“Even Better Than Thornton's Santiago's”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Santiago's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 99 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Wow, the stuffed sopapilla was huge, the dough was stretched thin and even the seam wasn't doughy, and fried to a perfect crispness. Of course the green chili cannot be beaten, whether you like it mild, hot, or half and half. Service is fast and courteous, the food is unconditionally great. Breakfast burritos and other breakfast items are so inexpensive that it's hard to fathom how they do it! A bargain and a great eat!

1  Thank lraff1

Reviewed 30 June 2012

People from Colorado and New Mexico seem to always seem to be on a search for good green chile. If we see a sign that says Chile Verde on the side of a barn, we might just stop in to see if it is "as good as mom used to make." Santiago's is a great find! Their hot chile is spicy enough for just about anyone. The breakfast burritos with "half and half" (half hot green chile combined with half regular) are one of our favorites. Do not let the older building dissuade you on your search for good green chile! They also have a to-go counter.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

This Santiago has a place to sit and eat for dinner. It's the usual good value Santiago's meals with wonderful green chili.

Reviewed 25 April 2010

My husband and I were driving through Brighton and wanted lunch and when we drove past Santiago's it looked packed (I've always thought that was a good sign). So we gave it a try. We parked in the one spot that was left and entered the restaurant, which looks vintage 70's inside, with kind of a cafeteria feel. Again, seeing how crowded it was made me think that the food must be to die for!
We seated ourselves in a booth and looked at the menu. My favorite Mexican dish is chimichangas so right away I was a little miffed--no chimichangas on the menu. I ordered a chicken burrito (the menu said "with rice") smothered, deluxe (tomatoes, lettuce and cheese on top) and sour cream (the sour cream costs extra). My husband ordered the enchilada plate. For spiciness I ordered "half and half" because while I'm not a huge fan of spiciness, I do believe that there are certain foods (like Mexican) that don't taste right if there isn't a little bit of heat.
So our food came and instead of the chicken burrito I ordered, I was given a lukewarm beef burrito. I didn't see our server again for about five minutes, so I ate about 1/3 of the burrito. The ground beef was that really cheapo scary kind of ground beef, where it doesn't actually seem like meat. The server came back out with my chicken burrito, grabbed the plate I was eating off of, and set the new plate in front of me, nearly taking off with my fork (I had to grab it off the plate as he was leaving).
I started eating the chicken burrito and wished I had my beef burrito back. The chicken was stringy with kind of a tuna fish consistency, and there was no rice in the burrito like the menu said. The "half and half" green chile put my mouth on fire. At least this one wasn't lukewarm, it was actually hot inside.
My husband enjoyed his. He didn't really elaborate on anything.
About halfway through the meal I saw the sign that said "no debit or credit cards". Good thing we had cash on us or we would have been in trouble. We normally pay for everything with a credit card.
I don't know why this place is so popular. I wasn't impressed. I really have no reason whatsoever to return.

2  Thank Marilynn76
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 23 November 2007

It's one of those hole-in-the-wall places with great food. I love the stuffed sopapillas. Their green chile is really good and it's hot. So, definitely get the mildest one if you can't handle spicy food.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook