“Elk mountain ranch, the best ranch experience you could have!”
Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
New York City, New York
“Elk mountain ranch, the best ranch experience you could have!”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Our visit to Elk Mountain Ranch was certainly our holiday of a lifetime. The ranch is home to Tom and Sue and their carefully selected group of wranglers, chefs and help. The minute that you arrive at the ranch you will very quickly feel as though it is your home too and Tom, Sue and the gang will feel like extended family before long.

We chose to drive from Denver in a rental car though the ranch does have a van that will pick up guests from the airport if you co-ordinate flight times accordingly. Next time I’m sure we’ll take this option since it makes for 3 hours of entertainment with either Tom or a wrangler. However, the drive is not at all challenging and is a bit of an adventure.

We were greeted with the warmest of welcome and shown to our cabin. Tom and Sue put so much effort into making everyone feel at home and we were so touched by our little personalized welcome gifts, I even managed to restrain myself from eating the horsey treats. We were shown all of the amenities of the ranch, but just the lodge with its open fire, the hot tub, and the surrounding beautiful landscape were all so inviting that we weren’t sure what to do first. Luckily everything is so perfectly planned that there is very little need for thinking and before we knew it it was our first of many delicious meals at the ranch. Let there be no mistake there will be no going hungry at Elk Mountain Ranch with simply amazing meals served up back at the lodge for dinner, out in the forest for lunch or packed up in your saddle bag for a picnic. We couldn’t have asked for more, I just wish that I had had more room for desserts! Every mealtime was such a joy to talk with the other guests and get to know the wranglers and Tom and Sue better.

To say that Tom and Sue are experienced would be an understatement. Tom’s horsemanship expertise gives even a well-seasoned rider the opportunity to learn a lot and their horses are all lovely. They have around 50 beautiful steads to suit all ages and abilities. Tom carefully matches each rider with a horse with whom they will get to spend the week and get to know. It was funny that somehow you could see an element of each of us in the horses that he chose and I don’t mean that you are quite as ‘windy’ as Billy in case you read this Brittany ;) I certainly miss lil’ Daisy!

The wranglers lead exciting and unique trails each day with the opportunity for other activities such as shooting and fishing. All great fun and like everything, very well organized such that all we ever needed to do was enjoy. While we experienced the adult only week, it is not hard to see how children would have a ball at the ranch. We indulged our inner child with a few games of air hockey and I discovered that as a child I was probably better at it (as was the case with billiards and basketball). Likewise the wranglers talk about taking kids out for trail rides with great enthusiasm and it is clear that the ranch would be the perfect place for a family break.

In summary, what can we say about our week at Elk Mountain Ranch;

The PRO’s – having a holiday of a lifetime

The CON’s – LEAVING!

We simply cannot wait to be back at Elk Mountain Ranch, so keep our saddles warm guys, we’ll see you again soon!

Liz and Alessia

Room Tip: All of the cabins are uniquely cosy and delightful!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LilsG

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The spectacular views, and the beautiful horses were just the beginning of this dream like vacation. From the moment we were picked up at our hotel in Denver until we were dropped off at the airport 7 days later, was the most unbelievable, relaxing, and momentous time we've ever spent away from home. The food, lodging and riding was A++. We really were impressed with the wranglers, cooking and serving staff. They were experienced, professional, and really took such good care of us. We could do as much or as little as we wanted to. Even though we are close to retirement age, we had a ball riding through the Aspens. Tom and Sue did everything they could to make us comfortable and relaxed. The others vacationing there with us are now our friends. Two thumbs up to EMR. Judie and Bill

Room Tip: the cabins are different sizes depending on your party. Ours had 2 br, 1 bath, and a sitting room w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The ranch was great and the people who worked at the ranch were extremely nice. Be prepared for a fun day of horseback riding, relaxing, and great food with other activity options as well. The ranch is kid friendly plus has a kids program to where younger kids can play and have fun as well during the day while the older kids and adults have some time to relax. No moment is boring because there is always something to do. I would recommend it and if I could go back I would.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This matched all our expectations and more. Fantastic family run ranch, excellent staff, delicious food and the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The views when riding through the Rockies were outstanding. Our 12 year old son had the time of his life, as did we. Dont buy cowboy boots if budgeting as the ranch had quite alot they lent out for free. They also lent out slickers in case it rained.

Southampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I am a single mom who was looking for a vacation where my daughter, who loves horses and riding, and I could enjoy some much needed time away from everyday life. Elk Mountain Ranch afforded us the opportunity to acheive my goal. The staff was extremely friendly, responsive to any need we had, and treated us like part of the family. There was never any pressure to conform to a schedule or certain way. Safety and fun were the priorities.
The horses were fantastic and matched perfectly to each rider. For the non-riders, there is always something to do, even if it is just relaxing.
There were other families and couples at the Ranch the week we were there. The amazing thing about it is that after a short few hours, it seemed like we were never strangers. I attribute this to the wonderful atmosphere that Tom, Sue and the staff provide.
I would highly recommend Elk Mountain Ranch to anyone looking for peace, relaxation, and/or an exciting vacation. The scenery is very beautiful too. If you can't find something at this Ranch to make you happy, then I don't know where you will find it. My daughter and I both had the vacation of a life-time. Thank you Elk Mountain Ranch!

1 Thank marie r
dunwoody, ga
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We told our next door neighbors we were thinking about a trip to Colorado and toying with going to a dude ranch..."you should go to Elk Mountain where we took our family 20 years ago and was our best vacation ever!" Well, I guess y'all have been making the best memories for a long time. Who knew all of us (my husband & I, my son 13, my daughter 11 and son 11) would leave with tears in our eyes, hugging everyone goodbye. We kept asking ourselves what made Elm Mountain such an amazing vacation~the pace, our own cabin that was just perfect, the views that made you feel like you were in a western movie, the fabulous staff who love kids, the great food, the rides that were spectacular...and then there's the stuff that just happens like your kids playing Man Hunt with other kids at night while my husband and I were watching the stars. We can't thank you, Tom and Sue, enough for creating an atmosphere that absolutely delighted each member of our family...Love your new/old friends! The Keim family - Atlanta

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Avon Lake, Ohio
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I would highly recommend Elk Mtn Ranch. Beautiful scenery, friendly staff, great food (& plenty of it), great guests, horses matched to your ability, great variety of things to do including R&R if you choose. Very safety conscious. I was worried about them being on a generator with lights out at 11:00 ...no worries! Fantastic for families, girls week , guys week, everyone! Tom, Sue and staff truly made the ranch your home for the week. Also included top notch local entertainment two nights. Our two bedroom cabin had a king size bed in one room and two twins in the other. Full bathroom, walkin closets, living room and a porch with an amazing view of Mount Princeton. Everything was better than we expected.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Elk Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!