“Great Island Escape”

Ranked #175 of 1,422 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Spice Island Grill is the most authentic Casual Dining Jamaican Restaurant in Colorado Springs, tucked in the historic Downtown Depot district. At SIG you will enjoy traditional authentic Jamaican dishes from this exclusive tropical hideaway. Menu includes many island favorites that will treat your pallet and satisfy your hunger. Guests enjoy dining in the ambiance of a fun, spacious, and relaxed setting. It’s an electric innovative family restaurant with Jamaican chefs, who whip up various authentic Jamaican dishes using generations of family recipes such as, beef oxtail, curry goat, Jerk chicken, Escovitched fish and much more. This menu is complimented by their unique appetizers, home-made desserts, and cocktails. As you dine, you can hear the rhythm of Reggae in the background which adds to the flavor of Caribbean atmosphere. Come for the food, stay for the experience!
“Great Island Escape”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere felt very authentic and had adorable decorations. The food was wonderful and I especially appreciated the large vegetarian menu. It took almost two hours to order, wait for our food, and eat, but they're on island time so that's okay! I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing island escape.

Gardena, California
“Must have been an off Tues...”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Daughter and I stopped in based on high TA rating. It was a Tues eve (~7ish) and maybe 6 other parties were seated when we walked in. After seeing only 2 employees in the first 5 minutes, I figured we were in for a "relaxed" dining pace. Don't get me wrong, the 2 folks serving were extremely pleasant and also apologetic for the slow-pace, I take it even slower than usual. Daughter (who is a picky eater) ordered grilled chicken breast but they were out, so opted for the chicken curry. I chose jerk shrimp. Both entrees came with 2 sides from a list of several options (plaintains were an easy default for both of us). After several minutes (20 maybe 25??), our food appeared, simply but neatly presented. First bite of my shrimp - overdone. First bite of my daughters chicken - equally overdone. But the flavor was good on both, the Red Stripe was cold and the tab was not outrageous. Nice relaxed ambiance. Maybe an off night? But definitely not 4 or 4.5 stars.

Farragut, Tennessee
“Spicy and sweet!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I went tonight in a party of nine. We all had something different and everyone LOVED it. The appetizers were a great start! Fried plantains, jerk chicken, sweet potatoes, etc. Wasn't disappointed by anything I tried. Friendly service and great food!

Colorado Springs
“Relax and Enjoy”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

One of my favorite places for lunch, with some of the most authentic and delicious Jamaican food you are going to find on the front range. Over time I have become friends with everyone there as I have eaten over a dozen times. I enjoy the Ting and Curry Pork...curry is good, jerk is good...LOVE the plantains. If you are missing the Caribbean life or want to feel like you are visiting....here you go...relax and enjoy. Service is not speedy so do not go in a hurry. Have fun!

• Visited March 2014
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Amazing food, incredible staff.”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

It took us a while to find the restaurant, but when we did, it was totally worth it.
The atmosphere of the restaurant was warm and inviting. The staff were very friendly. The food is affordable and it was so delicious. I had the curried goat, for the first time, and it was honestly one of the best meals I've had in a restaurant. We actually came back a second time, and the food was equally as delicious. I totally recommend this restaurant. We are West Indian, so we know good Island food, and man was it good!