“Very clean, quiet, but poor customer service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Royal View Campground
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I searched online and was impressed with this campground's website and their amenities so went ahead and booked. We were given a wonderful site with shade pretty much all day, much appreciated because it was hot for this early in the year. We were a little disappointed that the pool wasn't open yet, but that was probably to be expected at this time of year. I agree, you could tell right away that they definitely took their rules seriously, especially regarding pets. Their pet run was great, though, and it was nice to have a place where our dogs could run around and not be on leash. The male owner definitely was a bit short when the second part of our group arrived and he thought we had an extra person and they were parked in the wrong place, but it was a misunderstanding of what I thought he had told me when we checked in. The bathrooms are great and the place is very clean. We went zip lining all morning and left our dog in our trailer and apparently she whined the entire time, but the female owner was courteous when she came to inquire and make sure that our dog wasn't hurt. We were allowed to have a fire. I agree that the owners definitely work hard to keep the place up and it was quiet and peaceful (not many people there yet in the season). I didn't really mind paying the dollar for the shower, although I was a bit surprised it was not included and the water pressure wasn't very good. I actually talked to the owner about his being short with the other part of our party and when we checked out he was very nice. Undecided about whether we would stay there again - the other campgrounds were much busier and since we didn't have kids it was nice to have the quiet and cleanliness, but the customer service was questionable. We had decided to give the owner the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was just under a lot of stress, seeing how hard they were working and trying to get ready to open for the season, but after reading the reviews over multiple years, I now wonder......

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandy Y

Reviewed 22 September 2011

My husband and two grown children plus our two labs just spent the week end at this campground and will definately return! Todd was amazing, he was very helpful, it was our first trip with our new RV and his wife was great also, I can't remember her name. The fenced in dog area was a life saver. We had a beautiful site with a fire ring and full hookups. This campground is peaceful and beautiful and we can't wait until we can visit again. I was nervous after I booked and then found the negative reviews, but found them to be quit untrue. Going 5 miles an hour saves the roads from ruts which are hard on your vehicles and you only go that slow for a few minutes, so no big deal. Todd was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Where do I start.............. My wife set up the reservations for our 1 year anniversary and we were very excited. We arrived to find that there was no fires allowed and the owner was really rude. The employee who helped us was very pleasant to communicate with. We had brought our own firewood and planned meals around this. Thanks for letting us know ahead of time! I asked the employee if they wanted the firewood ( the owner behind her with his back to us the whole time), he said " we cant get rid of what we've got". The owners wife was also quite rude, never smiling or even making eye contact.
The map of the campground is quite deceiving (looks bigger on the map than in real life), our tent barely fit in the spot we had reserved. The showers, besides costing $1 per 7 minutes, had no pressure or much water for that matter. The campground was quite for fear of being fined for having a good time.
We got up early on saturday and enjoyed the day at the Royal Gorge Bridge and in Canyon City. The train ride with the open car was very enjoyable. No need to pay for the expensive seats with the open car. Finished up our day and arrived at the tent site ready for bed (10pm). Got a flashlight out and discovered a RATTLESNAKE (small rattler, but a ratter none the less) in front of our car! Good thing I had an axe, got some use out of it being that there was no fire allowed. I cut the snakes head off, and we headed back to town to get a room.
We packed up the next morning and went to check out. The owner was still as discourteous self when we went to talk to him about the RATTLESNAKE we had encountered. We mentioned that no onw had mentioned there being snakes in the area, and all he had to say was "I have never seen a rattlesnake in this campground".....right. I dropped the snake on his desk and said well you have now. We asked for some kind of compensation for our troubles and he sat back and said "Its not my responsibility, Its not like I put is there" (It went down about how I thought it would).
There are no warnings for RATTLESNAKEs. If you decide to go be careful. There were kids running around and I told the owner that he should at least mention it so people know. I doubt he will, but if McDonalds can get sued for coffee burning someone, he can certainly get sued if someone got bit by a RATTLESNAKE.
Hope this helps.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank salcshredder
Reviewed 5 July 2011

To start off I will say the place is clean. That's all it has going. For it. The owner was upset and rude after I told him at checkin we were only staying three nights instead of six. On the first evening when coming back to the park I must have been going over 5 MPH because the owner chased down my car and met me at my spot and started to yell at me in front of other people that if I don't have my foots on the brake I am going too fast. He was very unprofessional and rude.
on top of this the water you pay for in the shower for 1.00 has very little press iture. There are alot of rules and you don't want to break them. It was a very dreadfully and stressful 3days.

• Stayed: July 2011
8  Thank Jim D
Reviewed 13 June 2011

terrible service, no respect for customers, NOT kid and teenager friendly. started construction right by campground, facility filled with bugs, pool filled with bugs, oil-like scum in pool. very disappointed

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank mzklvr2
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We'd made reservations THEN read all the poor reviews on here and though, "uh, oh". Yes, Todd reviewed all the policies and procedures before we got set up, which was no big deal. The campground is very quiet, it's far enough back off the road to have no road noise at all, and if people were making a racket, they'd be asked to leave. After having suffered through many sleepless nights in campgrounds with generators running, loud parties, etc., we appreciate that. We have 2 dogs and are as offended as anyone else when other people don't pick up after their dogs. There's a nice, clean, fenced-in pet area, with pick-up bags and trash can, but there are also a lot of very nice trails and places to walk in the campground, which we enjoyed. If people don't pick upafter their dogs, they're asked to leave - good! You have to drive 5 MPH on a short stretch of gravel road. No big deal, and when people drive faster, they beat out the roads, which is costly to keep re-grading, plus who wants to drive on a washboard road? The campground across the road seemed nice with a lot more for kids to do (we don't have kids), so it is a lot noisier, even at night, so not a good choice for us. The campground across from Walmart is a dump, and the other campgrounds seemed OK, but this is a very nice campground with landscaping, flowers, hookups, pool, pet area, no dog poop anywhere (and when have you ever seen THAT), quiet, and it's close to attractions. These are the things that are important to us, and we had a lovely stay for several days there. Our Verizon Droids didn't work, so we had to go into town to communicate, but that isn't the campground's fault. Verizon has no towers out there - I called them. We run a business and had to communicate with subcontractors so thought we'd go elsewhere where the phones would work. Todd wrote us a refund check on the spot, no hassle. We couldn't find a nice campground nearby that had cell phone service, so we went back. Todd thanked us for returning, and we setttled in to the spot we'd left earlier. Bottom line, if you follow the rules, which are actually quite reasonable, you'll have no problems and have a nice stay. If you don't, it may be another matter. As for us, we plan to go back. The other campers there all seemed quite satisfied, as well. Oh, and if you want a FUN thing to do, go on the Royal Gorge RR to the outdoor car. It was a blast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1147mollybrown
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We picked this campground soley on it's close proximity to the white water rafting trip we had booked. Our first impression was much like others. Very clean and quiet. When we got there in the afternoon my teenage son was hoping to use the pool. Turns out that they said the weather was too iffy so they decided not to uncover the pool. The second evening when my son questioned the owner about the pool being closed again the owner just said "Well, it's getting late and by the time I open it you'll only have an hour to use it so it's not really worth the trouble". We had a tent site which was very clean. We were allowed to build a fire. The other major inconveniences were the bathrooms. You need to buy tokens from the office for the showers, so plan ahead because the office practically has bankers hours. The night we were there someone had really messed up the bathroom sinks and they were completely clogged with sand or something. The office was already closed of course so there was no one to report it to.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family