“Clean, friendly, no frills” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Western Sumac Lodge

Great Western Sumac Lodge
“Clean, friendly, no frills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

My friend and I stayed one night at this hotel after a long day of 4-wheeling in the mountains around St. Elmo. The front desk lady gave us a 10% discount when we asked for it, so we paid less than $70 total for the night (September).

The room was clean, and as the other reviews have said, it's an old motel with absolutely no frills. But it was fine for us, we only wanted to sleep.

We're from Texas and neither of us recognized the wall heaters as such at first glance and when the system didn't make noise when we moved the thermostat we thought it wasn't working. But it worked very well and the room was nice and toasty.

There's a grocery store next door that reportedly has a great breakfast.

I thought the motel was clean, bare-bones, and a good value. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank LenoraJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Denver, CO.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

I have been visiting Beuna Vista since 1979, mostly for hunting but for backpacking, camping with my children and grandchildren, four wheel driving, sight seeing and fishing. My brother & I have been hunting there for almost 40 years and have stayed at the Sumac many times. It's not a 5 Star place but you wont find a 5 Star place within a hundred and fifty miles as far as I know, but it's clean, quite, cozy and in the middle of this one traffic light town! The owner was very pleasant and accommodating! When I reserved the room she never asked for any kind of a deposit or credit card number, she allowed my 2 sons and I to stay for as long as we need to and then pay when we decided to check out , how many places would do that for you? The rooms are clean and roomy, unless you're planning a huge party! The heater worked great and on previous visits the wall air conditioner worked the same. In a few words, it's a clean, quite, cozy, reasonably priced place to stay.....

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank uncoD
Longmont, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Reseved a room with a king size bed for my wife and I along with our 2 young children one month in advance. We were in Buena Vista, Colorado to attend a wedding and this hotel was the closest to the church. I also brought along another wedding guest who booked his own room 1 week prior to the wedding.

Check in time for thier rooms is 3:00pm. Called to confim reservation the day before and asked for an early check in since we need a place to get ready for a 4:00pm wedding. Was told "No problem, we will clean your room first. Could be ready as soon as 12:00pm". Arrived at 2:00pm our room was not ready, but our travelling companion's room (who did not request early check in) was ready. So the entire family changed and got ready for a wedding in the one room, went to the wedding, came back to the hotel (5:00 pm)to change for the reception and the room still not ready or had even been touched. The excuse for this was "a house keeper did not show up for work", then later told us "there are no clean sheets to fit your bed, would you like to wait for us to clean some sheets" (5:45pm). We decided to call other hotels in the area.

Needless to say we got a refund and found another room at the Super 8 down the road. There were only 4 cars in the SUMAC parking lot and 3 workers wandering around. This should have been my first clue to get the heck out of there.

I hope this review helps someone else avoid the disaster of staying at the Great werstern Sumac lodge of Buena Vista Colorado.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Colotraveler66

Travellers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

This is a no frills, but clean and quiet motel. All is old, but not musty. Room are really spacious. We stayed in Room 1. Office is so cluttered and seems disorganized that I asked to see the room before signing in. However, the room had all we needed. We paid $79 incl. the AAA or AARP discount. It didn't have the frills of the franchise chains, but it didn't charge the price either. That night the Best Western was $157 and the Super 8 was over $120. We were happy. PS: Eat at Quincys--filet mignon for $6.95.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
GAINESVILLE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

I have stayed at the Sumac Lodge many times over the past 4 years and have found them to be courteous, helpful, economical, clean...but best of all they have accomadated my assorted pets and me as I have rafted, hiked, snowshoed and generally enjoyed the peace of Buena Vista in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.

• Liked — pet friendly, courteous staff...close to all kinds of outdoor adventures
  • Stayed June 2007
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2005

We stayed at this hotel in Buena Vista mostly because we had a pet and called too late to find a better place. It seemed to be very clean, but absolutely nothing fancy. The room was spacious with very high ceilings. A wall A/C unit did not blow out air very hard, but it was nice and cool in there. No shampoo or bar soaps offered, but a wall mounted soap dispenser in the bathroom and in the shower. The front desk person was very nice, but I had to follow them to the housekeeper to get our key and then, later, follow them to the laundry room to get an extra towel. They have a litte fenced yard area with some very old children's play stuff and a small yard out front with a BBQ. If you need fancy, don't stay here, but if you just want a decent place to sleep, it was fine; however, for $98.00 we could have stayed at Holiday Inn or Super 8, or even a private cabin.
You have to pay for calls from the room. No pool. Right on hwy 24 in the town, right next door to City Market.

4 Thank kevinsgirl
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort

Been to Great Western Sumac Lodge? Share your experiences!