“Beautiful soaking pools, but god awful motel!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Health Spa
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful soaking pools, but god awful motel!!”
Reviewed 16 July 2006

Let me first say, due to the pools, I still like this place. The pools are beautiful. Each stone and shell has been laid with much care and attention. The motel, however, is another story. I've just read the other reviews and cracked up. I know precisely what they're talking about. Although I've not had such bad experiences there, the last time I stayed overnight was horrible. The place has become so run down. But worst of all, there is no air conditioning. Once the door is closed, it becomes insufferably hot. Sleeping is next to impossible. There is a standing floor air conditioner, which is totally worthless. It was one of the worst nights I've had in a long long time. I'd recommend soaking in the pools (and the massage/spa services are good too), but sleep elsewhere!! Way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Colo-Bound

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We stayed one very long night at Cottonwood. The beds were hard, there was no air conditioning just a fan with a loud high pitched whine. The rooms stank and were stuffy so we left the window open.

They claim to be adult oriented but I was kept awake till 1 AM by loud kids running and shouting. They woke by 3 year old up at 11:30 PM and it took me hours to get her down again. The place was so loud and the bed so uncomfortable that I only got about 3 hours of sleep. That is not acceptable for a $108 hotel stay. I am still ANGRY.

The pools were crowded and full of 18 - 25 year old locals who were rather loud and obnoxious.

This was the worst night I have spent in a long time. I feel that I wasted my money by going there.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Dee W

Travellers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

Reviewed 8 February 2006

My husband and I have stayed at several hot springs lodgings around Colorado but had not been here before. When arriving, we were a little nervous, as the lodge looked pretty worn down. However, we were delighted with the common room area with its fireplace, couches, books, games and eating area. The staff that checked us in was very friendly. Our room was very basic and older, but clean and comfortable. I would not be happy staying in a dirty room, but I did not feel it was dirty. Maybe the winter months are quieter, or maybe they've improved from what other reviewers have noted. They have been remodeling the rooms, and the furniture and bed seemed new. I had a little problem with the smell of new paint, as they were repainting the rooms, but that should pass. My husband did have a terrible experience with his shower in the morning, alternating between scalding and freezing. We think they were refilling one of the hot pools (which had been drained for cleaning) while he was in the shower and that caused the fluctuations. As for the pools, we were very pleased. The reason we came to this lodging was for the hot springs and a massage, and we were not disappointed. The pools are quite close to the lodge, and it was nice to dash out the door straight into the water, without a long walk or drive in the cold. The water seemed very clean, and had no chlorine or sulphur odors to it at all. If you are uncomfortable with nudity in the pools, then don't come here in the winter. They do allow nudity after dark in the winter months only. Also, the overall atmosphere is pretty "granola" (you Coloradoans know what I mean) or "hippie". If you're bothered by that, don't come here. However, if you are looking for a nice winter warm up and relaxation and don't mind a basic room, by all means check it out.

• Stayed February 2006
Reviewed 14 December 2005

So... My buddy is in from out of town and we thought it would be fun to stay at the hot springs for a night. We called and made reservations for a cabin (dogs are allowed in the cabin), packed, loaded up the kids,dogs,wife and buddy. We drove 4 hours in the snow and arived in the afternoon. Time for check in right...
WRONG!!! They told us they didn't have anthing for us(despite the fact we had called before leaving to conferm).
Mistakes happen. I understand that, but they made NO attempt to rectify the situation or even appologise. They realy could care less.
So there I was 4 hours from home, in the snow with night approaching, two dogs, two little girls(nearly in tears), my wife and freind and no place to stay.
These guys need to put down the crack pipe pull there heads out of there asses and come to terms with the fact that a large part of running a buisness is costomer service. I will never step foot in that place again.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 December 2005

It all started when my friends wife wanted us to go to this place she loved as a kid. Well, we made last minuite reservations, called back to confirm, drove there and were turned away (if the person you talk to is named Dixi ask for someone else, she couldn't find her [--] with both hands and a flashlight!). Dixi said she made our reservations for the following night (even though we called to confirm twice and told her we would be there in about three to four hours). Talking to a different employee named Alex was no better, he said dimensia had to be involved. Long story short, they were very rude for people who had just screwed up big time and offered no apology. When we asked about options Dixi informed us ,"she didn't have to do anything!" That's when we found (with no help from those who just screwed us) Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort, Go there, they were great. Now I'm no prude, unlike other reviewers I don't care if there are naked people, hey, whatever. But I can sum it all up in one phrase, "for somewhere that claims to be so hippie, the attitude is rediculously yuppie".

