“Good value”

Budget Host Royal Gorge Inn
Budget Host Royal Gorge Inn
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Canon City
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were told at another hotel we wouldn't be able to get a room for under $100 in Canon City, but decided to try the Budget Host. We paid $70 and were happy with our stay. The pool and hot tub area were nice and clean. The room was basic, but clean. There was no breakfast, just weak coffee in the lobby, but we were told that up front. We were just wanting a clean, comfortable place to sleep at a reasonable price and felt that we found that at the Budget Host.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janendtx
Staci G, Front Desk at Budget Host Royal Gorge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2014

Thank you so much Janendtx for such a nice review. We at the Budget Host understand how expensive it can be to travel and also pay for lodging. We are happy that your stay with us was in your budget and hope to see you again if you come back to our area.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We recently stayed 5 nights here on a family visit. This was our second time staying here. The price is good, the front desk staff friendly and the room always clean. Everything worked just fine in the room and the water got as hot as you could want it. If you expect a 5 star resort experience, go to one. We had our dogs with us again and the hotel was very accomodating to us and them. Being respectful guests, we kept them quiet so as to not disturb anyone else. Perhaps the best experience though, came after we left. We'd somehow left our credit card in the room and a young lady found it while cleaning. She promptly called us about it and was more than willing to do what we wanted to get it returned. That kind of action should usually be expected, but doesnt always happen. We were highly impressed with that. Overall, this is a great place and we havent had a single complaint in two stays.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mochaduc
Reviewed 30 May 2013

They're the ones on a budget, no continental breakfast, no in-room coffee makers, a sign in the lobby, "One cup of coffee per guest." It wasn't cheaper than other area hotels either. Will consider other hotels on our next trip to Canon City.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Rebel_7
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had reservations from May until our trip in July. I wondered why this hotel was cheaper than the others in the area. Now I know!! When we arrived at 2 pm it was 98 degrees outside. We entered to a hot lobby and we were shown to a room that was very hot. We figured that the air conditioning would cool the room down. When I looked at the unit, it was very old and there was actually a mark on the dial that stated, "turn to this setting for best results." It was not even the lowest setting! To our amazement the air was already on!! The room was also very dingy and dark, not enough lighting. Spread was old and worn.
We decided to just check out the indoor pool area with a hot tub. As I entered the room where the pool is I thought I would pass out. Not only no air in this room, but also no open windows or doors. To use a hot tub in this room would be suicide.
Outside of the room we were shown to there was an out side door and right outside that door was a fire ant mound. By the coffee area where you get your continental breakfast there was actually a sign that read " one cup of coffee only." No sign of cereals and we were told muffins and donuts only. Of course we decided not to stay there. We had to wait until 7 pm to talk to someone who understood english and could speak it well enough to complete the transaction.
We were charged for one night anyway as we did not cancel our reservation 24 hours in advance. This must be how they make their money as I can't imagine anyone would be happy there. Very few cars were ever in their parking lot during our whole stay in Canon City, which is a very nice town. We called this hotel 'The Hanoi Hilton" to the hotel we ended up staying in.
My advice is to avoid this hotel at any cost!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank ducky756
Reviewed 10 July 2012

When I arrived, my front desk experience was the most professional I've ever encountered. A young man named Bren helped me with every aspect of checking in and even offered to help with my luggage. My request for a quiet room was met with a discussion of the fact that there were neighbors behind the property with loud dogs and that they had been warned. If I had any problem, I should let them know. Thankfully, the dogs were never a concern and the a/c kept any outside noise to a minimum. The room was comfortable, no complaints there although the tub drained very slowly. In the evening when I went out to dinner, the front desk was abandoned and when I checked out the next morning, it was still abandoned. I had questions about whether there was any breakfast provided, but no one showed up and I went elsewhere for food. Altogether, a great beginning but I was left feeling abandoned as a guest after checking in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mhouse2001
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A very clean, very economical stopover. We stayed here a couple of nights during a much longer Colorado trip mixing a little business and a lot of pleasure. This motel looks like your average motor lodge, but the proprietors here work hard to keep the place clean and in good repair. Make no mistake, this is not a luxury vacation resort. It is a motor lodge, motel, whatever you choose to call it; but when we stayed, it was obvious that it got far better attention and upkeep than other such places. It is basic, but clean - and the people at the desk were very nice folks.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TJB19
Reviewed 20 February 2011

When arriving after booking through Expedia, the clerk was extremely rude. After this experience, we decided not to stay there. After calling back to speak with management, she hung up on me and refused to connect me to management.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple