“Quiet Location”

Ranked #40 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Denver, Colorado
“Quiet Location”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This Courtyard is sheltered from street traffic, which made for a quiet stay. The hotel is in good shape and kept clean. In fact, this is one of the few hotel rooms where the air conditioner did not wake me up in the middle of the night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Slovak first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel was overall nice.
It was annoying for me that the lobby did not have free coffee available.. Which is a norm for most nicer hotels these days.
People were very nice overall and helpful.
Hotel felt overpriced for what you got.... Basically you only got the room.
It was also annoying that there was zero free breakfast... You had to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner... And it was not cheap considering the high hotel rate to boot.
The gym and pool were ok... Very small and only to check the box on 'amenities' available.
I am a huge fan of Marriott from around the world... I will try another one next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gene A, General Manager at Courtyard Colorado Springs South, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Kurt A,

Thank you taking the time to complete a review on our property and sharing your experience. I really appreciate your candor regarding your concerns. Several years ago, Marriott decided to convert all Courtyards to a Bistro restaurant concept. And while breakfast is not complimentary at any of the 891 Courtyards, it does offer a wider variety of quality, freshly prepared food items. In addition, we brew a variety of Starbucks beverage options, with complimentary coffee available in all guest rooms, per Marriott standards. I certainly understand the concerns you expressed and am truly sorry it detracted from your visit...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

You'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck, but the floors seem to be insulated with tin. Unfortunately, that sums up our night's stay and knocks off a star. The staff's unwillingness to move us on what was clearly not a 'sold out' night, as they stated, takes care of the other star. We had, what sounded to be, a poorly run daycare camped above us. No bueno.

Getting past that, you're looking at a great operation with a gorgeous revamp. The room was virtually perfect and the location is a nice jumping off point. Highly recommended if you don't mind rolling the dice on noise!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Gene A, General Manager at Courtyard Colorado Springs South, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Rusty S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Feedback like yours is so valuable to our operations. I am glad you liked the property and the value. It is so unfortunate that the room above you was making noise that detracted from your experience. With families travelling on vacation, noise certainly can be a challenge for any property. It is my understanding that our staff did ask some folks to keep the noise levels down this weekend. I would like to offer one clarification. We have, in fact, been sold out for over 10 nights straight including this entire weekend. I wouldn't want you to think our staff was being disingenuous when they were unable to transfer you to another room. In any event, I am so sorry that we weren't able to give you the outstanding hotel experience that we strive . I hope you will try us again in the future, so we can make up for it.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here this past weekend to attend a wedding being held at the Broadmor. If your travel requires you to be part of an event at the Broadmor like our's, it is ideally located less than 2 miles down the street. While it does not compare to grandeur and ambiance of the Broadmor, it was an excellent choice because when we were wait listed at the Broadmor and potentially left without a place to stay, we found this location.

The property appears to be recently remodeled in both the common areas and in the rooms. The new centralized area and cutting edge concepts of limited meal service/drinks and grab & go food are a nice touch and offered at reasonable rates. The restaurant in the parking lot - Flat Irons is excellent and offers a nice place for lunch/dinner/drinks. Ironically, it was the location for all of the non Broadmor social activities for the wedding attendees because of its accessibility and lack of stuffiness.

The rooms and bathroom were outfitted with modern decor and the beds appeared to be foam core and quite comfortable. The rooms were remarkably quiet and the overall experience was a pleasant surprise.

If I would offer any critical comments, there was not a blanket on the bed and at night the room got quite cold and the pillows were flat - both minor in the overall experience.

I did not have much interaction with the staff, but we did not need to as alot of what was offered was intuitive.

