“best of the west”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Home Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clark
The Home Ranch
Ellington, Connecticut
“best of the west”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed with folks at the home ranch in the summer and winter .It is an incredible place with some of the best people I ever met.The food is as advertised...excellent.We went in the winter and cross country skied,fed the horses,and enjoyed the winter scenery.I went in the summer where we herded some cattle,rode on the trails and ate some fantastic food.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Home ranch is a life experience!!! It s 2 hours away from vail, and you make some many activities for family and couples like cross country ski, awesome walkings wirh snow shoes, fishing, horse ridding, tubing, and they have one of the best chefs in colorado, Clyde, every single meal is just exquicite!! You have to try them!!! Johnny the hotel director will make you feel at home and will take care of every thing you need. Cabins are perfect and they put every day on the fridge a cheese, candy, and nuts selection for you!! We ll be back next year!!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Magdalenafe
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I just returned from perhaps our 10th visit to Home Ranch. There is a reason we keep returning...Home Ranch is fabulous in every regard. The hospitality is unsurpassed and the food, selection and quality, is amazing. The accommodations are comfortable and quaint. We prefer a private cabin with our own wood stove and hot tub, but the rooms in the lodge are also wonderful. We are winter guests and enjoy the skiing. There is an extensive groomed trail system on the ranch, but the ski guides - Mike and Mark - also offer wonderful off ranch ski trips in the area. If you like x-country skiing, this is your destination!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie R
London,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Our extended family (three generations) spent Christmas week at The Home Ranch and our experience was excellent in all respects. The Ranch is beautifully situated on hundreds of acres of ranch land (it's also a working ranch) about 20 miles from Steamboat Springs . The Ranch provides shuttle service for downhill skiers but almost everyone stays on or near the Ranch due to the large variety of outdoor activities including extensive cross country skiing and snowshoeing trails, horseback riding, tubing etc. (+ off-ranch dod-sledding). While the accommodations are not "luxurious" by some measures (e.g., showers only, but each cabin has its own private got tub), they are tastefully decorated in ranch style and warm and cozy with breathtaking views. Dining is family style but the Chef and his team are superb, providing ample diversity and using many ranch grown or local ingredients. The wine list is also diverse and excellent. Lastly, the staff (most of whom are long-serving) could not be nicer, more welcoming nor more professional, Home Ranch (at least at Christmas) us particularly well-suited for families. It is also hassle free since one does not even need a car (shuttle pick-uo at Hayden airport). Our family loved the place.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We just returned from Home Ranch after spending Christmas week with our family. It was the best hospitality experience I've ever had. The staff was fantastic - very helpful and genuinely friendly. The food was outstanding and the nordic ski trails were well-maintained and beautiful. My 4 year old son and his cousins (3 and 8) had a great time with tubing, sleighing, horseback riding and games in the rec room.

Although the atmosphere is very laid back, it is clear the staff do a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to take care of guests' needs. Johnny, Selena and the rest of the staff were very attentive and did a great job.

We had a great time and will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Roo" cabin. It was great for our family of three. We could have easily...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BrentWilsonIF
Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

My family and I consider ourselves VERY fortunate to have stumbled upon this outstanding vacation venue. We were looking for something to bring us out into the natural environment and where our daughter (21st birthday present from us) could ride horses and hike. I read the reviews beforehand and was feeling that I would take the advice from the 5-star raters over the one bad review. The Ranch did not make a 'wow' impression on me as we drove in - but that feeling changed within one conversation and tour with the host Barbara, and subsequent stay. Then I wondered how I would feel about the communal tables and basically sharing a duplex cabin. The bottom line is that it was far beyond my expectations. Johnny, the Manager and the people who work there are nothing short of amazing and could not do enough for you. The unexpected daily planned activities (barn dance; hayride cookout; wine tasting) and as it turned out even the communal tables, which encouraged conversation with the other guests, became a very bonding experience (allowing even a single traveler to feel like one of a larger group), and one of the things we will treasure most about this trip. Although there were a small group of children here during this week, they were so busy with activities with kids counselors that they were barely around, and this gave the parents an opportunity to do things on their own if they chose, knowing the kids were having a safe, fun time; and for our 'adult' family, was not at all a bother (although there are 'adult only' weeks). There was nothing lacking here - the amenities were luxurious; the food was the most incredible cuisine (all fresh from the onsite gardens). My daughter, being a vegetarian was overwhelmed by all the choices. Being a food critic myself, I can't stop gushing about it, and would return for this alone. The beauty of the peaceful countryside and the mountains, the relaxed atmosphere, the beautiful horses, and again - the staff - all simply made for an outstanding trip! We are already talking about returning next year and bringing BOTH daughters!!

Room Tip: The outlying cabins are rustic yet comfortable, stocked with jars of cookies and candies; the fridge...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scozul
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

The Home Ranch is my favorite place- EVER! I've visited many times over the past few years in both winter and spring and have always had an incredible experience. The food, service, location, and community feeling- everything about this place is amazing.

My most recent visit was particularly incredible as I celebrated my wedding at the Ranch! I worked closely with Selina throughout the nine month planning process and she was always friendly, prompt and professional. Selina and other front desk staff were very helpful in working with other wedding vendors. She thought of every little detail which made being a bride extremely easy, and I'm someone who is generally paranoid about every little detail!

I was also extremely impressed with Johnny, the manager, and his ability to make sure all of our guests were settling in and had everything they needed to make their stay comfortable. It is remarkable how Johnny and all of the other staff are able to remember guest names and preferences. The service staff is really top-notch.

Many of our friends and family took advantage of hiking and horseback riding on the premises which is absolutely breathtaking. They all raved about their experiences, making me jealous that I only got to do a few fun things in the midst of last minute planning details. The wranglers were patient with so many city slickers and novice riders in the group, so a big kudos to them!

And then there's the food and wine. WOW. Ridiculous. This is the main reason we chose to get married at the ranch. The food is outstanding and was really the star of the show. We had bison, lamb, halibut, trout, local greens (grown in the greenhouse right on site!) and the best scallops I've ever tasted as part of our celebration. Lunches everyday consisted of some of the best salads I’ve ever had too – one of my meat-loving friends said she could become a vegetarian if she had delicious options like farro, quinoa and lentils as they were prepared by the Home Ranch chefs. The wine selection is also fantastic. The staff do a great job of presenting wines that pair well with certain dishes without making you feel pressured into one selection or another. I can honestly say the food I’ve eaten at the Ranch is the best food I’ve ever had, all presented in such a community-friendly and unpretentious way.

Aside from the wedding experience, every other visit I've had at the ranch has been wonderful. Contrary to the reviewer below, I have been pleasantly surprised at how humble and down to earth the guests are. I really enjoy the communal dining experience and have had many fantastic conversations with people I never would've met elsewhere. The Home Ranch truly is a gem and a must-visit. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank hbeck09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clark
The Steamboat Grand
Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs
#6 of 21 in Steamboat Springs
Elk River Guest Ranch
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Springs
Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Spring...
#1 of 21 in Steamboat Springs

Been to The Home Ranch? Share your experiences!