“Choppers!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Echo Canyon Campground & RV Park
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The tent campsites were very basic and accessed by roughly graded dirt roads; the staff tries hard to keep them in shape. The shower and laundry facility was nice and clean. Beware the helicopter tourist ride directly across from the campground: they fly 10 minute routes to & from Royal Gorge starting around 7:30 AM and running until dark. The flight path runs along the eastern edge of the campground; the departures and landings are low and noisy. If you ever wished that you could have been an extra in M*A*S*H*, this is the place for you to stay.

2  Thank TentCamper001
EchoCanyon, General Manager at Echo Canyon Campground & RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

TentCamper001, I must admit, this is the first time I've laughed out loud after reading a 2 star review, and I mean that as a compliment! Yes, the M*A*S*H* helicopter has made a mark this summer with noise pollution. We will make an attempt to contact the pilot to kindly request a course change that doesn't take the chopper over the campground. Aside from that, thank you for complimenting our staff and noting the cleanliness of our facilities.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We camped here for a Saturday and Sunday Night---the facilities were very clean and showers had great water pressure/heat. They are coin operated but you get the coins for free per guest--the 7 minutes was enough even for my thick hair. Great outdoor wash sink and had electric plugs in the bathrooms etc.

The sites themselves were good---I wish they were a little more defined there was not a clean tent location. We were located along the back wall which was nice. but finding a good flat tent spot was nice. Also, our site seemed to be loaded down w/ cigarette butts which and old beer caps. It would be nice if they clean the spots up.

The only major negative was that on Saturday night the location across the road had a live band and it was wicked loud. We can clearly hear laughing and conversations until about 1am or later. We were traveling w/ two small children and it kept them awake. Also, near the end of the night we noticed a a few cars driving near us when we were at the far end of the campground w/out any other campers. I think maybe this was people looking to end a party (which could explain the beer caps etc) so that was something that kept us up as well. This was only the case on Saturday so if you are looking for a more quiet camping spot---I would not recommend choosing this location over a friday/saturday night.

As the other reviewers noted there is road noise but this is sort of a camping norm if you are staying near a road in a popular town--it was not that bad. Far easier to ignore than the party across the street.

All and all---it was great, we would camp here again but this was camp ground #4 of a long vacation for us and was pretty average. A little pricey compared to others but the clean facilities were nice. They advertised wifi but we could hardly connect and when we could it was unstable. They should get a stronger wifi and reboot it daily to keep it working. People were wicked nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Borah22, I thank you so much for your review. It's reviews like these that help not just travelers but it also tells us what we need to work on. Cleaner sites, more level tent sites - check. We will aim to improve both of those. I sure wish the noisy bar next door would respect our campers more. On that front I suppose we can simply be warning campers that weekend nights may be on the noisy side.

I appreciate all of the positive comments you made about our staff and facilities. I hope that the next time you visit us you find improvements that make it a better camping experience. Thank you!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at Echo Canyon Campground for an entire week and had a great time. Clean bathrooms, nice hosts and tons of things to do nearby! We loved the outdoor sink to wash our dishes daily. We had a shaded campsite with a picnic table and fire ring. You can see the Royal Gorge from this campground.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Wendy for spending a week with us! There is a ton to do in this area and I'm happy to hear we could be a good base camp for those explorations. I'll send some praise toward our staff as they certainly are owed that after reading your positive comments. Thanks for your review Wendy!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We literally just left this place and we could have not had a better experience. The staff was friendly and let me start by saying this is one of the cleanest campgrounds we have ever been to. They do have flushable toilets near the office but a porter potty was stationes steps away from our group campsite. It was the cleanest porter potty I have ever been in. The canopy that was right on our site was heaven. Across the street is a helicopter ride spot and a river rafting joint. The only thing annoyes me a little was the helicopter flyjng 30 times a day above you. This kind of got me crancky because we did have a baby with us who could not get a nap in the entire stay. Overall we loved this place and our dogs did too! Will be returning !

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Thank J. H

Thanks for your review J.H! It sounds like you had a really nice stay with us, despite the pesky helicopter buzzing near the campground. We're going to reach out to the helicopter pilot to request he change the course that takes him immediately over our campground, so I appreciate your mentioning that. I will also pass along your high praise for our campground staff. Thanks J.H.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Clean, well-maintained campground and facilities. Great service by the managers - felt that they were well-intended. Location was not ideal as you could hear the bar across the street playing music loud into the night. It is relatively close to the Gorge and rafting outfitters which is a plus. Also could hear traffic zooming by on the highway. We were located along the fence but there were more secluded locations. Shower facilities were advertised and very meticulously cleaned but we learned after we set up camp that they were not free which was a major drawback for us. Would consider trying it again based on the friendliness of the managers but would like to see more value for the price. Glad to support the Gorge area though as it rebuilds. Gorgeous area!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
EchoCanyon, General Manager at Echo Canyon Campground & RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hello waltonma, Thanks for choosing to camp with us on your vacation. I'm happy to hear you found the campground and facilities to be well-maintained and that our managers offered you great service! It is, of course, disappointing to hear the bar next door was too noisy. I apologize this was a negative aspect of your visit and I'll politely approach the owner of the bar to lobby for turning the noise down a couple notches for our campers' sake. I wish there was something I could do about the highway noise; I suppose all we can do there is be diligent about informing guests in advance that we are located just off a major road.

Regarding the shower facilities, we certainly do include the facilities and showers for all of our campers at no additional charge. We only charge for showers for those guests who are not staying at our campground. I'm not sure where the communication breakdown occurred that may have prevented you from enjoying a hot shower. I apologize if we caused you confusion there. Feel free to give me a call if you would like: My name is Ben Sack and I can be reached at 719-275-3154. I appreciate your candid review and we certainly hope you give us another opportunity to give a nice camping experience. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The campground is right across the street from Echo Canyon Rafting and two great bar and grills which was very convenient. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. It was a great experience and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
EchoCanyon, General Manager at Echo Canyon Campground & RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thanks for your review Deewood100. We're pleased you enjoyed camping with us and found our campground to be conveniently located. Also, it's wonderful to hear our staff did a great job for you. Sadly, quality customer service is not the norm in with so many businesses, so I'm happy to hear you were impressed with our crew and the attention they showed you. Thank you!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This campground was clean which was greatly appreciated. They also had nice bathroom facilities with flushing toilets and superb showers. The camp hosts were extremely friendly and showed appreciation for us choosing their campground. The only downfalls were that the campground is close to the highway so at night it was a little noisy and if u wanted anymore than a 7.5 minute shower or more than one shower a day u had to pay for shower tokens. My family and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anybody who is looking to camp in Canon City, Colorado.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robyn F
EchoCanyon, General Manager at Echo Canyon Campground & RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Hi Robyn, Thanks for your recommendation and review! Your compliments on the cleanliness of the campground and facilities has already been passed on to our campground manager and work campers who do all of that hard work. They love seeing feedback like yours. We appreciate your visit and look forward to having you back on your next trip our way!