“Mixed Emotions…”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
Washington, DC
“Mixed Emotions…”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed here Jan 15-18. Upon my arrival I immediately had a frown on my face. I was thinking… this ain’t good. It looked like a rustic cabin sitting high atop a mountain.

Here’s the good the bad and the ugly.

The ugly; there was none.

The Bad - When we first arrived our room was freezing! The baseboard heaters either weren’t working or they were off. The room had a space heater in it to offset the lack of heat from the baseboard. And that didn’t seem to work too well. After leaving the room for a few hours, the room was still below a level of comfort; all the front desk staff had to say was… we just had a cold snap. Really! Isn’t the cold outside?? I’m thinking they could’ve adjusted the heat some prior to our arrival (maybe that’s just me). The hot water was very slow to get warm/hot. You had to let it run for 5-10-12 minutes before you would have any. That mixed with a cold room. Yuchh. The room was very small. No place to sit other than the bed. The walls were thin. You could hear people walking in the hallways and please don’t let them be having a conversation. The TV channel selection was poor and not much to do on the property itself.

The Good – After day 2 the room did start to warm up to a decent level of comfort.
They had a workout facility that could rival a small gym. (2 thumbs up). They served morning breakfast (juices, dry cereals, breads, muffins, and waffles). They also have a micro-wave in the lobby for your convenience. They offer a shuttle that will take you ANYPLACE you wish to go. It operates from 8am to 10pm. W/O that you’re stuck because you’re atop a mountain and you surely cannot walk back and forth to town.
The location is not in town nor is it near town; it’s about a 10-14min ride. When I hear near town I should be able to walk a few blocks. With all the bad, these amenities made the place a bit more bearable.

As far as the town itself; very nice. Lot’s of eateries, shops, museums and friendly people. The skiing was awesome (my first time to Breck). If you have issues with the altitude, you may want to take a day to walk about town and drink plenty of water. The town sits at 9700ft!

Overall, The front desk staff is very friendly and the shuttle drivers are very friendly but I wouldn’t make this my first choice of places to stay when in Breck. There are many, many other lodging choices in town. Most within the same price range. I’d stay here if, I had a veh, I chose not to be anywhere near town, or in my case, I just couldn’t figure out the proximity of this lodge to town.

Let me be clear, I don’t visit places to slam them nor will I over rate them. I don’t expect Ritz treatment when I’m in a Motel 6 and surely don't expect Motel 6 treatment when in the Ritz, but all things being equal, I have a certain level of expectation based on wherever I stay.

Sorry, nice enough place but the Lodge & Spa has some work to do to earn a future stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AJazzMaster
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
The Lodge & Spa at Breckenridge is a rustic mountain lodge. We are known for our mountain charm, relaxing environment, quality guest service and spectacular mountain views! In January, Breckenridge experience above normal cold temperatures; where during the evenings it dropped to -20 degrees below. We had a few rooms with issues and did everything we could to accommodate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This property has arguably the best view on their block - no, seriously.

I booked a trip here with my boyfriend in early January and scored a Forest View King for just $68/night. The staff is genuinely friendly and very helpful in suggesting places for you to go for dinner or entertainment.

If you're looking to hit up Breckenridge for skiing or snowboarding, it's good to know that this lodge has complimentary shuttle service for its guests and will drop you at any lot. Although you may have to call ahead to the front desk if you're staying a little out of their peak season - it's free and you really can't complain!

The view from their deck is incredible! They have complimentary hot-tubs which are great in any weather and their positioned on the deck so that the guests have a gorgeous view to take in while relaxing in the hot and bubbly water. I'd love to come stay here again in summer to see how the view changes with the seasons.

Pros: Complimentary wi-fi, complimentary shuttle, complimentary breakfast, location, views, staff is ultra-friendly, and price.

Cons: Don't really have any other than their room keys, which are actual keys - not the key-cards you swipe. The only downside is if you're a scatterbrain like me, the lost fee key is $30. But hey, if I could make it without losing it - so can you! :)

Room Tip: I'm convinced that there's not a bad room in the entire place. Every view I've experienc...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexandra_keller
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a full representation of our hotel!

