“Scenic Drive”

Pikes Peak - America's Mountain
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Cascade
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Pikes Peak - America's Mountain! The Pikes Peak Highway entrance is conveniently located 15 minutes west of Colorado Springs on Highway 24. The beauty of being so close to the city is that you can spend your time enjoying the mountain instead of getting to the mountains. Plan for your round trip journey to the summit to take 2-3 hours. The safe, scenic highway provides you the opportunity to enjoy Pikes Peak at your leisure. From the gateway at an elevation of 7,400 feet, you'll encounter some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world as you wind your way through an alpine wonderland of scenic beauty, mountain reservoirs, beyond timberline, overtaking the clouds...All along the way to the 14,115 foot summit of America's most famous mountain. Along the way, you'll discover the North Slope Recreation Area, Crystal Reservoir Gift Shop, Historic Glen Cove Inn, and the Summit House. There are three lakes for fishing, picnic areas, hiking trails, and breathtaking views. Stop and watch one of our "Meet the Ranger" Interpretive Programs and learn about the history, myths, flora and fauna on the mountain. All offer visitor services and basic necessities to make your day both enjoyable and memorable.
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

It was St Patrick's day and I took an awesome drive up this highway. I loved the "Bigfoot Crossing!" signage along the way, sort of a tongue in cheek poke at the phenom that has become the pop culture following of the mythical beast. There were many spots to stop and get some great pictures. Since it was March I only got up to mile 16 I believe it was, the rest was shut down due to weather restrictions. I did get to see some skiers ski down from spots along the road. For fun I had a plastic water jug that was half filled. On the way up it was a fun science experiment to watch the jug expand. When I stopped I let the air out and took a drink to let the jug go back to normal size. On the way down, I did the opposite and watched the jug shrink due to the change in air pressure increasing. I would recommend a milk jug type plastic jug and drink down maybe half or more water in the jug. It'd be a fun experiment with the kids!

1  Thank Birchbarkcanoe
in 7 reviews
"bucket list"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I lived in Colorado Springs for years and always loved the view of Pike's Peak. However, we NEVER took the highway up there as we always kind of considered that just for tourists. On our last visit to see my mother-in-law, we were up in the Manitou Springs area when the Cog Railway guy recommended we drive up since the railway was only opened on weekends during the off season. My oldest daughter was excited and my wife and I were a bit more 'meh' about the idea. We were pleasantly surprised. Bring your camera and enjoy some of the most gorgeous views. We spent about an hour or so on the drive and had a great time.

1  Thank Rob J
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was recently in Colorado Springs for business during January 2014. So yes it was cold and snowy. My business partner and I had only Saturday morning to see anything so we decided to drive up Pikes Peak.

We got there when the park opened in the morning at 9 am. The rangers told us they were plowing the road to get rid of the snow and that we might not be able to get to the top of Pikes Peak. We were in a rental car. The rangers do a great job on the roads. We made it up to 12, 800 ft which is about 3 miles for the end before we caught up with the snow plow and had to turn around. We did not have the time to wait for them to finish because we had to get to the airport.

The views were spectacular. You get above the timberline around 11,500 ft. We stop at all the pull offs for pictures. Keep in mind that it is a lot colder and windier the higher you go. We got out at 12,800 ft and talked to the ranger that was blocking the road. He said the temp was 20 F and the wind was 30 - 50 mph. Bring a hat and gloves!!!

Loved the drive, totally recommend.

1  Thank ManicZen
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We drove along the Pikes Peak Highway and although part of it was closed due to the weather and we could not drive to the peak, whatever we drove through was wonderful. The snow was clean and we stopped along the highway many times to take in the scenery. I would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank knisah