Review of Rio Celeste

Sacramento, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My mom and I booked a trip to see the Rio Celeste with Guanacaste Viajes. It was not offered on their website, but they created a tour at our request! My friend had been to Costa Rica and strongly recommended seeing the Rio Celeste. And I'm so glad he did. He warned me of a muddy hike, but we were lucky - we went on a sunny day with no mud. It was a hot day and the hike was did get me sweaty, but it was all worth it. I'm a 30yo female not in the best of shape and my mom is a woman in her mid50's that hikes 2000ft elevations in 2 miles every weekend. We were both tired and sweaty, but we thought it was well worth it. Our guide explained that they were rebuilding the stairway to get down to the waterfall. The labor is rough as they have to haul everything in. We saw the campgrounds for the men who were working there. They used to let you swim in the brilliant blue waters which would have been neat, but there were some deaths apparently and so it has since been prohibited. No matter, it's still amazing to see such blue waters. You get to see the blue waters as well as where the waters meet to create the beautiful hue.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank nutstarr02

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This was great”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

we did this via our hotel, who books out to jacamar tours. It was a great day. It's a long hike and you'll be nice and tired after. Hugo, our guide was awesome. He was able to point out wildlife that we would have walked right past and he was very knowledgeable and funny. He went way out of his way to make sure we saw cool stuff.

Windsor, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Fantastic Hike + View”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

During the second week of August, I travelled to Costa Rica. I am a firm believer of doing at LEASE one hike during your vacation. Now considering I’m a clueless outsider, I did go with a group led by Canoa Adventura (which by the way is a GREAT company).

Now I’m a 29 year old female – my weight is normal (BMI 22) but I DON’T exercise so I completely out of shape. Again I mention this because it is a HIKE – considered to be moderate difficulty (or so I was told). Mind you – I am VERY persistent and I was the first “hiker” right behind our tour guide.

It did rain a tiny bit - but being in the forest, the only soaking you’ll get is your own sweat. So – 2-3 hours of hiking worth it or not to see Rio Celeste. Answer – Yes and No.

1- It is a moderately strenuous hike of 2-3 hours (depending on if you take any stops to sight see).
2- 2-3 hours to see blue water may not be the up and about to SOME people
3- If you’re completely in shape… then the hike might be considered a tad boring
4- If you hate stairs (I despise them), then there is a section with a huge amount of stairs… toughest part
5- It is an 1 hour and 30 minute drive from Arenal Area (where most will be staying)

1- Rio Celeste is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!!
2- It’s a great adventure walking through the forests and learning about nature and some wild life
3- Walking with a group is always fun!
4- As I said, I’m NOT in shape. However – it is absolutely a crazy amount of fun to work up a sweat! I LOVE going up and down the hills while doing point #2.
5- It is an extremely satisfying expertise and you feel accomplished/”pride-full” when your done (again if you’re an avid hiker… perhaps not as much)
6- Makes lunch more satisfying! Haha

So would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY!

Visited August 2013
5 Thank BazAlk
Poynette
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Worth the hike! The colors are gorgeous, and the waterfall is stunning. Our guide taught us a lot throughout the hike and the 'Indiana Jones' bridges were quite the experience!

1 Thank Whitney R
Cotopaxi, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Rio Celeste Waterfall”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Rough road up to Tenorio National Park entrance to Rio Celeste but its Costa Rica off the paved roads. Stunningly beautiful waterfall and river. Some have complained about the trail being muddy in the rainy season, Duh...it's the rainy season in the rain forest, sheesh. Nice hike, don't need a guide the trail is easy to follow. went in the "green season" (dontcha love tourist ad speak?), got rained on, got some lovely images, good times.

1 Thank phototraveler81223