“Great family destination”
Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
Indialantic, Florida
“Great family destination”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is our second ranch vacation. We had an amazing time at Elk Mountain Ranch. The staff was incredible. The owners were hands on. The food was amazing. The horses were awesome. What a great time! You could not ask for a better experience than this ranch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 31 October 2014
Thanks Jesse! It was a pleasure to have you all at the ranch. Please give our best to the boys and don't you two train too hard.... you are making the rest of us look bad. Cheers.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband, daughter, and I were interested in experiencing a dude ranch vacation and learning how to ride horses. What we came back with was SO much more! EMR is filled with employees that welcome you as part of their family. My daughter became so attached to not only the friends she made with the other guests, but with nearly all of the employees that treated her with such love! As the sole vegetarian, they accommodated my dietary needs so personally and perfectly - everything was delicious! We travel several times a year, and this was the first time my daughter cried upon her return from a vacation over missing her horse, her friends, and everyone that worked there. As long as I can get a horse that doesn't eat while riding, I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: All of the rooms (cabins) are within close proximity. The ranch overall is quiet. There is one cab...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 31 October 2014
It was an honor to have you with us this July. Everyone still talked about Kaelyn and what a wonderful young lady she is. Please give her our best. We would love to have you all back .... and yes we can get you a horse that won't munch a bunch. Cheers.
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

EMR has gone over and beyond to make our family vacation a memorable one. Wonderful food, service, and variety of experiences to accommodate all of us. The staff is superb with attention to detail in every activity. We felt right at home in our cabin for the week. We enjoyed the horseback riding and the awesome views of the mountains in every direction. We had a blast white water rafting on the Arkansas River. Each meal was of abundance and tasted very good. Hope to come back next year! Thanks for the best outdoor adventure for our family.

1 Thank Jmkrafty
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a family vacation at Elk Mountain Ranch. It was wonderful for everyone. The youngest, 3 and 4 year olds, we're well entertained in the children's program and loved riding Scout and Oakley.
The 2 pre-teen boys and the 2 13 year old girls all agree it is the best family vacation ever. Tears were shed when we had to leave. However, no one had more fun than the parents. Tom and Sue Murphy have very high standards, hire an outstanding team of college students, and take wonderful care of their horses. Safety always came first. Each trail ride was different. The scenery was beautiful. The meals were outstanding! I could go on and on. The kids have already asked to please go back next year.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mydougal
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for spending your special week with us!
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I got "roped" into attending dude ranch family reunion. Though I have done outdoor activities like hiking and backpacking I had never ridden a horse or done other cowboy-ish activities.

By the end of the week, I was able to command a horse to go where I wanted to go and I could shoot 66% of the clay pigeons out of the air.

The owners are very safety minded, which annoyed some of the guests who thought they were expert horse riders, but I appreciated the attention to safety. The horses were very well trained.
One of my measures of an outdoor trip is how often do you get out the first aid kit. I had to bandage one "hot spot" I got from my new cowboy boots after a 16 mile ride.

Elk Mountain Ranch is in the middle of a beautiful section of the Rockies, and the staff leads a lot of long rides into the back country.

If I was to caution the traveler about any aspect of Elk Mountain Ranch, it would be to watch out for the large quantities of good food. The Ranch is at a high elevation, and they present you with more yummy food than you can eat and digest in the thin air.

An excellent place to go if you want to ride horses.

The first picture on the Tripadvisor description was my room, which in addition to the bedroom had a small living room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JimSunnyvale
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Glad you got "roped in". Loved having you and your family.
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had a fantastic family vacation at Elk Mountain Ranch, during the adults-only week at the beginning of September. My sister wrote a much longer review which covered pretty much everything, but I wanted to add my agreement.

Our room was rustic but very comfortable, and wonderfully quiet and dark at night. The ranch is old but meticulously maintained.

As much as I enjoyed the people and the activities and the food, the scenery of the high Rockies was what really blew my socks off. As a Californian who hikes a lot in the Sierra Nevada, I kept feeling like a traitor as I thought, "This is even prettier than the Sierras!" An advantage of being on horseback was that we could cover more mileage than you could on foot, and the ranch has access to a large number of really beautiful trails.

One pragmatic comment: you will like this place more if you are really into horses, or highly motivated to get that way. Riding is the primary activity, no doubt about it.

Room Tip: Ask Sue. She'll help you choose the right room for you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise C
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
So happy that you enjoyed our 14ers.... they are spectacular. It was a treat to meet your family and get to know you all. Thanks for coming to our ranch.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This vacation was our fourth straight year at Elk Mountain Ranch and we will make five next year -- a week at EMR is just that great! It is a wonderful week of horse rides, Colorado mountain scenery, excursions, water rafting, fabulous home cooked food, and exemplary hospitality from Tom and Sue and all the EMR staff. Plus some great trout fishing too! I know that it is a perfect family vacation but we like the adult only week in September. See you next year!!! Don and Carolyn S.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sue M, Owner at Elk Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We look forward to year number 5... and RJ and Star will be waiting. Thanks for your belief in us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buena Vista
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista
No photo provided
Rivers Mountain Motel
#4 of 18 in Buena Vista

Been to Elk Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!