“Nice park, also a birds of prey sanctuary.”

Barr Lake State Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Brighton
More attraction details
Owner description: A premier Colorado spot for birdwatching.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The park is really nice to visit, but do so in the fall where your days are still comfortable with a light jacket, because the wasps are terrible. They have nests in every wind break where the picnic tables are, and swarm around the tables, not as bad, the picnic tables out in the open, but the wasps still swarm around them too. We had our picnic on our picnic blanket in the bed of my truck.

1  Thank granna08

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Not far off of I-76, Barr Lake State Park is a nice trek to get away from the road for a while. The roads are all paved, there are great parking lots for both cars and RVs. There is no camping at the lake itself, but there is an RV park close-by. There are shelters you can get into to see the birds better. It is a fun place to visit year 'round!

1  Thank Telkbear
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Not to far outside of Denver about 20 minutes. Great path by the lake saw 2 deer as we walked the easy .25 mile loop. Saw a Bald Eagle and several red tailed hawks. It is a lake with not a lot of shade and no boating. Bring bug spray the mosquito's are pretty bad but a great way to spend the morning.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I've only been to Barr Lake State Park twice but I enjoyed my time there. It is tucked away from town and has a nice quiet feel about it. It has a lot of nature trails and bridges to explore as well as it looks like a great place to picnic and fish. I saw deer there last time I visited. I saw someone complained about bugs there but hello! We're in nature! You're going to find bugs at places like these! Especially when there's water nearby. Just make sure you pack your bug spray. I'm sure the bugs are part of the reason the bird population is so healthy there! I think it's worth visiting and I would like to go fishing there in the future.

1  Thank kaliyat
Reviewed 30 April 2013

If you like birds, Barr Lake has birds, lots of them, so bring binoculars. Early morning or late afternoon are the best times to take in the park any time during the year. Trails are flat, well- marked and easy to navigate yet the park isn't commercial.
This is a nice getaway. Bring a picnic.

1  Thank Anne B