Great property overall, and for a trip where we were not in the room for too long because of planned activities, it was an excellent value against the 3x greater price than I would have paid at the Broadmor!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've stayed in Courtyard's before. I know for the most part these hotels have more of a business clientele... but when your in Co Springs right next to the mountains I would expect that they experience the tourist family like we were. This hotel has a great location to get most anywhere in the area quickly. Room was decent enough - large and accommodated. As with other Courtyards... the food selection is limited at the hotel (business folk are out and about... so they don't keep a kitchen open all day and what they have is limited to Marriott planned offerings - just like every other Courtyard you'll stay at). The issue we had was w/ the cleaning crew. Our room was not picked up on consecutive days. The first day - after leaving at 8 that morning - we arrived back at roughly 4:30 that afternoon to a room that was not yet cleaned. The family was tired... so we had to ask for new towels and coffee. On the second day - we left at a similar time and returned at around 7 in the evening to a still not cleaned room. To our surprise - *a* do not disturb sign was on our door. My wife and I both checked the morning before we left to make sure there was nothing on the door - and there was not. Once inside the room - *our* do not disturb sign was still hanging on the inside handle. So... I had *two* do not disturb signs and a dirty room. Front desk was not helpful... no apology. Nothing. This Courtyard needs to understand that they do have tourists coming in and better accommodate their needs and schedules.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whitescATX
Gene A, General Manager at Courtyard Colorado Springs South, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear whitescATX,

Thank you for completing a review on our property. While experiences such as yours are exceedingly rare, they are equally important for us to hear about. First and foremost, please accept my apology for the inconvenience you experienced. While we do have many guests that are business travelers, we are very much a leisure hotel in the Summer. When we have a full house, our suite attendants are at times servicing guestrooms until 5pm. They are typically completed in order (if available) or if there is a request for early service. As for the do not disturb sign, there are numerous plausible possibilities for that, but it would be speculation. In any event, our staff will typically not enter a room or knock on a door with a do not disturb sign, unless there is an emergency. Once again, we are sorry for the less than stellar experience and thank you for the feedback. I will share it with our staff during our daily meeting to ensure that these concerns are addressed.
Dallas
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here several nights with the family. Admittedly we don't normally stay at Courtyards so may have a different expectation (prefer HGI but couldn't get a room). We reserved a king bed with a sofa bed for the four of us and the family was disappointed the minute they saw the room. I've never seen a smaller room in this category outside of Tokyo. No way they should book this as a four person room. Housekeeping was really inconsistent. For example even though we were obviously using the sofa bed they took the sheets and didn't replace them. Oddly there was no trash can anywhere near the bathroom which was quite awkward. The sofa was one of those curved back types we did not find comfortable. Was ok for the kids though. Compared to HGI the breakfast choices were quite limited and not well cooked. The Starbucks coffee was good. We tried to get drinks one evening and that was really slow. They only had one person to cover both the front desk and the Bistro the whole time we were there. One woman waited 20 minutes for her food order. So the lobby wasn't a happy place the one evening we used it.

The remodel does look modern but if this is typical of a new Courtyard we will avoid them for family travel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Road_Fun_Fam
Gene A, General Manager at Courtyard Colorado Springs South, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Road Fun Fam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor and Yelp. I am so sorry that you did not have a great experience and I will bring your concerns to our staff to ensure that these issues are not repeated. As you can see from our strong record of reviews, this is by no means typical of an experience at our property. It is nonetheless a serious concern for me. We work hard to provide an excellent experience to all of our guests and I am truly sorry that you did not catch us at our best. As for the room size, I agree that it is not the ideal room type for a family of 4 and we don't market it as such. We have a number of other room types that are larger and more conducive to sleeping 4 comfortably. However, for the business traveler, this is always our most popular room. Once again please accept our sincere apology for not meeting your expectations.
Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a nice Courtyard hotel. We just had one night so it worked fine for us for the most part. I was disappointed that there was no hot tub. I don't think I have ever stayed at a Marriott that didn't have one and I've stayed at many Courtyards and Fairfields. It is a basic hotel for sleeping needs, nothing fancy at all. I am giving this four stars only because the service was excellent. When we called for extra towels in the evening, they were brought up immediately. The breakfast was delicious and the service at the restaurant far exceeded my expectations of a Courtyard. Front desk staff was super kind and helpful too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gelika
Dear Gelika,

Thank you so much for the kind review of our property. I am so glad that you had a nice experience and impression of our property and staff. Feedback like yours really helps validate the hard work that our staff does in maintaining the property and providing memorable guest experiences. Sorry about the hot tub. I will pass on your kind words to our staff and hope you will come and see us again when your travels bring you back to Colorado Springs. Safe Travels!