“Utterly the worst experience in Breck, ever”
Review of Starlight Dinner

Starlight Dinner
Ranked #113 of 160 Restaurants in Breckenridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Get whisked away by sled to the top of Breckenridge mountain where the best Colorado cuisine awaits you. Enjoy a warm, cozy atmosphere at TenMile Station - far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The prix fixe menu highlights the best food Breckenridge has to offer and has something for every palate and tastebud. Enjoy live entertainment and music every weekend.
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We had reservations at 7:30 for 6 on Christmas Eve. Our family had looked forward to this our entire trip. We were told to arrive at least 5 minutes early as the "sleigh" would leave promptly at 7:30. By 7:45, we and several other parties asked why we were delayed- we were told they were waiting for another party. Immediately after several parties questioned this, we were told the sleigh was leaving. No explanation was given. The ride up was fine. We entered 10 Mile and it was well decorated- that was the last good moment we would have.

We were seated, and then waited 20 minutes while a severely understaffed group of servers ran back and forth to the kitchen. We had nothing but water. The manager walked by, and asked if we had been served- we said no. A waiter finally arrived, harried and working too many tables. He took a drink order, two bottles of wine, and we requested bread. Ten more minutes later we received 6 stale bread sticks, a tiny sampler of butter and oil, and no wine. We flagged down our waiter, and he apologized, ran back and came out with the wine. The white was room temp, just like the red. We had now been at the "restaurant" 45 minutes, and had received stale bread, badly handled wine, and not ordered.

The next two hours were a joke. A terrible one. Our first course came out, followed 30 seconds later by the second. We told the server we'd like a few minutes to eat our soup and salad; she took the second course back, and it sat for another 30 minutes before we flagged a server, questioned where it was, and the exact same plates were brought out. Awful. Crab that tasted like bread crumbs, and a "Game Plate" that was cheese cubes from a supermarket bag of cheese, crackers, blue cheese sprinkles and unidentifiable slices of game that were again straight out of a supermarket cooler.

Then the fun really started. We had ordered our main courses after being at the restaurant for 40 minutes. We were now at 1.5 hours, and no sign of the plates. We asked our waiter- "Soon". I asked the manager - "Sorry for the delay". And we kept waiting. Finally, at the 2.5 hour mark, our meals arrived. They were truly the worst garbage we have ever been served that was masquerading as "fine dining". The night prior we had eaten at Hearthstone in town- go there!!! This swill was inedible. Rainbow trout- stone cold. Not even room temp. Venison- raw. Uncooked to the bone, cold, and surrounded by blood, in which the cold vegetables swam. And my beef loin was equally awful- medium had somehow been presented as bloody, uncooked, cold, tough and dreadful overall. I approached the manager, again, and told her we had now wasted 3 hours of Christmas Eve to be served road kill. We showed her the deplorable food, and she looked suitably upset and promised to look into this. She then disappeared for 20 minutes while this garbage sat in front of us. Having had enough, starving, tired, and just wanting to leave, I found her, told her we wanted a sleigh ride back, now, and refused to pay for the meals. I said I would pay for the lousy wine, and nothing else. She comped the wine, apologized again, and said they were "overwhelmed by the number of people".

Given reservations were required, they knew exactly how many people they would have, and since it was a prix fixe menu, this should have been a simple operation. However, it is clearly run by incompetent people with no experience in fine dining- these people were used to on mountain cafeteria, burgers and fries in warming trays. This was way out of their league. They even had live music, who left at 9 (???) and knew exactly two Christmas songs- for a Christmas themed event. Instead we got 70's dark music- not exactly in keeping with the theme.

We tipped our waiter, as he was just stuck in a horrible system, and he had this to say as we left- "I am quitting. This is awful, and I won't miss Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my wife to be a part of this crap". Well said on his part.

The cherry on the crap sundae that was the Starlight Dinner is that three of my sons and myself now have food poisoning on Christmas Day. I have had better experiences with medical procedures. Avoid this poorly run garbage hole at all costs! There are many good choices in town where you will get good food, service, value and not lose your vacation to....well, you figure it out.

