“Not Good for Lunch”

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Larkspur, Colorado
“Not Good for Lunch”
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

So they only serve their pan fried chicken at dinner. I have been here several times for lunch and been less than impressed. Today we had the chicken fried chicken which is about the thickness of two quarters. The gravy has an OK flavor but is too thin. Mashed potatoes are fresh but have no seasoning whatsoever, not even any salt. And the "vegetable" that they served on the side was a medley of frozen corn green peas and green beans. Yuck! Oh, and by the way corn is a grain not a vegetable. We had the blueberry cobbler which had once again had no flavor at all. The texture and the tastelessness of the blueberries tells me they were frozen. It didn't even taste like it had any sugar in it at all & the berries were rubbery & tasteless. The cobbler cake was completely tasteless as well. I am from the South originally and from a long line of cooks that really know how to cook & make fried chicken and cobbler (me included). Based on what I've had for lunch I would not be inclined to come back for dinner unless they have a completely different cook. I make a killer blueberry cobbler so I know a bad cobbler when I eat one. It's really a shame that they serve a lot of frozen items here. I know the enchiladas are also frozen because we asked to have them without cheese and they told us they come frozen like that with the cheese in them already. Blech! Oh & cobbler was $7 & CFC $11.50.

Castle Rock, Colorado
“Best Chicken Ever”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Castle Cafe has the best pan fried chicken! Yum! You must be prepared to wait, it is not quick, but so worth the wait. They do have other meal choices that don't require so much wait time.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank GotMud
Atlanta, Georgia
“Home made just like Grandma!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I love visiting this place. They have amazing rolls and home made chicken soup. For lunch I like to order the castle cafe salad with chicken, avocado, corn, almonds, dates and homemade dressing. My boys love the home made mac & cheese.My husband had the fried chicken and enjoyed it. I had a friend order the bison meat loaf and loved it. *note* Saturdays they are only open for dinner.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Peach2014
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Lovely spot to eat & catch-up”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

An old friend and I enjoyed a wonderful meal right before Christmas at the Castle Cafe. The ambiance was warm and welcoming, service excellent and the food 'hit the spot'. Our server was so friendly and totally got it that we were trying to catch up and didn't rush us out. If you're looking for a comfortable, laid-back place with comfort food, check out the Castle Cafe!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank TravelerGirl68
Castle Rock, Colorado
“As Good as Grandma's Fried Chicken”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

After we moved to Castle Rock, we set out to find a restaurant that we knew was known for the best country fried chicken. When we went to The Castle Cafe, we walked up to the host desk and the hostess picked up some menus and started to seat us. I stopped her and was getting ready to ask her a question when she interupted me and said: "Yes, This is the Best Fried Chicken Place."
And that was a fact. They also have a wonderful buffalo meatloaf and a few great fish dishes as well.
The Castle Cafe is always packed. And they make a really good cocktail.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Gary W R

Been to Castle Cafe? Share your experiences!