“I love this place!”
Review of Thunder Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Thunder Lodge
Boulder, Colorado
“I love this place!”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I have now stayed with my groups twice this year at Thunder Lodge.

The decor of the cabins is really cute & comfy, without being pretentious.

(I do suggest staying away from sleeping on the fold out couch, really NOT comfortable, but just ask for blow up air mattresses, that fixes it!)
and cabin 3's heater really rattles. With that (and gave that feedback to the owners),
these guys bent over backwards to help my folks with all kinds of special requests- Sara even interrupted her Christmas dinner with her kids to come to the phone to answer my questions! She really deserves a raise-
she's a great spokeswoman for the lodge and her and her hubbie were uber helpful. (he even got up at 1 in the morning to help out one of my guests.....THIS is excellent customer service. The owner and I had a very good laugh together- she's a lot of fun..

The place is really cute, charming, quiet (except for our 20something cabin neighbors) & very affordable.
Even with 'the rules' posted, (at these prices I have no problem washing my own dishes - and I was cooking for 12 people!) We were there for Thanksgiving and New Years.

I found the proprietors very flexible, openhearted and welcoming. The location is just right, easy to get everywhere and really pretty on the river.
I've stayed other places in the area (You know who you are, Hot Springs Owners) that over and over thru the years, are much more expensive AND unfriendly/surly AND unaccommodating with less than clean rooms/cabins!

Thanks for making my and my friends stay such a nice time. I highly recommend this place
(funny, I never heard any dogs-but the neighbors in the cabin next door must have had a mosh pit going on for new years). I def. will be back with my groups.

Room Tip: love that little cabin by the river
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank m l

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Woodland Park, Colorado
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This place has tons of potential but I'm afraid our experience here was quite disappointing. I've stayed at a lot off off-beat mom & pop type places and I much favor them over chain motels. Yes, they often have some quirky little flaws, but I've never found anything worth complaining about...until now. I'll start out with the good stuff, the location is good, the cabins are cute, and they felt clean. Now for the rest.

The first thing I noticed about the Thunder Lodge was all the in-your-face rules and threats of fines for various infractions ($50 for not taking your trash out, $50 for not washing dishes, etc). In and of itself this aspect alone wasn't really an issue, although it did make me take pause when I noticed the overflowing trash can next to the door of the owner's house (I guess they really don't like dealing with garbage). No big deal, but I mention it here simply to make the suggestion that easing down the rules would go a long ways towards making your guests feel more welcome.

The second issue we encountered was annoying but would not have caused me to submit a negative review in and of itself. The problem was that there were no sheets or pillow cases for the sofa bed - even though they knew how many people we had coming. I didn't feel that hunting down some sheets warranted use of the 'emergency bell' that you are supposed to use for help after 8pm, so we just made the bed with a couple of worn out old blankets and went with it. After reading the reviews, I realize now that this has been a problem for other folks as well. Keeping a set of clean set of sheets in the closet for the sofa bed would be a very simple fix and would really help your guests be more comfortable. Additionally, guests are instructed to wash dishes before checking out- fined if they don't. We used one dish for our dog but there wasn't soap to wash it with, so we did our best to clean it. We rinsed it after our dog tongue washed it.

What really put me over the edge and caused me to write this review was the little yipping dog that was in a small fenced-in area next to the owner’s house. When my wife made the reservation, we were told that our cabin was nice and one could hear the creek all night. However, any hope of that was squelched by this dog. It barked incessantly all night long until sunrise. My whole family was awake listening to the little guy bark his head off, hour after hour. Could the owners not hear it? I even got up once and went outside to make sure everything was okay (I admit that I may have had an ulterior motive of choking the dog to death). What irony, in this place of such rules, especially regarding pets, that this little beast was let loose with total disregard. Absolutely unacceptable.

We won't be back. Ever.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Arianne R
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had our family reunion here. Nice grassy area in the middle and the cabins are great. The downside is the constant reminder of the nickle and dime-ing done to "guests" for not following each and everyone of the seemingly endless rules and regulations. A 50$ fine for not taking out trash, one for not doing the dishes, one for not picking up pet hair, another $100 for dog poop, a $75 for not using the heater properly.... The running joke became, "I would... but I am afraid of the fines!" We also had to stalk the front desk to ask for toilet paper as there never seemed to be anyone there. If they could be a little more guest friendly, and accept that they will have to occasionally take out the garbage or turn off the heater behind a guest, it would go a long way in increasing guest comfort. I wanted to be treated like family, not a cash-cow. It isn't as if the cabins are fantastically cheap to begin with. So if you can put up with all that... a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: SOME cabins have a pull out couch but not all so be sure to check.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gypsfelia
Norfolk
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We have stayed at Thunder Lodge for years ... since our days as children visiting my grandparents through the years our children were young and now with grown children and friends. You won't find a cabin that is a better value -- just check around. Generally, cabin prices are high, and you are forced to bring your own linens and take care of yourself while you are there. At Thunder Lodge, the owners provide a clean place that is continually being updated. I have found that they over-quote the price to be paid sometimes, or they are discounting our stay every time -- I don't know which. It is one of the only pet-friendly places in Buena Vista. Located on a quiet street, but just a couple of blocks off the main highway, where you can find shopping and restaurants. This is not the place to go if you want to be pampered or have someone else clean up after you. However, if you want a cabin where you can do your own thing PLUS the added benefit of owners who are nearby to deal with your basic needs or point you in the direction of your next adventure -- this is the place.

Room Tip: You can choose a cabin near the creek, with a mountain view, or near the street. We have a dog, so...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Katherine S
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Tired of driving late in the night, decided to stop in Buenaventura Vista, thrilled that the Best Western was sold out as this was my second choice. It sounded charming and I was more than surprised! The owner was extremely nice late in the evening accepting us without reservations. We parked in front if the cabin- very convenient- and the first thing my daughter exclaimed was how comfortable the new living room furniture was. Adorably decorated. When we left, we put our bed sheets in a pile near the front door to assist them in their clean up. It's a small family business and I certainly understand why they ask their guests to remove their trash immediately.
We loved the sound of the creek outside our window. Thanks for a very enjoyable visit!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Sybille S
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2012

As a family of 5 we used Thunder Lodge as our week long base for day trips in the Buena Vista - Salida area in late July 2011. Was a bit dismayed to read the more recent reviews. At the time we visited we were very pleased. It's not the nicest place in town and the bathroom are pretty cramped, but for the price, roominess in the rest of the cabin, and convenient location we were very pleased with our stay. We'll probably be back.

Wifi worked fine for us. I did have to ask for the code though.

I don't think we paid the advertised rate, though. There was a late cancellation and we happen to check in with them right afterwards. I think we paid $99/night, which is very good for the area. We also had a small, well behaved dog.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank oktourist
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed one night in a 2-bedroom cabin because it was inexpensive and available at the last minute. However, it didn't turn out to be inexpensive due to the penalties charged--read their Policies page on their website before you book here! There was a sign posted that said to clean and put away dishes, but nothing about the trash and nothing about the $50 they charge if you don't follow all their hidden rules. It's also $50 if you don't remove all the dog hair from the furniture and the carpet; since you can only really remove hair from carpet with a vacuum, better bring one! The location is great, the cabins are fine for a rustic, inexpensive place, but they should be advertised as self-service cabins.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Thunder Lodge? Share your experiences!