5  Thank jpsfl1

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Sleigh left 1/2 hour late, got there and service was almost non existent. Had to flag down or find someone to fill water. Soup was cold, appetizer took 25 min to be served after soup/salad cleared. Ravioli was rubber. Had to order coffee 3 times for one of our party and finally came after dessert was finished. Had to wait another 1/2 hour for sleigh to arrive to take us back. Overall the dinner took from 6 pm to 10:30 pm. Was not worth $15 much less than the $85 per person they charged! I have been coming to Breckenridge for 15 years, worst dinning experience I ever had here.
- Tom

3  Thank Baddining123
Reviewed 23 March 2013

While we had high hopes for this dinner, it was very disappointing, especially given the hefty price tag. This was the most expensive dinner we had in Breckenridge during our week long stay. It was easily the worst meal we had. Upon arrival, we were given our drink and dinner menus. Two members of our party wanted to order beer. The restaurant was out of all beers except Michelob and Coors products. While this was a four course meal, the pace was fast and furious. Plates were cleared and the next course was immediately served. Many menu items were not plated as advertised on the menu...chicken breast was not stuffed, instead its stuffing arrived on an the side of another entree. Almond slivers were substituted for candied walnuts. Plain vanilla ice cream was served instead of chipotle vanilla. Venison served well done instead of medium as requested. Server addressed the men in our party as "Bud" all evening. Total per couple including tip was $209. Ridiculously overpriced for the service and food quality. Go to Embers instead.

2  Thank Janelle B
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a fun experience that we would recommend - with a couple of suggestions. You start with a 'sleigh' ride up the mountain to Ten Mile Station. It's about a 9 minute ride in an open 'sleigh' pulled by a snow-cat - the sleigh seats about 25 people. The view of Breck is beautiful as you head up the mountain and they provide blankets - be sure to dress warmly. The staff on the way up was professional and courteous and made us feel right at home. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and given a place to store our jackets etc. Heading upstairs we found that Ten Mile Station was transformed into a warm and upper-scale dining experience. We've eaten at the station many times for lunch and our hats are off as it really was a nice setting for dinner. Drapes hung, candles on the table and even the bathroom was transformed. Pretty impressive. The servers were friendly and the menu had some nice options for our four course meal; appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. Now... there are some areas that need work. We were with a group and while some had really good food - my filet was outstanding - some had sub-par experiences; luke warm food, tough meat and not a lot of flavor on some entrees. The wines. Well... The list was not extensive although there were a couple of nice selections. However, it was clear that the wines had not been properly stored and had been exposed to heat. The reds were served at room temperature (maybe even slightly warm) and one of the bottles was bad, the second was on it's way out. It was an indicator that this was not an experience for wine-geeks as they "didn't have a button on the register" for one of the wines we ordered.. hmm. The saving grace was our server as he went out of his way to make everything right and that was really appreciated. My suggestion here is to get rid of all the wine bottles in storage - throw them out - and get a wine cooler to properly store wines and get new bottles. Updating the selections on the wine menu would be in order as well. All in all it was a fun experience - the ride up, the makeover of the station and the wait staff made this a winner. Fix the food and wine issues and I think this would be a great evening for anyone.

2  Thank Jaycin
Reviewed 25 January 2013

First of all, I have to say sorry for my English, please forbid my grammar or spelling mistakes (I am not native English Speaker) . I moved recently to the county from Europe. I am not a usual writer of reviews but I end up that much surprise with this experience that I felt the need of writing and sharing about it. I went with my girlfriend on a Friday night, we were celebrating our anniversary and I decided to surprise my girlfriend. We got a clear sky, not very cold, sleigh ride we loved it, we got a great view of the stars, and fortunately as we said we were there on a night that wasn't too cold. We were a little bit concern about that before going, but with the proper clothes and the weather accompaning us, was a very pleasant experience to get there at the restaurant. (nice talk by the way with the guide that was with us in the slide). In the restaurant everything perfect. I can not say anything that I could improve. Regarding to the food, my favorite was the trout and the Filet of Beef. Great Cranberry wild rice too. The price-quality balance was really good. No surprises, nice service, nice food, nice company (Thank you baby!!). I hope my experience have helped you, from now on I am sure I am going to write here more frecuently. Byeeee

8  Thank Eugenio P