“I'll be back for sure”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Colorado Springs
Ranked #82 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Not the most knowledgeable staff. The lady at the front desk had to re-key the room so both of the keys worked and she didn't know where I could find a pharmacy. They do have free Wifi so I found that out myself. The King bed was great. The HotTub next to the bed was awesome. the cable was less that desirable would have liked a guide channel or something and more movie options but I found entertainment. My friend said it was better than the military cot he had in the bunk on base. It's right off the freeway which is nice granted you have to pass it and go flop a U a few blocks away if you are coming from the North Nevada side. Still comfortable. The back of the toilet tank was cracked and there were homeless people in the park across the street and they don't allow pets. Over all I'm going back if for nothing else to use that hot hot hot water in the hot tub. One of my most fun and relaxing vacations. And No the Homeless weren't a problem they were never on the hotel property. My honeymoon hotel with my first husbands was much worse than this.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Primaris

Reviewed 4 September 2010

I think these people are ridiculous with their complaints, it is probably the cheapest place to stay in C. Springs, it is obviously not the Hilton. The lady at the front desk (Kimberly) was very nice and was able to get me in a room right away. Its not a very nice place but I didn't expect it to be for the money, its clean with wifi and close to everything.

....Nate of Montrose, Co

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 18 June 2010

First thing the first room took three to get air conditioning was a nasty nasty room the air conditioner didnt work a little complaining they moved us to another room conditioner fine the room painted thought I was at a different hotel. Well the sink didnt drain nice but the air worked a plus at best hot today. went the next day they wanted to move us said fine, I am a smoker and the nice room was non smoking . We get back from royal gorge all day wanted cold air and a shower sat on the bed and someone had thrown up on the floor between the bed and center table nasty place would warn everyone to stay clear from this cheap filthy nasty hole in the wall . They moved us back with some steady complaining.
DONT EVER prepay three nights without seeing what you are getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!! And did not have two queen beds as advertised a queen and a full size not what I paid for online......

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jowings
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We picked this hotel for location and that was the only good part. Filthy carpet, surly service, trash behind the drawers, unflushed toilet on check-in, bath we had to clean. If HoJo are trying to improve their name then they should bullbozer this hotel or get management that care about cleanliness and service. Book this hotel if you want the Eastern Block experience from the 80's.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank TommoUSA
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We had a coupon from a travel book, which brought the price down to a very reasonable rate. Beds were comfortable and room was clean. Overall, very "passable" and a great deal with the coupon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2008

As we were driving to our destination, Colorado Springs, my husband told me we were staying at a Howard Johnson. Needless to say, I was relieved. With two small children, I wanted a clean, comfortable room where we could rest for the next leg of our journey.

As we pulled into the dimly lit parking lot, I became uneasy. The lights in the lot barely shed light on the hotel, let alone the parking lot - an indication of a lack of safety knowledge. I determined to alter my attitude; after all, this was associated with the Howard Johnson name, right? Even though the company apparently purchased a seedy hotel in a rough neighborhood, they would take every precaution necessary to protect their good name. At least that was my thought as we went to our room.

I was completely wrong. The room, while modest, was difficult to swallow. There was a large spike strip with several appliances plugged into it, sitting on the BASE of the jacuzzi tub in the front room - a fire hazard and another indication of a lack of safety knowledge. The bathroom had holes in the wall and large chunks from the sink and shelf missing as though guests had attempted to open beer bottles on them rather than using the opener nailed to the back of the door. Although we requested a non-smoking room, this room had apparently been used as a smoking room at some time and had been "flowered" over with perfumed spray. We arrived around 9:00 P.M. and attempted to settle into our room.

I unpacked our two year old and our two month old and prepared to settle them in for the night. At 10:00, our air conditioner quit working, so I called the front desk to ask for a different room. The clerk, I believe his name was Raul, informed me he "just had that air conditioner fixed, and the other people who complained about their air conditioner just had to turn it down a little bit."

So we accommodated his request.

The air conditioner still didn't work. He called back to check and I told him we just needed a new room. He moved us two doors down, to Room 115. So, late at night, we packed up our luggage and our two children and moved down the sidewalk.

The new room, a non-smoking room, was a welcomed change - or so I thought. After putting the kids to bed, I went into the bathroom, again to be greeted with holes in the wall and a large hole in the wall-paper. Again, I steeled myself to have a good attitude and, as long as my kids didn't touch anything but the sheets, they were probably safe.

I would not be writing this letter if that is all that had happened... The next morning, I went into the bathroom and started to use the facilities when I watched a trail of ants emerge from under the baseboard and crawl across the bathroom and enter the baseboard at another spot. I shook my head in disbelief.

How could Howard Johnson, a well-known and respected institution, allow this to happen to their name, especially in an age where websites and the rapid flow of information means businesses have to be aware of everything that is happening on their grounds?

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank brncofan
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We did not even stay at this hotel. It was questionable on arrival. But we had to stay close in the area due to our car being at the dealrship for repair. The whole strip is questionable in fact. Colorado Springs has far better areas. First the office was dirty and unorganized. When we get our rooms there are belongings for families in both rooms. When we went to the front desk his only response was that he had just got on shift. We asked for a refund and left. What if we were asleep and he gave someone our key. When he gave us our recipt he put on there that we did not like our rooms. Of course not!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family