“Nice place, but disappointed!”

Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
Reviewed 3 March 2008

We chose our first family vacation to be a ski vacation in Breckenridge. We found the Valdoro after lots of looking and calling other places. It seemed to be a great deal for the price. They were running a special and we paid much less than we would have at other condos. There was a time share presentation that we had to sit through, but there really was no pressure from our salesperson. Her name was Kim and she ended up being really great. Our stay started out from the beginning very badly. We got to Breckenridge early because there was a bad weather advisory that had been posted and we didn't want to get stuck somewhere. We checked in at the designated location (not the lodge) and were told we were too early and they did not have names for the day. The woman there gave me the direct phone number to the Valdoro and instructed me to call them and leave my cell phone number and the Valdoro could call when our room was ready. We drove around town a little and figured our where our kids ski schools were going to be and then at about 11:20am I called the Valdoro. I spoke with Janet. She had a very nasty attitude and was rude. She acted very 'put out' by my calling and asking to leave my number....she did not offer to take my number.......did I mention I had driven from Texas and had been in the car with my 2 kids and husband for 3 days.....LOL. We went and ate lunch and then returned. We decided it would be best if my husband checked us in because it would not have been good if Janet was at the desk if I would have gone in. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and when my husband told him about my conversation with Janet, he upgraded us to a 2 bed/2 ba.

The unit itself was clean and was nicely furnished. There were 2 nice sized bathrooms with a jacuzzi tub in the master. Granite countertops in the kitchen and plenty of space to prepare meals. The stackable washer/dryer got lots of use. The beds were very comfy with down pillows and comforters. I have a pet peave about finding hair in the bath tubs....don't ask.....and I found hair in both tubs. I don't care if it was from the maid or not, it is just something that bothers me. There was a gas fireplace that kept the living area nice and cozy. We ended up in unit #120.....at the very end of the hallway. Easy access to the garage and the hill that the kids were sledding down. That was very convenient.

There was a broken curtain rod with the curtain still hanging from it in the Master bedroom. We called the front desk immediately upon noticing it......you saw it every time you walked in the bedroom. We were assured that someone would be there the next day (Monday) to fix it. No one ever showed up. I called again on Tuesday and when we left on Friday, it had not been fixed.

You are also supposed to call the front desk to advise then if you have trash and then put it outside the front door. The first time I called about my trash, it sat outside my front door for over 5hrs before someone came and removed it..........and only after my second call to the front desk. And speaking of trash, every time you pulled into the property to pull into the garage, we got to look at 4 dumptsters. I wondered if they did not have a better place to store them. Our unit also overlooked the lovely eyesore dumpsters, so needless to say I was not pleased.

We were also supposed to get a mid-week cleaning. We never did. We ran out of toilet paper and paper towels and this also meant that our sheets never got changed. They charged if you wanted to exchange your towels, otherwise you washed them in the washer and dryer provided. They did provide dishsoap, laundry soap and toiletries at no extra charge.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Our family does not get to take many vacations out of town so any amount of money is quite a bit to us. I was disappointed in the things I mentioned above and was disappointed in the fact that it was not a ski in location as I saw in one advertisement. They do have great shuttle drivers that will take you anywhere and pick you up. They are also friendly and knowledgeable about just about anything to do with Breckenridge. Kudos to Nathan at the concierge desk. He was VERY helpful and didn't just give you brochures.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 December 2007

My husband and I joined his family for a week at the Valdoro Lodge just before Christmas last year. They have a time-share there every other year the week before Christmas, but this was my first time joining them. It was the perfect place for us! His family occupied a 2 bedroom condo and my husband and I had our own 1 bedroom condo with a beautiful kitchen and living area including a pretty gas fireplace. The accomodations were really excellent...everything was very tastefully designed and the staff was friendly and helpful. We took the shuttle to the slopes almost every day and enjoyed the outdoor hot tubs after a long day of skiing. During our stay there was a major snowstorm that transformed the entire area into a winter wonderland, so exploring downtown Breckenridge was lots of fun. We also took a day trip to Vail, where the guys hit the slopes and the ladies (my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and myself) hit the shops. It was the perfect place to gather for our pre-Christmas celebration together!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank ilovemaine
Reviewed 19 September 2007

The Valdoro Mountain Lodge is located between the Breckenridge village and the mountain (slopes). Our two bedroom plus had a balcony, complete with a large size grill and Jacuzzi tub, which was THE place to be after a day of down hill skiing. One of the most used amenity was the humidifier, which made us feel comfortable, even tough the rare oxygen level got us really hard on the first 24 hours. I would suggest flying over to Denver, overnight and drive up to Breckenridge on the next day. Go Have Fun!! Ciao.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled with friends
3  Thank rafacalfa
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Mr. Flippitti and I just returned from a week in Valdoro. It was absolutely one of the best, most relaxing vacations we've had in a long long time.

We rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. We requested a specific room and were delighted to get the room we wanted. Check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk ladies were very helpful and friendly throughout our stay.

Our unit was spacious and very clean. Since it was just the two of us, we used the 2nd bedroom as a dressing area. The 2nd bedroom has 2 twin beds in it. It also had a better, well-lighted closet. The master suite had a king bed, and the bath had a separate shower and jacuzzi tub. And of course, all the rooms had a tv. A balcony with chairs and a table is off the living room.

There's a large open kitchen with full-size appliances and a dining table that seats 6. The unit also has all the dishes, pots, pans, utensils and dish washing detergent that you'll need. Adjacent to the kitchen is a small closet where a stacked washer/dryer unit was located. Valdoro provides laundry soap and dryer sheets to do at least one load.

The lodge doesn't have a restaurant. It's a 10-15 minute walk to Main Street where you won't have problems finding something to eat. We also picked up groceries at the City Market nearby. If you don't have a car, the lodge has shuttle service to drop off and pick up. We used it a couple times to take us to a restaurant when we didn't feel like driving or walking. Unlike the winter season, there isn't a regular shuttle schedule in the summer but we never had any trouble scheduling it when needed.

There's a nice size gym on the ground floor. The spa and hot tubs are also on the ground floor. Adirondack chairs are placed on the front deck to sit and relax and take in the view. A small gift shop is located in the lobby where you can pick up small toiletries, souveniers, snacks and drinks and the paper in the morning.

The parking garage is underground and in the winter, it's heated.

There's no air conditioning but we kept our windows open all the time and the balcony door was also open when we were in the unit. The mountain air is perfect for a good night's sleep. The weather in August was just gorgeous and for us, the temperatures were nearly perfect.

This isn't our first visit and it won't be our last. We love the location and the service we've received from Valdoro and highly recommend it for anyone going to Breckenridge.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MollyMick
Reviewed 8 July 2007

What a major disappointment! I chose this hotel because of the wonderful reviews. The Valdoro had a special that allowed us to stay there for $599 for 5 nights as long as we listened to a 90 minute sales presentation. I explained to the reservation agent that the view was very important to me and I was worried that this deal was going to be a scam and we were going to be stuck with a bad hotel room. She assured me that although they couldn't guarantee what room I was going to get, all the views were good because the lodge was located at the base of Peak 9. Our room was decent inside (plain but clean) but the view was horrible. We had a balcony overlooking dilapitated run down buildings with paint scraped off of them and a big garbage dumpster in front. I immediately asked Michele at the front desk to switch us. She was very unaccomodating and kept on asking who told me I'd have the view, instead of apologizing or trying to change our room. She told me they were filled at 100% capacity and there was nothing that could be done. I asked wheher something would open up within the 5 nights we were staying there and she said no and told me to leave a message for the gen. manager. I left the message and he never go;t back to me. The next day a room opened up across from us with a view. When I asked to switch, the front desk told me there was no note from anyone to change our room and it was too late because they wouldn't be able to get our room ready in time for the next guest. At that point I decided to stop forcing the issue and enjoy my trip but I would never stay here again. I also told them that they came highly recommended from trip advisor and I was inclined to write a bad review based on our experience. They obviously didn't care. The only good part of the whole experience was the sales representative who presented the 90 minute pitch (Daniel). When we told him we weren't interested in purchasing the Hilton shared ownership vacation package, he accepted it and didn't push at all.

Stayed: July 2007
14  Thank danaFlorida
Reviewed 1 July 2007

My family stayed here from June 23-June30th. We loved it! The staff goes out of their way to help you. Jamie the Conceirge is the best. We rented a car and rode around everywhere we could. The humidifiers they supply come in use every night. The best shrimp is at Bubba Gumps. The best mexican food is in Frisco at Carlos Miguels. Peak 8 is a blast for everyone of all ages. Fishing is really good. The grocery stores are well stocked. And if you want to go Gold Panning the most fun place is Country Boy Mines. My son and husband found some gold flakes. Whatever your likes Breckenridge has it for you. Shopping is fun, although some prices are very high. Be sure to drink plenty of water and use sunscreen. And a light jacket is recommended and a hat. Just go and have FUN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank cheallefromtexas
Reviewed 20 May 2007

We spent the week of May 5-12 at the Valdoro in Breckenridge.
The Valdoro is in a great location for walking in town. We
could walk to all the restaurants and the resort also offers
a free shuttle service around town. We used the shuttle service
one night when I was feeling the altitude. We had a condo
on the third floor and had a nice view from our balcony. We enjoyed watching the fox play in the woods. The staff was very
friendly and very helpful. We loved the parking garage-it
was easy to get in and out and we felt very safe leaving our
car. Our only complaint was the people above us had small
children who liked the run around early in the morning and
at night, but I certainly remember the days of young children and
could understand.