“Good Mexican, Decent Prices, Service Varies Due to Language”
Review of Los Girasoles

Los Girasoles
Ranked #16 of 40 Restaurants in Buena Vista
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
East Coast
“Good Mexican, Decent Prices, Service Varies Due to Language”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Recently ate at Los Girasoles twice, and it was pretty good Mexican food (which I eat often, in Mexican Food "meccas," like Texas, California etc). I would consider the food to be true Tex-Mex, with perhaps less than average grease and cheese (so Tex-Mex leaning towards New Mexican- Mex...and if you've eaten Mexican all over the country, you'll know what I mean). I enjoyed the Chile Colorado--the meat was tender and not full of gristle or fat, with a red sauce. The guacamole was a stand-out of the meal, freshly made with real avocados and spiced just right. Others in my party had Flautas and Burritos, and those looked good. The salsa is homemade and fresh, if a smidge mild for my taste, but nice and flavorful (according to someone with me, you can ask for hotter salsa). My house margarita was definitely NOT light on the liquor. I would consider the meal very good--nothing really bad, nothing truly outstanding (except maybe the guac). It appeared that several of the wait staff have limited English skills, so do keep that in mind when communicating. Also, on one visit we asked three times for the check, then finally went up to the register and simply told them what we ordered, to pay. On the next visit, the check appeared at the table, and we paid there. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where/how you pay based on my observations. Very nice outdoor, covered courtyard, btw, though it overlooks a parking lot. Overall, good place for a mexican meal, and I will definitely continue to eat there, but don't expect best-you-ever-had service or food.

• Visited July 2014

Golden, Colorado
“These people are really sneaky! Watch out!!!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Three of us stopped in at this Mexican restaurant located right across the street from Quincy's in Buena Vista. We love Quincy's and highly recommend them for great burgers and steaks. Alas they were not open for lunch that day.

Being hungry and haven driven a long way to get to Buena Vista to eat at Quincy's, we decided to try this Mexican restaurant instead. Mistake!!

After we were seated at a table inside (they have no booths), the waitress brought us chips and salsa, dropped off menus and took our drink orders. Pretty standard.

Since it was about 2:30 in the afternoon, we made our choices from the lunch menu although she had brought regular menus as well. When she came to take our orders, I picked up the lunch menu and pointed to the chimichangas and ordered that for both my wife and I. Our friend with us ordered something else.

When the food arrived, each order was on a huge round deep plate with the rice and beans completely covering the bottom. It was impressive and we talked about how we should write a great review on this place for having good sized portions.

Our shock came when we got the bill. Since the lunch menu items were about $6.75 or so a piece, we were expecting a bill around $20. When I looked at the bill, it was almost $50!!!

She had charged us $13.95 each for the $6.75 items! I called her over and asked to know what was going on. She was grinning like the Cheshire cat and innocently asked what was wrong. Her explanation was that she "misunderstood" and placed our orders from the dinner menu. When my wife said that we showed her on the lunch menu what we wanted, she said she didn't notice.

What a pickle to find oneself in! She walked away and went to the register and just started at us with that big grin on her face. We looked at the check and sure enough she had written 'dinner' at the top of the check. Now I can understand a mistake like this happening at 5:00 but not at 2:30. We had been set up!!

We had no choice but to pay the bill since we ate the food. We were not happy but she said "next time order by number" referring to the menu items.

It was pretty obvious that this was no mistake as there was never any reaction on her part that this was her fault at any time. Boy we felt like Gringos!!

The food was not bad but not great as Mexican food goes. Pretty dry but somewhat tasty. Since leaving there we certainly have a bad taste in our mouth for that restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Robert C
De Pere, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stopped in to eat after a great time rafting the Arkansas. The server was very friendly and helpful. The food (and beer) was great!

• Visited June 2014
Buena Vista, CO
“Great Mexican Food and Margarita's”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Moving from Texas to Colorado, I can tell you that it is hard to find good Mexican Food. However, Los Girasoles is the clear winner in Buena Vista. Great selection and very consistent. Also very reasonably priced. Their Margareta special is hard to beat. I definitely recommend for both lunch and dinner.

Visited June 2014
“Amazing chips and salsa; friendly”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Love the food, the margs, the chips and salsa are fresh! The atmosphere is okay and they are busy, so you may need to be patient to get your check. Chicken mole--really tender and had good flavor when I was there.

Visited June 2014

Been to Los Girasoles? Share your experiences!