“Best in Breck”

The Bivvi Hostel
Denver, Colorado
“Best in Breck”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

By far the best value in Breckenridge! Super cozy, delicious breakfast spread, and a short walk or free ride on the shuttle into town. All the little extras make this place really special: individual reading lamps in the bunk rooms, down comforters, tasty beer and updated decor. Everyone is super friendly as well!

Room Tip: The bunk rooms are a great value!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Cozy and kind getaway...felt right at home and had everything at our fingertips! Felt like a SIX star hotel with a friendly and neighborly feel! Breakfast is delicious, hot tub is hot, and snowshoeing is across the street. This place makes me want to plan more vacations.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank doobescarpenter
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I'm not one to write reviews but........If you're looking for "The" hidden gem of Breck this is it. I showed up later in the evening and checked in. Both owners greeted me in the huge and beautiful main room, offered me a brew and then gave me the tour. These guys are super down to earth and friendly. I was truly amazed at how well kept and comfy the Bivvi is. Rooms are spotless, and look as they were new. You can sense the pride of ownership in everything here. The next morning breakfast was a delicious full buffet and included in the lodging. If you are coming to Breck I can't recommend staying here enough.

Room Tip: If you come as a group check out the bunk rooms, as a couple the privates are perfect.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert S
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Upon booking (after Thanksgiving) for a NYE week long trip to Breck I was amazing at the price being that it was so close to our travel dates, Worthy was more than accommodating over the phone with my booking. My boyfriend was truly shocked when we arrived as it was his first time at a Hostel. I was very impressed with the customer service and family friendly atmosphere from the staff. We began every day with nice walk to Peak 9 main lift and ended it with beer and wine in the hot tub on the back desk with a great view of the mountains. We had a private room and bathroom which was more than enough room for the 2 of us for the week.

All-in-All I will absolutely be staying here again!

Room Tip: beds are very comfy and well priced!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lovettsville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My son and I were on a ski trip to Breckenridge and I looked at a number of different hotels and am glad that I found the Bivvi. We stayed for two nights and not only was the room very comfortable, but the breakfast was fantastic. We had French toast the first morning before skiing. I would defiantly stay at the Bivvi again. We also liked the Bivvi's new Golden Retriever puppy Fen.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark A
St. Simons Island, GA
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I refer to Trip Advisor for all of our travels and have never been compelled to write a review. However, when something as remarkably different as The Bivvi comes along, it deserves a shout out. This place has the feel of a home and a sense of community without the stuffiness sometimes associated with a B&B type stay. Everyone gets together in the living area (decorated with an edge on the western lodge theme -- so refreshing) and enjoys a libation and conversation. Nothing like getting ideas of things to do or meet future friends like in this setting.

The rooms are a wonderful surprise with great linens and decor -- but who stays in their room when it is much more fun to meet the owners, Bond and Worthy and everyone else staying there? Bond and Worthy have obviously thought of everything and talking with them - you know they have experienced many different ups and downs in their travels. They see to every need - just ask them and they will figure out something or help in any way.

The breakfasts are delicious and with the price of the room, the ambiance and breakfast to boot - you can't go wrong. Pop out the door and you are either a short walk to the hill or take the bus - either way is super easy.

In addition--there is a little guy who just took up residence there, Fin, a Golden Retriever pup--he is full of personality too just like the owners. If you don't go for all of the above wonderful reasons, at least go to meet Fin!

Room Tip: book ahead if you want a room by yourself
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank islandbluff
Frisco, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 17 January 2014

So, I checked into the Bivvi a few days ago for one night. One of the owners checked me in who was less then personable. He seemed to be rushing my welcome along as fast as he could. As a result, when I came back to the Bivvii at 10PM that night, I could not get my 'key card' to work on the front door because there was no 'typical slide slot for the card'.

So I buzzed the door bell several times but no answer. So, I am standing out there in the 15 degree cold, walking around in the snow trying to see if there is another side entrance but of course there is not one. Then I finally just called the # I had called for them to get directions earlier that day and the same guy answered and then showed up at the front door, with the same unfriendly demeanor.

He showed me then (which he should be telling all customers when they check in) how to put the card in front of the minuscule (invisible) laser-scanner inside the door latch and of course it scanned the card and then let me in.

So I proceed to go in my room and lay down my bag, throw on some sweats… not more then 5 mins later I showed up in the lobby by the fireplace, with the vision of enjoying an ice cold beer after a long day of work. So I ring the bell and the same guy pops his head down out of the opening on the stairs. (he did not even come all the way down the stairs because I guess it was to much of an effort for him to do so)

I told him nicely "I was just hoping to get beer"? (I already had cash out of my wallet)

He replied "Oh were closed down for the evening" I replied…

"Oh I see" as I glanced over at the keg taps that were less then 5' from me and about 20 feet from him. As he simply turned his back and jetted back up the stairs to his room.

The guy that was siting on the couch looked at me with a defining look and said "That sucks" I said it sure does… Bottom line they say that they close there bar at 10 PM, I understand that is their rule. However, it was not so much that he wasn't willing to bend the rules by 5 minutes for me, as much as it was his negative energy towards me through out the process.

It's a shame because i met his partner "Worthy" the next morning, who was more then friendly…

Perhaps he might want to look for a new partner… There place and amenities, the breakfast were all 4* plus…personality wise, the other "guy" I'd give him a 2 * "Maybe"… You would think that since this is a new place for these guys, he would have been excited, and elated and happy…

All I got was bummed out, in a rush… "Your bothering me"...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Chris H
Worthy M, Owner at The Bivvi Hostel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hi Chris,
I just wanted to say that I am very sorry that Bond didn't serve you a beer after the bar had closed. We are very particular about the cleanliness of our draft system. In order to have those tasty microbrews on tap, we have to spend a lot of time making sure our system is spotless and tuned accurately. At that point in the evening, Bond had already spent 30 minutes untapping kegs, disconnecting the CO2, cleaning the faucets, cleaning spill trays, and putting the system to bed for the night. Join us during the normal hours and I will gladly serve you up a cold beer.

Additionally, I really apologize that you had troubles with the front door when coming home. The lock on the front door is the same lock that is on all of our rooms. Once someone has checked in and successfully opened and closed the door to their room multiple times, we assume that they will be able to open up the same lock on the front door if coming back in the evening. Both of us personally show each guest how to present the card in front of the lock now. We really appreciate the feedback. Have a great day.
-Worthy