“Clean, comfortable, nothing fancy”
Review of Topaz Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Topaz Lodge
Topeka, Kansas, United States
“Clean, comfortable, nothing fancy”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I spent two nights here while in the area for a backpacking trip. It was clean and comfortable, but be aware that it is a no-frills place and definitely "retro."

There was no AC in the room, but I didn't find it to be a problem, since it was not hot while I was there (in early August).

My only complaint is that I could hear the neighbors in the next room. It was not very loud, but still clearly audible, which could be a problem with noisy neighbors.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The hotel is convenient and good value for two at $79 plus tax on a weekday (I think $94 on a weekend). If you want a bed and shower and want to save your money for other activities and resturants you might want to give this motel a try. I rented one room there for my son who is a smoker (not in the room or doorway) and his wife for one night and they said it was adequate, and the bed and linens acceptable. The location is conveniently in the center of MV and within easy walking distance for food and beverage if you want to have a beer or two in the evening. I rated it above average because of the low cost and location. When I needed to book a room for a "smoker" late in the evening and there was a vacancy. The Manager kindly gave me a discount which helped ease a bad experience from initially booking a rooms for three familys in a near-by obsesively fanatical non-smoker motel. The daughter-in-law said she could smell disenfectant in the room, but this was not a major issue.

Room Tip: Room #3 was adequate and relatively quiet considering that the Motel is on Highway 24.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I think the reviewer below me is a family friend. We stayed in room 7 which is the only room facing out back. The room was large but only had one window and that was a high window with the curtains set so you couldn't open them. You didn't want the view onto a dirty, private patio anyway. The bathroom was very small. We're not picky and were just passing through so the location was good, bed seemed clean and it had a small fridge and microwave. Rate was $99.The place fit our needs and was clean enough but old. It's your grandpas Motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My friends and I have stayed at the Topaz Lodge in Buena Vista twice, and each stay has been absolutely fabulous! The rooms are clean and attractive, the beds are comfortable, the rates are extremely reasonable, and the location is right near the center of town, where the park, stores, laundry, and restaurants are all easily accessible. And the owners (Brett & Michelle) are wonderful folks who go out of their way to make your stay delightful. I would not even consider staying anywhere else in Buena Vista. I highly recommend the Topaz Lodge. It's far and away the best place to stay in the Arkansas Valley.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fred B
colorado
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Planned a trip to glenwood springs co from denver, there were 5 of us riding motorcycles and we were taking the long way up for the veiw, having left denver at about 5:30 pm on a friday, we made buena vista the stoping point, which we knew ahead of time so we had made are reservations about 2 weeks before the ride.

I'm here to say that this was the worst motel room I've ever stayed in!!! smelled like wet dogs, the sheets on the bed were cut and shaved down with sissors "have NO idea why?" the shower nozzel was stuck in a way that it only sprayed a direct line of water at you, and the ceiling in the shower was so low that water would bounce off me and hit the ceiling and drip back on to me "I'm 6'1 inch tall, definently not a basketball player!" it was disgusting!!!! and the space between the walls of the toilet was only maybe 30 inches, I'm 220 pounds, very little room for "you know what".

At the front desk they had amenitys for sale such as little bottles of mouthwash and such, the mouthwash was so old that the coloring had faded away and was clear like water! LOL!! this place was absolutly disgusting!!

the carpets were stained throughout the entire room

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank pricewize
BVMom, Owner at Topaz Lodge, responded to this review, 26 April 2010
I'm sorry you had an unpleasant stay. Regarding your shower head: Unless someone reports it to me that there's a problem I can't fix it. I shower in my home and not in the motel rooms. I'm not saying that's your fault but if you'd have let me know I would have fixed it immediately. As for the shower being too short and the potty area not being wide enough for you: I can't help what the construction was in the 50's. Our rooms are clean, carpets shampooed regularly, and pets are only allowed in certain rooms. If someone 'snuck' a wet dog into your room that is also beyond my control. It would have been nice if you had come to the office and relayed your concerns to me before you spent the night and you could have easily gone elsewhere. Seems like if everything was this "HORRIBLE" you would have been able to see it wasn't up to your standards immediately and asked to leave.

Travellers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

#3 of 3 in Buena Vista
Super 8 Buena Vista
Super 8 Buena Vista
#2 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Topaz Lodge? Share your experiences!