• Stayed November 2005
Western NC
Reviewed 27 August 2005

On our first night traveling from Denver to Las Vegas, we stayed at the Cottonwood Hot Springs.

Dirt parking lot..(full of cars!!??!!) Yet when we checked in...there were many rooms available. (?)

The front office man....told us our room was upstairs..and we could access it through the lobby or the other end of the parking lot. Since we had parked toward the end, we chose the latter. Well.....as we walked past the wornout and empty bunny area...we climbed a few rocks...then to the steps....and eventually to a door way...which had no door knob...so you had to put your fingers in the knob hole..and pull the door open. Down a long corridor..to our room, glass windows on one side...rooms on the other side. Our room had no air cond. (it was hot!) no tv, no phone. (The windows in the corridor looked over a balcony....however...there was no way to access the balcony!??) Weird!
We tried to get our motel room type AC unit to work..to no avail. I walked to the front desk and asked the man...about the AC. He told me...."we have no AC, just open your windows and the windows in the hall way..it will be cool by morning."

This is a very strange place....the parking lot was usually full..we couldn't figure that out.??

At 100 bucks a night...its a rip off. Maybe $25 a night...and use of the pools...(which didn't seem to have a current) might be ok.

A very unusual place!

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank Slickrockguy
Reviewed 14 July 2005

First let me start by saying the room costs us $141.00 for one night(on a week night). You might think it would be an ok place to stay. That room rate in New Orleans would be a pretty classy place, or even a room on the Gulf front at a 4 star resort. You would also think, or so we did, that for that price the room would be clean. I for one thought you would have air conditioning, a phone, and a t.v. Well what a suprise!
We were traveling with some family that lives in Colorado, so we really felt "obligated" to stay the night (actually we had 2 nights reserved), since they had made the reservation in advance, and wanted to show us around the mountains. If we had been alone( my husband and I) we would not have even checked in. Camping outside would have probably been better, even with reports of a large bear roaming the area.
The office had used bathing suits for rent, and a bulletin board full of "activities" and ceremonies you could attend. I saw a notice of the times of year you did not have to wear clothes in the "hot tubs" and I knew we would not be getting in the water (no chlorine all natural).
Walking into our room was NO better, it seemed stale and musty, and I am not sure how often it was cleaned, it was dirty. The mattress sagged, it was way worn out, and I felt so depressed. I went to turn on the t.v. to see something that would take my mind away from the "resort" I knew we were stuck in. Well.......could not do that, since there was no T.V., I realized this as my husband said the old air unit hanging out the window did not work! It was hot,,,, so he inquired at the front desk ( in person since there was no phone in the room either) he was told they do not advertise they have air conditioning. I knew then we were not getting any turn down service that night! Ha Ha!
Oh, and there were bunnies hopping all around the parking lot, and some cats running down the hall that connected all of the rooms. And... how can I forget the man in the room next door to us sitting in a chair at his window naked with the room light on at night with his curtain open. I felt as if there was a hippie love fest going on around us ( good if you are into that I guess with dirty hippie people) . Thank goodness we had to leave the next day because of a hurricane in the Gulf (we live in the South).....we found out because of our cell phone (no t.v. remember).
Overall.........don't stay here.... keep looking for another place..anywhere is better, I am sure of it.

• Stayed July 2005
#2 of 3 in Buena Vista
Surf Chateau
Surf Chateau
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista

Been to Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Health Spa? Share your experiences!