“Wonderful collections for a small-town museum”

Gilpin History Museum
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We really enjoyed this museum - my mother, me, and my two kids (ages 12 and 8). They have several Victorian rooms recreated, along with a Main Street setup showing the various types of businesses they had in the 1890s. Be sure to look at the tops of each room - old buggies and various bicycles and vehicles are up there. They have collections of mining equipment and info, sports info, signatures from the walls of an old tavern, a school room, and interesting things like expandable bosoms from back then. We all found it really interesting across the age span. The volunteer there also gave the kids an activity to do throughout the museum and if they completed it, they got some candy. The museum is located in a beautiful old school house.

There are newer reviews for Gilpin History Museum

Reviewed 29 June 2014

True relics of days gone by. You will get a feel for the life 100 years ago. Mining antiques, clothing and personal articles from the pioneers who settled Central City and Gilpin County.

1  Thank Ravenpac
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I wanted to visit the museum but the reviews said it was only open between Memorial and Labor day. We went anyway because we wanted to see the last of the Fall colors and to visit the cemeteries. As we were walking around town we stopped at the visitor's center just across from the Opera House. It's a mini museum staffed by a very friendly and helpful young lady. I asked about the museum and she was more than happy to open it for us. By then, about nine folks had gathered and we all walked over to the museum. We had younger kids and she had a special task for them to do throughout the museum. If done, the reward was some rock candy! The museum itself it wonderful... full of interesting things. I loved it.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

There are a few stairs to climb to get there, but this museum is GREAT! Not so big that it's takes all day, but just right. The volunteers there are wonderful, and willing to answer questions. Great pictures from Central City area life long ago, several 'rooms' recreated, artifacts from the 1800s....just a great museum.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I agree with the other 2 reviews - I loved the rooms that were restored to convey a drug store, gambling hall, miners cabin etc. There are displays about the brothels, lawyer offices and a mercantile. It does require paid admission ($6 per adult) when we went through. Please support this very worthwhile endeavor in Central City - it shows a great glimpse of the town before this round of gambling (they used to gamble in the 1890's too)

1  Thank randisbrown