Our shuttle service only runs during the winter season. Call us directly to enusre the best room for your needs!
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Oh if I could purchase this property and run a REAL hotel on its grounds. Having both lived in and visited Breckenridge over the last 20 years, cannot say how disappointed I am at its decline. To put it simply..some of the greatest views in Colorado..and that's all that is left. Front desk staff was fine. Room? $260 a night for water stained ceilings, cob webbed corners, pilled sheets and a bathroom with hair stick to the walls? No thank you. Truly unfortunate. This place used to be a wonderful retreat. Not worth the cash, even it's the only place with zero vacancy. There's a reason. You'll have better accommodations in the Super Eight back in the valley...at half the price.

• Stayed January 2013
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
We have reached out to this guest to get some more feedback to ensure complete guest satisfaction for every guest that stays with us! We have very high standards and our top goal is to make sure that no one experiences such.
Thanks, Rhonda
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We haven't left yet and are still enjoying our stay - but wanted to commend their excellent spa staff. My husband and I received a couples' massage yesterday with Ashley and Juliana. They have definitely raised the bar on our massage experiences and future expectations :) - the service was wonderful and they were both so pleasant and professional - also glad they suggested the oxygen - a perfect addition. Can't wait to come back again :)

Room Tip: This was specific to the spa experience - we will add another review at the conclusion of our stay...
Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for your recent comment on your spa services. This really helps us confirm that we have some of the best massage therapists! I typically get a massage here before I head out on my vacations. We hope you are enjoying your stay with us and we look forward to your review on The Lodge. Please let us know if there is anything we can do ensure a wonderful rest of your stay with us!
Sincerely, Rhonda
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

The staff was super friendly. They have free shuttle service into Breck that runs until 10pm. Continental breakfast was very nice. Got a little noisy from guests outside our room but they can't control that. My husband was feeling altitude sickness and the shuttle driver offered to go into town to get whatever we needed. My only warning....your gps will try to tell you to turn on overlook dr to get to the hotel, but you actually drive past overlook and you will see signs for the hotel. Drive straight up that driveway and it takes you right there.

• Stayed January 2013
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
The Lodge offers a complimentary shuttle service to town and ski slope during the winter season only. It runs from 8am – 10pm and on the weekend’s extends till midnight. We do recommend that you follow our driving directions, as this guest is correct in the fact that the first right turn on Overlook Dr is a “Drive at your own risk road”, pass by that first right turn on Overlook and take the 2nd right turn on Overlook Drive where you see our Sign. Also, GPS might lead you to take Hummingbird Drive, we recommend that you do not take that road and stay on Boreas Pass till you see our sign.
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The lodge is a nice alternative to standard motel rooms. It could use some TLC such as new carpeting and paint, but such things did not detract in my opinion from the "lodge" feel. The front desk clerk was extremely friendly, as was the driver of the free shuttle to town. The room was very large and spacious with lodge type furnishings, nothing fancy. Beds were comfortable enough, and the bathroom was very spacious as well. Plenty of hot water. I was not hot at all in the room, although the hallways were always overly warm. The continental breakfast was sufficient, and the views from the dining area were spectacular. The weight/exercise room was outstanding. Many pieces of equipment you would find at a gym. This place is a diamond in the rough!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. The Lodge is continuously making improvements to the overall look of the hotel.
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This is more of a rustic no frills lodge than a "spa". It's neither a spa nor a resort. It's a quiet lodge about a mile outside of Breckenridge perched high in the hills. The views are spectacular. The lodge itself is older and basic. The dining area seems abandoned with a bar area that is cleared out and probably only used for special events. The breakfast bar gets a C-. However, if you're looking for a quiet lodge with a nice main area to hang out and read, look at the mountains and just relax, this is your place. The staff is nice and the shuttle will ferry you around like your own personal taxi. The price was great, too. A good value. If you want luxury, this is not your place, but the price reflects that.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richard_lozano
Rooroo1, General Manager at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!
We are a small rustic mountain lodge, that sites above the town of Breckenridge, known for our spectacular views of Breckenridge Ski Resort, Baldy Mountain and the Rocky Mountain Range. We off a complimentary continental breakfast that is inclueded in the lodging rate (we are the only hotel in Breckenridge that offers any type of complimentary breakfast included in lodging rate). We offer our complimentary shuttle service to town and ski slopes during the winter season only.
Thanks, Rhonda