place in breckenridge for a reason. you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: do not stay here if you want a good nights sleep
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Breckenridge hotels

Colorado Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We were booked for one night but decided to stay for two nights. The owners were so helpful and accommodating in helping us extend our visit. The room was spotless. The beds and bedding are wonderful - I told people "I slept at-home good!" while at the Wayside. The bathroom is small and there is just a shower - but who cares? I'm not in Breckenridge to spend time in the bathroom. There are some gaps around the doors, but again, in my mind this isn't a big deal. I live in an old house and I'm used to gaps everywhere. If it bothers you, put a towel or something down to block it. I actually used it to my advantage and put my 1/2 and 1/2 down by the door to keep it cool for my coffee the next morning! :) The front desk was always manned and in fact, they were actually there later than advertised! Everyone was so friendly. Finally, dear OB - the darling resident doggie. OB is the most docile and friendly dog this side of the ole Mississip. I appreciated the charm of having him around (missing my dogs!) - he would always greet us upon our return to the motel and definitely brings the guests together.

I absolutely love the main lodge and the huge fireplace - a nice way to warm up! Comfy couches, a stack of games in the corner, and friendly people make it an inviting place to be. The spiced cider in the lobby is a treat. I also like the way they have various sundry items and food items for sale if you need them. The breakfast in the morning is good - and the coffee is actually percolated! We will definitely be back to The Wayside Inn!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Breckenridge, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night & found the staff friendly and the room clean. It's been recently updated, with great big flat screens and tons of cable channels.

The beds were comfy, and the heaters (which were a little scary looking) definitely kept the room as warm as we needed. Bathroom was a little cramped, and the door didn't shut without locking it (annoying). That front door is the only complaint, thank goodness for the monster heater because there was at least 1/2 inch gap between the door and the floor.

Otherwise a great stay and excellent price for being so close to Breckenridge. Bus stop is only a short walk, so the access to the slopes & town really made it a great deal.

• Stayed December 2012
Highlands ranch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Upon seeing the Wayside Inn, we almost turned around. Initial impression was minimal, but we decided to check it our regardless.

Management was great and their pup, OB, was very friendly. Rooms were quaint and cozy, beds comfortable and clean. Breakfast was simple and filling while the location is convenient and close to downtown. The hot tub was an added plus, as were the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets.

We loved it and we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kait A
Breckenridge, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

The unpleasant experience began when I was unable to contact the front desk for 9+ hours. That night I arrived to have one of the managers explain "have you ever heard of shoulder season?" and that if I wasn't there soon that she was going to bed. Upon check-in I was spoken to with a rude condescending undertone. I was informed that they had the right to kick me out anytime ( FIVE TIMES )... I paid in-full (cash) which clearly was a mistake and proceeded to my room where I found my room temperature to be 55 degrees. I assumed that this was due to my thermostat being set at its lowest position. I later found that it was simply due to the fact that the heater wasn't functional. I also found that I had developed a rash from touching something in the room (I assume it was the dirty sheets?). When I spoke to the other manager the next day to explain that there wasn't any heat and that I had to sleep in thermals and a mummy sleeping bag and to mention the weird rash I had developed he became borderline psychotic, telling me that I was whining and that he new I was going to be trouble and that he wanted me out of the unit right away. He then told me not to say another word and told me he was going to give me a $15 discount from the $65 nightly rate for the heat incident. I feel that this was honestly the most unprofessional customer service I have ever experienced "ever"! I was so shocked at the way this man spoke to me that I will be submitting a formal complaint to the proper authorities of the city of Breckenridge later this month.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank IVISIT1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Breckenridge
Skiway Lodge
#7 of 21 in Frisco
The Bivvi Hostel
The Bivvi Hostel
#1 of 70 in Breckenridge

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!