“Why did I wait so long to return???”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
Springfield, Illinois
“Why did I wait so long to return???”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

My first experience at EMR was in 1988 when Tom & Sue were wranglers. We have been on quite a few vacations, but I have to say this was the most memorable. Tom & Sue care about each and every guest and that is evident in their staff. The personal attention goes above and beyond. You will not regret spending your vacation at EMR. If you want to go on every ride offered (like my daughter), you can. If you want to spend the day reading on the porch, walking up to the corral to visit the horses, white-water rafting, trying your hand at target practice, archery, fishing or trap-shooting, you can. Tom told us this was our vacation to do as much or as little as we wanted. The food is wonderful, whether cooked in the kitchen or over an open fire on a trail ride. One of my favorite things about the ranch is no tv or phone in our cabins! Who has time to watch tv when you can chat around a fire with new friends or watch the kids play a rousing game of spoons with some of the staff? You meet at the beginning of the week as strangers, but you leave as friends & family.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ocean City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I highly recommend this ranch as a wonderful family vacation. It far exceeded our expectations. Sue and Tom and their staff took wonderful care of our group of 10. The food was excellent, the accommodations rustic and comfortable, and the activities kept us so busy we were exhausted every night! There were many fun, family oriented activities for everyone. The horses are well trained and Tom and the wranglers work hard to make sure everyone is safe and comfortable with the trail riding (the hot tub is quite an asset at the end of the day!) We had a chance to white water raft, try archery, fishing, trap-shooting - in the evening we tried square dancing and had a fun-filled hayride into the country to cook s'mores around a campfire. As a result, our family had a wonderful bonding experience. Not to mention that the breathtaking mountains and sunsets. Thank-you to Sue and Tom!!!!!

1 Thank Cynthia D
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This was our second family trip to Elk Mountain Ranch. Again they treated us to a wonderful family vacation in a beautiful setting. Sue and Tom are great hosts and they take care to hire a fantastic staff. We love the trail rides with experienced wranglers, the white water rafting, and the home-cooked meals. Where else can you get your teenage kids to smile while they square dance and forget the X-Box for a whole week?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This isn't a hotel, this is an experience. The horses are the stars or was it the beautiful vistas they carried us to? You can be as busy or as not busy as you want to be. The wrnglers keep you safe and you feel safe. The accomadations were perfect, the food was maybe a little too good. Wait, I know what the stars here are...the people. You lack for nothing here at 9,000+ feet.

Room Tip: No swimming pool but there are thye hot springs, no fitness center but jeez - the trail rides, rafti...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Wonderful ranch with so much to do with such friendly staff and hosts! They go the extra mile to meet all your expectations. Cozy cabins, great food, caring staff, well- trained horses and wranglers made our week memorable. Highly recommend this ranch to all- we had never ridden horses but had a great time! The scenery is amazing! White water rafting was a highlight too. Give it a try, you won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2012
montgomery, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I recently spent an amazing week at Elk Mountain Ranch. This week was simply heaven!! The setting was beautiful, the horses perfect, the accomodations wonderful, and the entire staff went above and beyond to make sure our vacation was everything we wanted it to be. Tom & Sue open their entire ranch to people they've never met every week - I can't say we know too many people that would do that with the ease they do; they and the rest of the staff were always smiling and laughing and being a wonderful part of it all. We were all treated like family and were able to do as much or as little as we liked. The staff was so knowledgeable about the area that every ride had a bit of a history lesson built in. We met some wonderful people while we were there and the entire experience has touched our lives. Getting so close to nature on horseback everyday for hours was just amazing.... There really are no words to express what this vacation meant. Thank you so much for the wonderful memories and we hope to visit again.... The Johnson's

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I take my daughter (30) on a vacation every year and I decided to try something I always wanted to do but never did: a dude ranch. I searched and searched and decided for us I wanted a small ranch (didn't think I'd enjoy an experience with 50 or more other people) that seemed to really know horses, one that included white water rafting at no extra cost (money is definitely a big factor for us). Boy did I get lucky. From the moment they picked us up for the ride to the ranch to the minute they dropped us off at the airport the following Sunday, we felt like we were at the Ritz of dude ranches.

I'm a senior now but during the first 30 years of my life would consider myself a very very experienced rider. I realize I haven't seen a horse for 33 years and have gained quite a bit of weight so I was a bit concerned about all the activities, especially the riding. I thought I'd be able to handle myself well but maybe it's not like riding a bike??? My daughter never rode except for Y camp when she was in second grade. I was hoping for a horse that wouldn't be boring but I wanted a super steady easy one for my daughter. Well, the wrangles and Tom (the owner) get to know you that first Sunday and they figure us all out pretty fast. Apparently they go have a cowboy horse meeting Sunday night and decide what horse will fit what guest. Holy cow do they match them up perfectly.

The food, the service (they anticipate your needs before you realize they are your needs) ... all exceeded our expectations sooooo beyond what we expected.

I highly recommend it for families, couples, and solo and a bunch of friends. It's a vacation we will never forget!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buena Vista
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Elk Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!