“Where to begin?”

Ranked #28 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
SE Michigan
“Where to begin?”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

As a frequent traveler, I have come to rely on Marriott's consistent, high quality properties and the amenities that come with premium guest status. So, it is with great regret that I can only give this Marriott a 2-out-of-5 rating.

I arrived well after sunset. In the shadow of the mountains just to the west, the area around the hotel is very dark and not well marked. Although the hotel is visible from the road, it is high on a hill and set well back from Rockrimmon Blvd and Tech Center Drive which border the property. The intersection of Rockrimmon and Tech Center is not lighted, and the hotel's entrance signage is about 200 ft north of the intersection behind a natural rock wall. You can be forgiven for missing it completely.

Finally climbing up the hotel drive, also not well marked or lit, was a brief but confusing affair of switchbacks, parking lots stacked like cake layers with no secondary outlets, and a hotel beckoning to you from the summit of a hill that seems just out of reach. If you make it to the top and the main entrance before dawn, award yourself the victory, park your car, and stay put for the night. If not, check that you brought extra blankets and some food. If it snows, they may not find you and your car until spring.

The two-story lobby is beautiful and appears to be at least somewhat recently renovated. There are nice spaces for private conversations, a large hearth, and an open bar/restaurant with plenty of requisite, flat screen TVs showing the evening's sporting events.

The room itself was typical Marriott with the usual bed, work area, TV and armoire. I took advantage of the fitness center on the second floor and while it wasn't very large, appeared to have mostly modern, Life Fitness equipment. The drawback is that it adjoins the hotel pool. The staff has placed all towels, including for the pool, in the fitness center. That creates plenty of traffic in the fitness center, particularly from people (including children) who walk into the room to watch one of the TVs while taking a break from swimming. It's both distracting and annoying.

I wandered into the concierge lounge after my workout and found that the evening food options consisted of a small selection of items, including one warm/hot snack that appeared to be quesadillas. It was certainly a less ambitious spread than I've seen in other full-service Marriotts, and more in line with a similar property at which I've stayed in Ogden, UT. I wasn't impressed.

The biggest disappointment, though, was the lukewarm-bordering-on-cold shower I took in the morning. Mind you, I awoke at 5:00 AM and proceeded more or less directly to the bathroom. There should have been plenty of hot water at that hour, but that was not the case. I also found to my dismay that there was no bath soap in my room, and had to use the hand soap. That's not a big deal, but a hand soap is about half the size of a bath bar.

All in all, this property did not measure up to what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand. I might stay here again if only because I am more or less beholden to Marriott Rewards. Given a good alternative, however, I might think twice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MI_TravelFreq
cosmc, General Manager at Colorado Springs Marriott, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We did experience a maintenance issue during your stay that caused the water to not be at the appropriate temperature. I hope you will consider staying with us in the future and receive the service that you are accustom to.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Reviewed 15 October 2013

More cons then pros. From the start, it was our anniversary night, we had just drove 12 hrs to get there. Our check in was at 4pm, we arrived at 6pm and we were told our room wasn't ready, but that it would be in 40 minutes. We were understanding and they gave us drink vouchers to compensate. We decided to save the vouchers for the morning. Meanwhile, I went in search of the restroom. I found there was only one, I went in and was reprimanded by housekeeping, an older guy, he told me that I would have to wait, the bathroom was being cleaned. I really couldn't wait and mentioned this, he said, I should have seen the sign, I said there wasn't one, he argued, as I left the bathroom, I noted that there WAS NOT a "Restroom Closed" sign. My husband had to go ask the guy if I could please use the bathroom, the guy reluctantly agreed and waited outside. As I was leaving I thanked the man, he just stared at me.
Meanwhile, it had been more then 40 minutes, so my hubby checked on our room status, and found that it was still not ready. They gave us dinner vouchers and treated us to dinner at the on site restaurant. So we spent Anniversary dinner in our travel clothes, but they were very kind at the restaurant and our waiter was FANTASTIC. Don't remember his name, I believe he was from Europe. So kind and made our dining experience fun.
Finally our room was ready, we had mentioned it was our Anniversary, they ended up giving us a room with 2 double beds, not a king like we had asked for. The Doors to all the rooms were extremely loud, even when you tried to close them quietly they would slam. They were heavy and they slammed all night. The walls were paper thin, in addition to the romantic full size beds we were given, they placed us next to a couple with a toddler and newborn that cried all night. My husband did end up getting sick that eve, I can't say for sure that it was the Salmon that he had ordered at the Restaurant, but that was all he had since an early lunch.
It was a rough experience. The management and front desk were friendly however. That helped.
We used our drink vouchers at the onsite Starbucks or coffee bar that brewed Starbucks there at Hotel, we ordered 2 Cafe Mochas on our way out the door, only to find out that the drinks were nothing more then watered down warm milk, no coffee or mocha to be found. Shoulda known, it was free after all.
Just a sad time, I don't recommend Colorado Springs Marriott. Which is too bad, I generally like Marriotts.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
cosmc, General Manager at Colorado Springs Marriott, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
I very much appreciate your comments and an very sorry that we did not meet you expectations. I am pleased that our staff tried to make amends that you were unable to get the room type requested. In some cases room types are not guaranteed and request can not be met. I hope you will give us another chance to provide the level of service that you deserve.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Multiple stays at a property give you a sense of what works and what isn't working.

