“great food, questionable service, appropriate for the true aficionado”
Review of Shinji's Sushi Bar - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shinji's Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Sushi
Description: Phone 719-475-0669. Reviews on Colorado Springs Gazette website, and CSindy.com, a local independent weekly.
Reviewed 7 August 2012

you may only want to come here if you're the type of person that values quality over convenience; there have been times we've come where Shinji was the only person in the place, and service suffered. On the other hand, how cool is it to be served by the owner himself and certified master of his art? The food is great and I'm not sure if it's because it's more traditional or not, but it's not quite the same as the sushi you get in the big chain places, and I mean that in a good way. It's not overly expensive but it may take awhile to get your order placed and for the food to show up; however, if you just take your time, sit at the bar, order some hot sake (the sake he carries seems to be better than most I've tried) and maybe even tell him to serve you whatever he thinks is going to be best that day, and approach it with an open mind, it's guaranteed to knock your socks off if you know anything about good sushi.

Also note: don't bother calling because they've never answered the phone anytime I've called.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Don't be put off by the strip-mall location, Shinji's is absolutely a hidden gem. Dining here is an experience, so order some beer and sake and enjoy. The restaurant is run by Shinji himself, he also is the server, chef and a true sushi master. He prepares everything on the spot for each order including whipping up fresh sauces so don't expect speedy service but it is well worth the wait for the beautifully prepared and presented sushi. Probably the best sushi I've had....ever. Everything was fresh with wonderfully well balanced flavors. Will be back, often!

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I see a lot of reviews that say something along the lines of "BESt SUshI in TOWN LoLZ!!". Almost all are deadly wrong. If you think Denver, Philadelphia, and Krab don't belong in a Sushi restaurant then come here.

A lot of people have a problem here because they don't realize that there is one chef - Shinji! If it's important to get your food quickly then go elsewhere. But, if it's important to you to have your Sushi carefully prepared by the same chef (and it should be), then this is your place.

If you need giant Dragon Rolls and the comforts of an Olive Garden, then stay out of this place and stop wasting the your and the chef's time. If you have patience and want to sample the unique flavors of a master sushi chef, then this is the only place in town.

The one issue that is a continuing quirk of the place is that the service staff is generally not amazing. They're not rude, just slow and slightly confused. Anyways, worth dealing with for the food.

5 overall and for very specific reasons.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We ordered from their very confusing menu and received our food. Upon getting the bill I realized the server put our order in wrong and because we already ate or meal we were forced to over pay by 2x the cost of what we had actually ordered. Never going back. There are MANY better sushi places in Colorado Springs. Felt totally robbed.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I must say we have been trying to find a good sushi place here in colorado springs since our arrival a few months ago...Sinjis came highly recomended by some friends so we decided to give it a try...what a disappointment...we arrived when there was only one other table and were told to seat ourselfs wich we did only to sit there for about 5u minutes with no one even taking our drink orders...when the server came over I was a little stunned at how polite and apolegetic he was and decided to be a little more relaxed as he seemed anxious enough...poor boy. We ordered and food started coming to the table extremly slowly the company was pleasant so I waited patiently for my one roll to apear...only it didn't I ordered a cooked roll and was extremly confused when the server brought the bill and asked if there was anything else he could get us. I then said "Im sorry sir but my roll never came" the server looked terrified and said he would ask the chef...what came next was beyond my conprehension...the chef and owner of this place storms over and says I had that roll on the first plate...I shook my head and said no sir it was not there and he lost his mind started pointing his finger in my face and saying I was trying to cheat him...my friends had eaten all the sushi on the plate and can assure me there was not a shrimp roll in sight...I was greatly shocked when the owner kept yelling in my face that he was a professional and that he was going to call the police...at this point u could not help but laugh...profesionals do not come to a table and yell at their customers under any circustances...what made it worse than my bewilderment, was the poor server tried to talk to the angry owner only to be barked at to go to the kitchen like a small child...at this point I was more angry than shocked. The owner yells at my friends and I, to pay and leave and never come back...like I needed telling twice. I payed for my food I never received and was screamed at in front of the other table that happened to be occupied and was threatened never to come back. Now I have worked in the hotel and foodservice industry since I was 15 years old and I can honestly say that I have never been treated with more disrespect as tonight not by a customer, coworker or manager. It is no surprise to me that this man cannot keep enployees, its beyond me how he keeps customers...because I for one will never be back nor will my friends...my husband has been eating sushi since he was 2 years old...he is overseas at the moment, but we go out to sushi regularly and I can safely warn him and anyone new to the area to not support this man's businesses. Not when he blatantly disrespects his employees and his customers.

1  Thank MLG07