As I sit in the Denver airport waiting to return home, I am still amazed at how much fun I've had this past week.
Thanks to Elk Mountain Ranch, I can now proudly say that I've:
• ridden a horse across breathtaking countryside (walked, trotted and loped),
• rafted Category 3 and maybe 4 rapids,
• won a trap-shooting contest,
• caught rainbow trout from a mountain lake, and
• seen wild elk and a coyote.
One of the major highlights was meeting Tom, Sue, the wranglers and the staff. I was thoroughly impressed with the attention and authenticity they showed. It was clear that they do what they do because they care about the land, the animals, the guests and each other.
The activity choices were plentiful and unique. The facilities were basic (it's a ranch after all), but comfortable. Tons of great food. Almost every detail* was taken care of; I just had to show up.
Four best friends celebrating our 40th birthdays was certain to be fun. Thanks to Elk Mountain Ranch, it was unforgettable.
I cannot wait to return and share this wonderful place with my wife and daughter!
*One small example that showed me how tight a ship Tom and Sue run: Before the Aspen and fishing trips, the guides wiped every van window inside and out ... an effort rendered immediately useless as we departed the ranch on dirt roads. They didn't have to do this, but they did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Colorado's highest guest ranch at 9600 feet. Adjacent to the Browns Canyon National Monument. Weekly package includes meals, lodging and activities - horseback riding, white water rafting, shooting sports, van trip to Aspen, excursion to ropes & adventure park, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, hayride, square dance, childrens' program and more. Massage extra. 35 pampered guests. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Elk Mountain Ranch Hotel Buena Vista