Front Desk: staff are always pleasant and accommodating.

Restaurant: staff are equally pleasant and accommodating. Food quality seems to be a bit hit and miss. Breakfast is always a winner. The buffet is second to none in this hotel category. Lunch is average. Dinner is really the hit or miss. Steaks can be average and not always prepared as requested. I don't send food back thus can't speak to their ability to correct their mistakes. Food shouldn't hit the table unless its right the first time. Honest wait staff will back me up on this point. Dress code is casual. We even saw a teen girl dining barefooted with her mother. Isn't that a health code violation?

Bar: service is consistently slow. During our most recent visit, we ordered Cosmo martinis. We waited over 10 minutes to be served, and to our surprise, the drinks were served in glasses that were amazing similar to the glasses found in the bathroom. When we inquired why no martini glass for our martinis, we were told that "guests keep stealing the martini glasses so we're not replacing them." Tacky decision, if true.

Housekeeping: lacks great attention to detail. I even tip housekeeping staff on my first morning and still get mediocre service. I should mention I always stay in a suite, thus expect a certain level of cleanliness. Instead, I've seen a disgusting, crusted remote control, dirty furniture and most recently, the complimentary water bottle was unsealed and not full. In addition, they removed our partially used shampoo and failed to replace it, leaving us without shampoo the next morning.

When you spend over $200 p/night, eat all your meals on property and patronize the bar and on-site Starbucks, you come to expect a certain attention to detail and this property consistently misses the mark. They aren't major misses but they show poor attention to details. Lately, the misses seem to be increasing.

As much as I enjoy the location and mountain views from my suite, I'll be looking for another property during my next stay in Colorado Springs.

Room Tip: Request a mountain view, if possible.
2 Thank RomanceWriter
Thank you your response and candid comments. I appreciate your compliments on our staff but very concerned on the issues your mentioned. I can assure you that the proper action will be taken and I apologize that your stay was not as it should be.
Berlin, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed one night over Labor Day weekend. It also happened to be a home football game and parents weekend at the Air Force Academy so the hotel was very busy. We were checked in quickly and happy to get a room on the top floor. As others have mentioned, try to book a room on the west (back) of the hotel for the amazing mountain view.
Not sure why people are complaining about the beds, our king was just as comfy as our bed at home and we were both out like lights shortly after hitting the pillow. I would certainly return to this hotel on my next trip to the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel offer excellent mountain views. If you can, take a peek outside...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and patronage. Please visit us again in the very near future.
Colorado
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We came to this Marriott for an Air Force game. Lots of alumni stay here and there are parties going in a lot of rooms. The lobby is nice, and the staff were very friendly. The hotel has a really bumpy middle elevator that seems to not work correctly. Also, the hotel has dated wallpaper in the rooms and the paper is showing wear in the bathroom. Popcorn ceilings are in the rooms as well. We had a king with a nice view of the Springs. The bed, however, did not have a pillow top mattress, and it was stiff. Also, the tables were nicked in quite a few spots. The buffet breakfast was quite good, and the restaurant was full the morning after the game. It is an ok hotel for Marriott standards, but they really need to update the mattress. It is situated in a beautiful area of Colorado Springs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
cosmc, General Manager at Colorado Springs Marriott, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for responding and your comments were well recieved.
Georgia Coast, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our large group had a class reunion banquet there. The food and service were absolutely great.
My filet was cooked to perfection, and my wife's salmon was equally good. I've been to alot of banquets, and this was among the tops! If you're planning an event in Colorado Springs, this facility is top-notch.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We are so glad that you enjoyed your reunion, dinner and service, it was our pleasure to serve you.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 September 2013

After leaving one hotel and checking into this one I was ready for good customer service and hospitality. I was not disappointed. The staff was very accommodating. The view overlooking Pikes Peak is really pretty. (caution, it does not look like the website view) but it still has beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Room Tip: I highly recommend a room with a view, facing west, towards the mountains. (the backside of the buil...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will visit us again in the future.