“Good food, friendly owner, much to like here!”
Review of the smokeshack - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
the smokeshack
Cuisines: American
Description: Finally, An Alternative To Bar Food (which I Love, But Not Always The Gritty Bar). This Place Has Great Food - Even For A Veggie. Fab Mac 'n Cheese, Other Sides. My Husband And I Split 2 Sides Mac 'n Cheese, 1 Frenech Fies (fresh Cut!!!) And Aside Of Ribs - Great Stuff And Affordable! Prompt Service, Conventient.
Houston, Texas
“Good food, friendly owner, much to like here!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Almost a "hole in the wall", not readily visible from the highway, this little BBQ is great fun, great vacation-type atmosphere, great food. We stop here for our annual trek to the mountains, been coming here a few years now. Found it kind of by accident. The owner, Eric is enthusiastic, the service is excellent. They smoke their own meats, make their own BBQ sauces. This year we showed up right at closing time but they took care of us no problem. They also serve an excellent breakfast.

For conversation, ask Eric about the band "Widespread Panic."

• Visited July 2013

Colorado Rockies
“Outstanding restaurant for what they are - Not 5star, but not expensive either”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is NOT a "Five Star Restaurant" but a great little casual spot with fresh smoked meats behind a service station in the "Johnson Village" section of Buena Vista. They get 5 stars for being a great place for what they are.

I would definitely return.

Great people, great service. When I asked for my sandwich to be made "my way" (Steak Sandwich- please add more veggies, less cheese and as non-greasy as possible) I got it exactly that way and it was great! They also offer Gluten Free options and GF bread.

The smoked meat was great, BBQ sauces good.

The collard greens were supposedly "traditional" and they were cooked in their smoked meat, but I learned to cook them from an old black southern chef, and prefer them not in a bowl of cooking water, which I had to add salt to (and I don't use much salt). But, they were still good and I ate every bit.

We'll be back. (By the way, stayed the night at the first KOA I ever visited just down the road. Sweet little cabin overlooking the valley and would return there too.)

• Visited June 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
“A Double Treat”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had the pleasure of discovering this place while traveling back to Denver. I have often filled up at the gas station but never eaten in the restaurant. I decided to give it a try and what a treat. I had the pulled pork sandwich, which was incredibly tender and delicious, even before I put the homemade BBQ sauce on. The baked beans were the best I've had this side of Texas. The staff and management were very good and, as an added bonus, are fans of the Grateful Dead, SCI, Phish, WSP, etc. The music of those bands is in the background and the wall were adorned with their posters. When Eric commented on our concert pins, I knew we had found a new place to eat -- in addition to the incredibly good food. This place is not to be missed. Thanks, Eric, for a great meal and a comfortable break from the road.

• Visited July 2013
denver
“Gem of a find!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

i'm pretty picky about BBQ as its not my fav and my husband doesn't eat meat but we had little time and stopped here. and boy, were we glad! i don;t eat BBQ sauce but the meat was so tender and flavorful it didn't matter. my husband had smoked trout (an unusual find in this area) and loved it as well as the mac 'n cheese. i would sooo recommend this place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 1441ab
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun ambiance and delicious food”
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Normally a restaurant that's attached to a gas station wouldn't seem like a great place to eat, but wow! I had their daily special of smoked chicken philly with sweet potato fries and it was scrumptious!! The staff was very friendly, the restaurant was clean, had great music, and the walls were covered in old concert posters. Add to that the affordable price and you can't beat this BBQ joint. Don't leave Buena Vista without stopping here.

• Visited April 2013